Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #51
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
wait, you were first arguing against sex outside of wedlock, now it seems that you support pre-marital sex. Choose a side sir.
Where did he argue that? He quite clearly said that sex existed long before marriage rites: the very definition of pre-marital sex.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:34 PM   #52
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
wait, you were first arguing against sex outside of wedlock, now it seems that you support pre-marital sex. Choose a side sir.
No I was saying the Bible doesn't say marriage out of wedlock is bad.

Thats a BS story churches make up.

Personally I think pre-marital sex is a great thing. Its a pretty important part of a relationship, and to get married to someone you don't know in the sack is just a bad idea if you ask me.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:38 PM   #53
/user/me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Where did he argue that? He quite clearly said that sex existed long before marriage rites: the very definition of pre-marital sex.
Yep, My bad - Completely missed his statements after "I just wanted to chime in and say the Bible never says "No sex before marriage"."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
No I was saying the Bible doesn't say marriage out of wedlock is bad.

Thats a BS story churches make up.
Yep. I can clearly see that that was your position. Without reading all your posts in context, it was hard to gather that. Sorry.
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:40 PM   #54
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Yep. I can clearly see that that was your position. Without reading all your posts in context, it was hard to gather that. Sorry.
No worries
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:59 PM   #55
/user/me
Banned

Quote:
No worries
Excellent. Thanks for the understanding.
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #56
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks for the understanding.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it too sometimes
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:15 PM   #57
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Personally I think pre-marital sex is a great thing. Its a pretty important part of a relationship, and to get married to someone you don't know in the sack is just a bad idea if you ask me.
Agree.

But even given their position (Missionary) at least Western churches aren't as bad as Muslim ones, where you get a prize in a cracker-jacks box, and have no idea what it is.

Still, gotta keep cranking those kids out, in the name of religion.
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:01 PM   #58
NickZac
macrumors 68000

If you want to be technical, even the states with 'better' teen pregnancy rates are still really bad compared to other industrialized nations. You are talking under 10 in many other industrialized nations...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:45 AM   #59
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not all translations have those verses to mean "unmarried couples", instead they simply implies sex.

Words meant different things back in those days, and language as a whole was completely different.
So why worry about what the Bible says and go through the bother of picking and choosing the parts you like? Just write your own. It's not like God's going to sue you for stealing His ideas. Just change the names a bit if you worried about copyright infringement. For example, you could call the devil "Fred" in your holy book and replace Jesus with fraternal twins named Taylor & Tyler. You could call sins "ungoods".

Quote:
People were having sex long before silly marriage ceremonies existed, so how does one explain that?
Obviously, it was due to the influence of Fred. But don't worry. There's no ungood that Taylor & Tyler can't forgive.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:52 AM   #60
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
If you want to be technical, even the states with 'better' teen pregnancy rates are still really bad compared to other industrialized nations. You are talking under 10 in many other industrialized nations...
You are quite correct this article shows some of the reasons.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3324401.html
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:17 PM   #61
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
You are quite correct this article shows some of the reasons.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3324401.html
Agreed completely. Our public health in terms of sex ed is determined by politicians and religious figures, not public health officials. And its results have been catastrophic. Our hush-hush attitude results in many pregnancies, STIs, and IPV related to pregnancies that are easily preventable. If anti-abortion activists want fewer abortions, than they need to increase access to contraceptives and better the education. I've even seen some evidence that comprehensive sex education actually delays the age of sex. There is no other way to this because abstinence only does not work. If you want your kids to have sex with multiple partners without protection and possibly contract a STI or become (or cause a) pregnant, then teach them abstinence only. If you want your kids to make responsible decisions, empower them with the information they need and lose the hush-hush taboo attitude.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #62
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Agreed completely. Our public health in terms of sex ed is determined by politicians and religious figures,
And?

Have you noticed a disconnect between the two that I may have missed??
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:49 AM   #63
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Agreed completely. Our public health in terms of sex ed is determined by politicians and religious figures, not public health officials. And its results have been catastrophic. Our hush-hush attitude results in many pregnancies, STIs, and IPV related to pregnancies that are easily preventable. If anti-abortion activists want fewer abortions, than they need to increase access to contraceptives and better the education. I've even seen some evidence that comprehensive sex education actually delays the age of sex. There is no other way to this because abstinence only does not work. If you want your kids to have sex with multiple partners without protection and possibly contract a STI or become (or cause a) pregnant, then teach them abstinence only. If you want your kids to make responsible decisions, empower them with the information they need and lose the hush-hush taboo attitude.
It probably needs the parents to grow up too and let their kids have girlfriends and boyfriends in the house.
Eraserhead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:38 AM   #64
Gelfin
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
When I was younger I preferred taking peg "A" out and of slot "B" at the end, and take my chances worked out well. I didn't have my first child until I was 31.
Statistically the failure rate of pulling out is 4%, if practiced perfectly at all times. In actual practice, failure runs 15-28%. For those raised with "abstinence only" education, percentage failure of a birth control method means that that percent of women using the method will fall pregnant in any given year.

