Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:23 PM   #51
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWally View Post
No more iPhone rumors until all the new Macs are released.
Pah! I'm only here for iPod classic rumors! Bring on the new iPod classics...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
It will.
It better -.- Hehe.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM   #52
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
Well, for me a handheld device suffers if it's too thin to hold comfortably, safely. Like the iPod touch for example. Thats just way too thin for my liking. not to mention Apple keeps using very slippery materials with very little grip.
Every time someone asks for a thinner iPhone I direct them to use an iPod touch. I swear that thing was designed to slip from your hands.
duffman9000 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM   #53
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How is it that the iPad got thicker (I know it's barely noticeable) yet the iPhone is going to be thinner? Especially when there's a 99% likelihood the new iPhone will be an LTE phone?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:52 PM   #54
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdover View Post
Pah! I'm only here for iPod classic rumors! Bring on the new iPod classics...
Now that would be sweet indeed ...
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:05 PM   #55
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

I just want to see the damn thing so I can drool
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:15 PM   #56
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
I am afraid that the iPhone 5 will probably won't be available in May.
They are trying to get it out for Christmas. If all of these supply notices are true, then they signed off on the final production design and are building them for warehousing over the summer. Will be a fun one again!
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:19 PM   #57
bushido
macrumors 601

i really dont get the trend of making everything thin thin thin. i rather have amazing features or improved battery life. isnt it thin enough as it is? the samsung galaxy s2 is already too thin for me, feels weird to hold but thats just me
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #58
gri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy View Post
I just want to see the damn thing so I can drool
Here, start with drooling
http://wondrouspics.com/iphone-5-con...pected-design/
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #59
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How is it that the iPad got thicker (I know it's barely noticeable) yet the iPhone is going to be thinner? Especially when there's a 99% likelihood the new iPhone will be an LTE phone?
Probably a combination of a lower powered LTE chip for the next iPhone as well as a less radical resolution increase (if any) both of which wouldn’t require a huge battery, which I understand is the reason for most (all?) of the iPad 3rd size increase.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:24 PM   #60
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman9000 View Post
Every time someone asks for a thinner iPhone I direct them to use an iPod touch. I swear that thing was designed to slip from your hands.
I just tried holding my first gen iPod touch as a phone and it felt fine except for an overly sharp edge. The thickness was not a problem. Much more comfortable than my iPhone 4 without a bumper.

The iPod touch could perhaps do with a slightly textured finish for more grip, but that applies to most Apple products, especially their USB connectors.
Moonjumper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:33 PM   #61
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
I just tried holding my first gen iPod touch as a phone and it felt fine except for an overly sharp edge. The thickness was not a problem. Much more comfortable than my iPhone 4 without a bumper.

The iPod touch could perhaps do with a slightly textured finish for more grip, but that applies to most Apple products, especially their USB connectors.
If it weren't for the case on my iPod Touch, it would be unusable. It's too thin and too slippery. I also dislike the sharp edge of the iPod Touch and the iPad. Jonathan Ive is way more interested in how they look as opposed to how user friendly they are. It will be interesting to see if usability continues to take a back seat to design.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:51 PM   #62
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
iPhones are no less slippery
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:07 PM   #63
enfanteribl
macrumors member

No where has it been stated what sort of difference this tech would make. 1mm? The new HTC and Panasonics are all about 7.5 mm, so very slim. With this slimmer screen, could the iPhone be less than 7mm?
enfanteribl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:36 PM   #64
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

Thinner? Bring it on!
SBlue1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #65
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
If it weren't for the case on my iPod Touch, it would be unusable. It's too thin and too slippery. I also dislike the sharp edge of the iPod Touch and the iPad. Jonathan Ive is way more interested in how they look as opposed to how user friendly they are. It will be interesting to see if usability continues to take a back seat to design.
I agree on the sharp edge and the slipperiness, but they may accentuate the problems with thinness. Take away those and the thinness might not be such a problem.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #66
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Not referring to just this article but I swear these days rumors on Apple products are pulled out of people's butt in order to gain a few cheap clicks to their site.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #67
mrfoof82
macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the main benefit of this will be a further improved color gamut, contrast, and brightness since there's now one less layer for everything to pass through -- or at least that the layer is ultimately thinner.

Thickness reduction would be in fractions of a millimeter, and have no tangible effect on weight or creating volume for a larger battery.
mrfoof82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:54 PM   #68
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
I just hope they dont keep making them thinner for the sake of thinness. If the LCD is thinner, i just hope they put a larger battery.
What he said. They made the "new iPad" imperceptibly thicker and preserved the consumer apparent battery life despite LTE. Duplicate.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:15 PM   #69
badlandz
macrumors newbie

Thinner = More Cracked Screens?

Thinner in general seems good, but isn't this moving the opposite direction as other phones move to Gorilla Glass?
badlandz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:22 PM   #70
kevingaffney
macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't be long now till the first iphone5 gets lost in a bar or public toilet or whatever
kevingaffney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:16 PM   #71
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
iPhones are no less slippery
Maybe... , but I don't think it was designed to be slippery. I've tried to use the latest iPod touch one handed and dropped it on a table in an Apple store.
duffman9000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #72
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
I want to be able to slip my iPhone into the pocket of my shirt and not even feel its there.

One day!
Watchout though. It might actually be not there at all, while it was
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:32 PM   #73
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
I'm guessing the main benefit of this will be a further improved color gamut, contrast, and brightness since there's now one less layer for everything to pass through -- or at least that the layer is ultimately thinner.

Thickness reduction would be in fractions of a millimeter, and have no tangible effect on weight or creating volume for a larger battery.
Agreed. I don't think we'll see a 1 mm decrease in thickness or any appreciable increase in battery size based on this innovation, but to have less material between the display and the surface of the phone can only improve the appearance of the display.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:16 PM   #74
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes which is why I always have mine with the film on the back. It's so thin that it slips so easily into my pocket but still grip-y enough on my hand. iPod Touch is my favorite form factor among all portables in terms of portability vs. functionality and I really hope for a phone in that size. Unfortunately it's probably too small to be a good phone due to lack of space for battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandz View Post
Thinner = More Cracked Screens?

Thinner in general seems good, but isn't this moving the opposite direction as other phones move to Gorilla Glass?
iPhone already uses Gorilla...I mean Corning-made chemically strengthened aluminosilicate glass.
I think it cracks easily not because of its thinness but it's design. Other phones including iPhone 3GS have some frames running around the glass, adding that extra protection whereas iPhone 4/4S design exposes the glass edge directly. iPod Touch is much thinner but it's no more crackable than thicker smartphones.
fertilized-egg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:30 PM   #75
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
Yes, plus one more benefit that no one seems to have mentioned yet:

No need for that glue agent to dry, from yellow-straw colored to clear, between glass panels .
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion