Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:35 AM   #26
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Thinner with a larger screen is something I'm really excited about!

Can't wait to see and own this thing!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:36 AM   #27
foodog
macrumors 6502a

But will it blend?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:38 AM   #28
happywaffle
macrumors newbie

"Occasionally-reliable." Ha.
happywaffle is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:40 AM   #29
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

What exactly are we talking about here. Microscopic fractions of a millimeter or like full millimeters?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:48 AM   #30
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1121j View Post
How much thinner can a display get and still be tough enough to make a difference?
I think it is more about the display itself and its components, not about the cover glass which protects it. So, you get i tiny layer eliminated by integrating the sensor into the display instead of a layer between display and cover glass.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:49 AM   #31
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Cool, I guess.

I qualify my "cool" just because whenever I use my iPhone the last thing I ever think is "Man, I wish this thing was thinner."

My 40-year-old eyes are just hoping the 4" screen rumors are true (and I'm pretty sure they are).
Yeah but do you ever wish for better battery life? This would help them put in a bigger battery .
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:57 AM   #32
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

I greatly look forward to duck taping three together in the morning for triple blade shaving goodness.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:59 AM   #33
fruitycups
macrumors 6502

this is nice.

thinner touch screen.

thinner gorilla glass.

more space for battery!
fruitycups is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:05 AM   #34
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Improving technology is great. More space for other things in the device, or a thinner device. Other things is my preference.

The fact that it is Japanese manufacturers adds more weight to the possibility that the next iPhone might have an IGZO screen.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #35
wrkactjob
Banned

I want to be able to slip my iPhone into the pocket of my shirt and not even feel its there.

One day!
wrkactjob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:26 AM   #36
docziandras
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
I just hope they dont keep making them thinner for the sake of thinness.

If the LCD is thinner, i just hope they put a larger battery.
I guess they also try to find space for the LTE chip, which is larger than the 3G chips. The battery may be bigger too because LTE needs more power. So I don't think the device will be thinner at all.
docziandras is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:30 AM   #37
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
I want to be able to slip my iPhone into the pocket of my shirt and not even feel its there.

One day!
I'm the opposite, I love a heavy-ish device so I can know it's there. If I don't feel it, I worry someone has stolen it or I've left it somewhere by accident.. and I already don't feel it's there sometimes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by docziandras View Post
I guess they also try to find space for the LTE chip, which is larger than the 3G chips. The battery may be bigger too because LTE needs more power. So I don't think the device will be thinner at all.
It better be world ready LTE this time, instead of USA only! There is no way I am paying the premium for LTE if I can't use it (and I want usable LTE in my next phone). I'll just buy a second hand 4S or an Android if I can't use LTE on it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:33 AM   #38
docziandras
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
I'm the opposite, I love a heavy-ish device so I can know it's there. If I don't feel it, I worry someone has stolen it or I've left it somewhere by accident.. and I already don't feel it's there sometimes.
It's the same by me. Heavier somehow feels more durable and well-built too, in my opinion.
docziandras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:37 AM   #39
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
I just hope they dont keep making them thinner for the sake of thinness.

If the LCD is thinner, i just hope they put a larger battery.
They wouldn't do it for the sake of thinness of the display. Either they are going to make the device thinner, lighter, or use extra space for more battery.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:38 AM   #40
docziandras
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It better be world ready LTE this time, instead of USA only! There is no way I am paying the premium for LTE if I can't use it (and I want usable LTE in my next phone). I'll just buy a second hand 4S or an Android if I can't use LTE on it.
Agreed! I'm also outside the US and it has kinda upset me. Even though I couldn't use it because LTE is not so advanced where I live.
docziandras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:49 AM   #41
nagromme
macrumors G4

It would be interesting for some researcher/reporter to take a step back and look at how iOS (or Apple in general) has advanced technologies of all kinds, which then go on to affect other industries. iPhone led directly to Android and Windows Metro (the first as a clone attempt, the second as a response). It resulted in mass-production of all kinds of tech, used by many more companies than just Apple themselves. Think of all the things that Apple didn’t even invent, but that because of Apple, are big enough in the market for someone else to invent them; maybe including this. Or, at least big enough in the market to be worth evolving farther, making smaller, etc. Heck, iPhone probably led to faster advancement of e-ink and OLED tech!
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #42
heisetax
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic View Post
Another iPhone rumor? It's not even May yet. Where oh where are the Mac news?
Not here for sure. They've just forgot to change the name to iToy Rumors.
heisetax is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:59 AM   #43
knewsom
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there are phones already using this?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:02 AM   #44
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Isn't the iPhone already thin enough?

I don't see what making it even thinner would accomplish. In fact, a thinner iPhone may actually be harder to hold comfortably in your hand at this point.
did you see an announcement anywhere from apple stating it would be thinner? i havent.

but if they can make components smaller & thinner, they can increase battery size -- necessary for things like LTE and bigger screens. thats the point of smaller components.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:06 AM   #45
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheDog View Post
I greatly look forward to duck taping three together in the morning for triple blade shaving goodness.
Brilliant! But 5 would give a smoother shave.

I can't see the iPhone getting thinner if it stays an all-glass shell. It's already fragile enough. If the glass were more flexible or if that Liquid Metal back becomes a reality, then it might be possible to slim it down. But I agree with another poster: it can only get so thin before it becomes uncomfortable to hold.
jayducharme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:56 AM   #46
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

No more iPhone rumors until all the new Macs are released.
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #47
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
Does anyone know if there are phones already using this?
Apparently not. Like the new iPad's "Retina" this technology is something that's waiting for someone who's capable of making a big investment and quantity guarantee to make it viable in production.

While it can provide a thinner display and smaller bezel, the big problem I've heard last year is that with in-cell display the touch sensitivity can suffer, and we know how important that is to Apple. If this rumor is true they must've spend a great deal of effort fixing that problem.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #48
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by docziandras View Post
Agreed! I'm also outside the US and it has kinda upset me. Even though I couldn't use it because LTE is not so advanced where I live.
It will.

Quote:
The MDM9615 and MDM8215 are designed to pair up with the WTR1605 radio frequency IC and PM8018 power management IC to provide a highly integrated chipset solution. The WTR1605 will be Qualcomm’s first Radio Transceiver in Wafer Level Package and will be a highly integrated radio transceiver with multi-mode (LTE FDD, LTE TDD, CDMA, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, GSM) and multi-band support.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...ile-broadband-

Next iPhone after that (2013) will probably support LTE Adv.

Quote:
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) today announced that its next generation Gobi™ modem chipsets, the MDM8225™, MDM9225™ and MDM9625™ chipsets, will begin sampling in Q4 2012 and will be the first to support both HSPA+ Release 10 and the next-generation of the LTE mobile broadband standard, LTE Advanced.
http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...a-release-10-l
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #49
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Cool, I guess.

I qualify my "cool" just because whenever I use my iPhone the last thing I ever think is "Man, I wish this thing was thinner."

My 40-year-old eyes are just hoping the 4" screen rumors are true (and I'm pretty sure they are).
I agree. It's still one of the best built phones on the market, and still manages to weight a little less and be pretty darn thin.

I hope the 4" screen rumors are VERY true. The iPhone just needs to have a bigger screen before I drop the $$$ for it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:18 PM   #50
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
It will.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...ile-broadband-

Next iPhone after that (2013) will probably support LTE Adv.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releas...a-release-10-l
I don't know any carriers that have even announced a roadmap for LTE-advanced. Got to be several years out still. They are focusing on initial LTE roll-out to start with.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion