Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
My son just upgraded to an iPhone 4S. He sold his iP4. I want to make sure we erase his data, including the iMessage. I have read nightmares of others getting the original owners iMessages. The old phone is no longer activated on any cell network.

How to I zip out ALL info form the phone?

Thanks

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
My son just upgraded to an iPhone 4S. He sold his iP4. I want to make sure we erase his data, including the iMessage. I have read nightmares of others getting the original owners iMessages. The old phone is no longer activated on any cell network.

How to I zip out ALL info form the phone?

Thanks

Go to: Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.

This however can probably only be done with a (micro) sim card in the phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Resetting through settings will bring the phone back to its original state when it was bought. I've erased and sold all of my iPhones this way and never had any issue whatsoever.

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark

Waste of time! And if the iPhone is jailbroken, you'll need to restore in iTunes anyway..
Instead Restore in iTunes. When you reach the point where iTunes asks if you want to restore from a backup or set it up as new, then unplug the iPhone from iTunes. Done!

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
Please explain why erasing from settings is a waste of time?

Depending on how much stuff you have on your iPhone, an erase directly from the iPhone can take from 10-15 min to hours.
Using the restore in iTunes-method takes 15 min tops. Regradless of how much data you have on the iPhone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Please explain why erasing from settings is a waste of time?

As has been mentioned before, if you have iMessage set up it can be a problem if you don't do a full and complete restore via iTunes. Many, MANY people have reported this as being an issue. Unfortunately it's Apple dropping the ball here. I don;t believe we should have to do it this way, but it is what it is.

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
What's the best thing about forums on the internet you ask?

The best thing is when you spend time helping others with their problems, and rarely get a "thanks" or just a comment in return. Absolutely love it!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Depending on how much stuff you have on your iPhone, an erase directly from the iPhone can take from 10-15 min to hours.
Using the restore in iTunes-method takes 15 min tops. Regradless of how much data you have on the iPhone.

It only takes seconds on an iPhone 4. :cool:

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
Denmark
It only takes seconds on an iPhone 4. :cool:

Depending on how much stuff you have on it. But yes iPhone 4/4S is of course quicker then 3G and 3GS.
And just to be clear; we are talking about the "delete all content and settings", right?

Sil665

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Hi thanks for the info above. I'd like to clarify two points if I may.

"When you reach the point where iTunes asks if you want to restore from a backup or set it up as new, then unplug the iPhone from iTunes. Done!"

So you just unplug not selection either option ?

Will performing this operation corrupt my itunes library/iphone back up at all.

I don't want to loose any of the data/photos/music from my iPhone 4 that I want to synch up to my new iPhone 5 ?

Thanks.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
You MUST turn off iMessage first so it de-registers the phone. Otherwise it will still get your messages.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Um I erased my iP4 from the phone not itunes (took 1 minute) and my iMessages don't continue going to the old phone....

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Also did erase from phone on a nearly full 32GB iPhone 4. Took a few seconds and everything is definitely gone. ITunes restore is annoying, especially since it usually requires you to redownload the iOS image first.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK

I wiped mine in this way without a sim inserted.

mjwi

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
Erase content iphone 4S

I have a 4S and need to erase content and settings as part of the unlock process. Problem is, we've already switched to a new carrier and this phone has no service. Each time I try to erase or restore or anything it gives me a message reminding me I'm not online. Is there a way to erase content and unlock the phone while offline?
I see all the messages about "erase all content and settings" but this presumes an online connection.

DucMike

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Sacramento-area, CA
I'm about to be boarding that same boat here shortly. I'm getting ready to unload my old JB'd/UL'd 4s and want to 'clean' it w/o removing the jailbreak aspect. Which way will do what I'm after?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.