Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have a few people on my ignore list.

There are several threads populated with posts and line after line it's "this post is hidden" etc. Is there a way to simply not even see that? These lines sort of break the flow of reading.

May 8, 2008

There are several threads populated with posts and line after line it's "this post is hidden" etc. Is there a way to simply not even see that? These lines sort of break the flow of reading.

IMO, it's important to know that there is a part of the conversation that you're missing or not privy to.

Though I've never seen any sort of option to completely disable that type of message.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Like NathanMuir points out, it's even more "flowbreaking" to not know at all that there is posts being blocked.

Imagine a thread that only looks like this...

Cool_face: Should I get a bike?
Cool_face: Yeah I know, but I like to let other people make my decisions.
Cool_face: No.
Cool_face: Haha!
Cool_face: No, have you?

And so on.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have only one individual on my ignore list. I don't find that it disrupts my flow of reading too much...You sort of get used to it...Thing is, if the intention is to hide the person or persons postings from you it only works UNTIL that post is quoted by anybody else in the thread...Then you see it anyway.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Are you never curious? I tried to ignore one member of another forum a couple of years ago because he was being a jerk to me for no reason (he didn't like swedes or something like that... he was probably not so bright) but I found myself being utterly curious every time he wrote in a thread when I knew he wasn't writing **** to me. So I had to unblock and take a look every once in a while.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Like NathanMuir points out, it's even more "flowbreaking" to not know at all that there is posts being blocked.

And so on.

Sorry I find the current format to be too big (a simple line that reads, "Post on ignore list" without so much other text would be great.

Are you never curious? I tried to ignore one member of another forum a couple of years ago because he was being a jerk to me for no reason (he didn't like swedes or something like that... he was probably not so bright) but I found myself being utterly curious every time he wrote in a thread when I knew he wasn't writing **** to me. So I had to unblock and take a look every once in a while.

This is exactly why I don't want to see it. I want to click the "show this post" link and then post a reply to counter their point or something.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I have an empty ignore list, as the "post is hidden" message and then seeing the post later got annoying.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Why not just an expandable box that has a plus/minus sign? That way you could choose if you want to see a particular post or not.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Case 1:

Case 2:

Case 2A:
Imagine a thread that looks like this...

Poster is on your ignore list.

2A is really better?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Are you never curious?

No, actually, I'm not.

I have a handful of names on my ignore list. I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've clicked to view one of their hidden posts.

I'd rather not see the break for the hidden message, either. If there's a reply in the thread that really depends on one of the hidden messages, then chances are the user quoted it.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It would be nice if the thread created by those on your ignore list would not show in the thread list.

I find that my list of members on my ignore list is growing, something about all of the "i want iOS and the iPhone to be more like Android" threads and comments.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It would be nice if the thread created by those on your ignore list would not show in the thread list.

I find that my list of members on my ignore list is growing, something about all of the "i want iOS and the iPhone to be more like Android" threads and comments.

When they create the thread you won't see it. But when subsequent users not on your ignore post in it, it will then be visible to you.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011

I believe that if you are hidding people and then seen the "this post is hidden" many times, you are spending way too much time in this web site and has become an alter ego of your life.

You should visit a web site like this for what it is, get information and discuss a subject probably. But not to make it your life style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.