This means that among sexually active teens using the pull-out method, the pregnancy rate on that chart's scale is 150-280 pregnancies per 1000, and you are essentially bragging about winning at Russian Roulette.

Thank you, though, for quite effectively demonstrating the point that, discounting those who are very obviously practicing abstinence whether they want to or not, winning at Russian Roulette is the essence of the difference between the "good, responsible" people who moralize loudly in abortion debates and the awful "irresponsible" people who find themselves coping with an unwanted pregnancy.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:44 AM   #65
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfin View Post
Statistically the failure rate of pulling out is 4%, if practiced perfectly at all times. In actual practice, failure runs 15-28%. For those raised with "abstinence only" education, percentage failure of a birth control method means that that percent of women using the method will fall pregnant in any given year.

This means that among sexually active teens using the pull-out method, the pregnancy rate on that chart's scale is 150-280 pregnancies per 1000, and you are essentially bragging about winning at Russian Roulette.

Thank you, though, for quite effectively demonstrating the point that, discounting those who are very obviously practicing abstinence whether they want to or not, winning at Russian Roulette is the essence of the difference between the "good, responsible" people who moralize loudly in abortion debates and the awful "irresponsible" people who find themselves coping with an unwanted pregnancy.
Condoms are available at their local Walmart.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:05 AM   #66
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This article only tries to make a correlation to religion as a factor of teen pregnancy.

Black teenage girls are 3 times more likely to get pregnant than white teens. The "bible belt" generally has larger percentages of black Americans.

Now since we all know black people are democrats, it would appear we have a democrat problem
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site, and that's saying a lot.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:45 AM   #67
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
It probably needs the parents to grow up too and let their kids have girlfriends and boyfriends in the house.
Sorry, maybe in the UK, I don't really know. Probably one of the few things that most US conservatives and liberals can agree on is that they want their kids out of the house supporting themselves. They don't want to be supporting their kids and their kids' kids into retirement. One garden path most people don't want to go down is where they let their children move in with their boyfriend/girlfriend. In fact, "We're ready to downsize" usually means that somebody is threatening to move back home and it is time to move to a condo in another state.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #68
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site, and that's saying a lot.
The correlation coefficient between black pop and teen birth rates by state is 0.513. I was just curious. It seems lower than some of the other statistics in the article, but it is still high.

"Teenage births remain high in more religious states. The correlation between teenage birthrates and the percentage of adults who say they are “very religious” is considerable (.69). The 2009 study posited that attitudes toward contraception play a significant role, noting that "religious communities in the U.S. are more successful in discouraging the use of contraception among their teenagers than they are in discouraging sexual intercourse itself."

Teen birthrates also hew closely to America’s political divide. They are substantially higher in conservative states that voted for McCain in 2008 (with a correlation of .65) and negatively correlated with states that voted for Obama (-.62).

Class plays a substantial role as well. Teen births are negatively associated with average state income (-.62), the share of the workforce in knowledge, professional, and creative class jobs (-.61), and especially with the share of adults who are college graduates (-.76). Conversely, teen birthrates are higher in more working class states (with a positive correlation of .58)."
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:13 PM   #69
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Dumb because of the democrat reference? The rest of it is true. Teen pregnancy amongst black teens is three times what it is for white teens.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:21 PM   #70
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Doesn't the majority of the people here want the tax payer to pony up for contraception?
bruinsrme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:06 PM   #71
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Dumb because of the democrat reference? The rest of it is true. Teen pregnancy amongst black teens is three times what it is for white teens.
Yes, mostly because of the democrat reference - but also posting the above statement unqualified.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:07 PM   #72
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Yes, mostly because of the democrat reference - but also posting the above statement unqualified.
Well the democrat comment was kind of sarcasm but the sarcasm font is busted.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #73
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But we're teaching abstinence only sex-ed, so they don't know how to use one or that they'll prevent pregnancy (or in some cases that intercourse is what causes pregnancy. No, seriously.)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #74
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea View Post
But we're teaching abstinence only sex-ed, so they don't know how to use one or that they'll prevent pregnancy (or in some cases that intercourse is what causes pregnancy. No, seriously.)
I didn't grow up in the bible belt so I can't really vouch for what people are taught, I was never shown how to put a condom on though and there are directions on the box if you really can't figure it out (seems pretty straight forward to me)...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:03 PM   #75
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I didn't grow up in the bible belt so I can't really vouch for what people are taught, I was never shown how to put a condom on though and there are directions on the box if you really can't figure it out (seems pretty straight forward to me)...
But if you grow up in a town where such a thing is considered evil, you're probably too embarrassed to purchase condoms since you're afraid the checkout gal is gonna tell your pop at church on sunday.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues