Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Since DP2 and also on DP3 the whole System crashes when playing HTML5 Videos. The screen is flickering and is unresponsive.

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player. So I have completely formated my SSD and reinstalled Mountain Lion. But the issue still exists. The whole system crahes when playing a HTML Video. But it's only in videos in Safari. Playing videos with Quicktime or VLC works fine.

Does anybody noticed the same behavior?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Since DP2 and also on DP3 the whole System crashes when playing HTML5 Videos. The screen is flickering and is unresponsive.

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player.
If youtube is set to HTML 5, it's not using Flash. This sounds like you should file a bug report with Apple.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
If I'm the only person with this problem, I think my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is defective.

FatGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
If I'm the only person with this problem, I think my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M is defective.

Nope, you're definitely not the only one. I've been having the same exact problem since DP2 and DP3. It seems it's gotten worse in DP3. I am also on Nvidia GeForce 9400M. This seems to be a driver issue (hardware accelerated video playback).

Fix: I just tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3863047), and videos no longer crash for me.

I don't think I ever had any problem with HTML5 playback though. Are you sure you're using HTML5? Not all videos support HTML5 on YouTube, even if you're in HTML5 beta. I recommend installing Flashblock.

But with hardware acceleration disabled, hopefully we won't experience another catastrophic video meltdown again.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

First I thought it's caused by the Flash Player. So I have completely formated my SSD and reinstalled Mountain Lion. But the issue still exists. The whole system crahes when playing a HTML Video. But it's only in videos in Safari. Playing videos with Quicktime or VLC works fine.

Does anybody noticed the same behavior?

Youtube and HTML5 on safari even on lion has gone south over the last few days. Google seems to have made a few backend changes that is causing a crapload of instability.
No it is not your nvida card. I have ati and its slow here.

FatGuy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
Youtube and HTML5 on safari even on lion has gone south over the last few days. Google seems to have made a few backend changes that is causing a crapload of instability.
No it is not your nvida card. I have ati and its slow here.

I believe OP is not referring to minor slowdowns. This is about a system crash. As in, it crashes the whole OS, kinda like BSOD of Windows, except instead of blue screen you get a corrupted screen with various flickery artifacts. The only way out is hard reset.

No app can or are allowed to do such a thing - which points to a driver-level / OS-level bug.

This doesn't happen on my Lion installation, only happens with Mountain Lion DP2 & DP3 (and maybe DP1 too, can't remember) - so it is not a hardware issue.

I haven't experienced any of these crashes after disabling hardware acceleration though.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I believe OP is not referring to minor slowdowns. This is about a system crash. As in, it crashes the whole OS, kinda like BSOD of Windows, except instead of blue screen you get a corrupted screen with various flickery artifacts. The only way out is hard reset.

No app can or are allowed to do such a thing - which points to a driver-level / OS-level bug.

This doesn't happen on my Lion installation, only happens with Mountain Lion DP2 & DP3 (and maybe DP1 too, can't remember) - so it is not a hardware issue.

I haven't experienced any of these crashes after disabling hardware acceleration though.
Lion has been doing that recently. It has corresponded with youtue backend updates.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Same Issue

I have had the OP's exact issue. I first noticed it with Flash, so I installed the Safari extension, "Click To Flash", assuming it was only a software issue at the time. I then proceeded to watch a YouTube video with with "Click To Flash's" HTML5 conversion script. Yet again, streaming through Quicktime's HTML5 player, the entire system crashed. Even further so (and unlike the OP), I downloaded a video and played it via Quicktime X and, once again, my system crashed as the OP described it. This is most likely not a compatibility issue, the beta OS just has a few bugs to work out with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400, and upon myself and many others filling a bug report with Apple about this, everything should be worked out by the GM. Although disabling hardware acceleration does seem to help with the Flash based crashes, Mountain Lion currently has a problem with playing back video (via the NVIDIA GeForce 9400) throughout the system.

I only noticed this on both DP2/3. I have an iMac Early 2009 24" Model 9,1.

I should also note that this happens at a complete random, and is with all video sources tested (not specific to YouTube).

- Andrew

Last edited:

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I have an AMD card in my iMac and Intel Graphics in my Macbook Pro, both load constantly on HTML5 Youtube and don't play the video. Flash works fine.

illya

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Flash playback -> OS crash

I have an issue, close to what andrewpturko described – during the flash video playback my whole system crashes, everything except for the sound, becomes unresponsive, the screen goes corrupted and looks like this - https://skitch.com/strikhar/8aye6/screen-shot-2012-04-30-at-11.45.25-pm - and only hard reset helps.
I also installed clicktoflash, but that doesn't help, as videos are still flash after clicking, and even in quicktime player they crash.
I've just had hardware acceleration disabled and relaunched safari, didn't help.

Any more ideas how to get rid of the bug in this OS?

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Currently there is only one solution available. Downgrade from DP3/DP2 to DP1.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Do any of you have Perian installed? If you do and use YouTube in HTML5 mode they default to using their horrible WebM format which isn't at all hardware accelerated and will kill your computer. Remove Perian and restart Safari.

nightking

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for answer! In this case, I'm going to update DP3 and I'll post my feelings about it too.

nightking

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Everything is fine, 9400M on board, MacBook Aluminium. It crashed once yesterday but it wasn't because of flash/html5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.