Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty).

Quick question to anyone that may know - does Apple do some sort of trade-in scheme against the iPad 3? Can I trade in my current iPad 2 and get some money off the iPad 3, anyone know how much roughly? (UK buyer)

Dan.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty)...

Warranty:confused: You must mean Apple Care.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
there's no trade-in for an older generation ipad. and having a 'lovely wife' usually forgives a multitude of sins. :)

if you don't have Applecare or third-party insurance, that damage won't be coverred by the warranty.

All,

My lovely wife dropped by iPad 2 64GB 3G iPad whilst getting out of the car today and smashed the screen so I'm going to the Apple Store shortly to get it fixed (in warranty).

Quick question to anyone that may know - does Apple do some sort of trade-in scheme against the iPad 3? Can I trade in my current iPad 2 and get some money off the iPad 3, anyone know how much roughly? (UK buyer)

Dan.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
if you don't have Applecare or third-party insurance, that damage won't be coverred by the warranty.
AppleCare does not cover when spouses accidentally drop your iPad.

What warranty are you talking about?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Warranty non with standing there is no trade up policy.

Best thing todo get it repaired and while the replacement is in new condition trade it into amazon or sell it.
Use the funds collected toward an iPad 3

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
You won't get it replaced with the warranty. They will charge you £206.44 for a replacement iPad 2 unit.

However, your "lovely wife" could always try her luck there and see if they're willing to be generous...;)

Dan14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Ha! Thanks for the comments guys. Apple wanted £199 for a replacement as they gave me some crap about not being able to just replace the screen... Should've seen their faces when I pulled up an iFixit video and said just do that.

Anyway, not one to argue with the Apple repair process, I just went on my way and have mailed it to Apple Heroes based in London to fix the glass for £88.

For those wondering, and I'm not sure if it's just us Brits that call it a warranty, but I was referring to the manufacturers 1 year guarantee that comes with the purchase of an iPad - probably called something else entirely :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Apple wanted £199 for a replacement...

For those wondering, and I'm not sure if it's just us Brits that call it a warranty, but I was referring to the manufacturers 1 year guarantee that comes with the purchase of an iPad - probably called something else entirely :D

No it is called warranty in the US too. We were saying that warranty doesn't apply to self inflected damage as you found out. Warranty covers manufacture problems.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Ha! Thanks for the comments guys. Apple wanted £199 for a replacement as they gave me some crap about not being able to just replace the screen... Should've seen their faces when I pulled up an iFixit video and said just do that.

While it can be replaced, Apple doesn't do that in store. If anything, the refurb repair at a central locations since it would cost far too much to train techs in the proper repair techniques, stock or ship parts for repairs, etc.; so it's easier to just replace damaged ones for a flat fee. In addition, they can be assured a new one works properly and doesn't have any problems, while a repair world require diagnostics of the entire device and may still miss a problem and then have an unhappy owner back claiming they didn't fix it properly.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Anyway, not one to argue with the Apple repair process, I just went on my way and have mailed it to Apple Heroes based in London to fix the glass for £88.

Whether they CAN or not is not the question. It's whether they SHOULD that is the question here. And the answer to that is NO.

I've been there myself. I dropped my iPhone on a tile floor and smashed the screen. Had to pay $199 for a new one. I asked them if they would give me a 32 GB if I paid more (I broke a 16 GB) and they said that they can only exchange for what I had.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Whether they CAN or not is not the question. It's whether they SHOULD that is the question here. And the answer to that is NO.

Why?

There's no arguing replacing a single part is far more efficient than replacing the whole unit. I think it is a question of if they can or not and it does come down to the training cost as previously pointed out. As jlc1978 pointed out, it would be too costly to train every genius on a very delicate process.

So no, it's not a question of whether they should, I think it's more a case of they can't. However, I'm very interested to hear why you think they SHOULDN'T offer a repair facility...

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Hardest part is removing the glass, without breaking it.

But if it's already broken not a big deal.

Second hardest part is not damaging anything else especially the LCD panel and cable.

Check out the Ifixit.com site for more examples

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.