Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
After such a long development time, I expected much more. I realize this is only the first chapter. However, it was pretty boring. I did not have to think about what I was doing at all. Open the door, break down the barrier, drop the chandelier on top of the nasties and slash on. Was not much fun. The only fun was chasing down those pesky Imps.

The concept of gold is still useless in most cases. The only reason for it's existence is to train the Blacksmith. Even then, the items created do not compare to what can be found during gameplay.

I think I'll wait a year or two for the price to drop.

Oh good I wasn't the only one who thought gold was useless. I never bought anything yet and the armor I found was much better.

I didn't even mess with the blacksmith, I don't really know what to do with him. I thought there would be an in game explanation or something.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Oh good I wasn't the only one who thought gold was useless. I never bought anything yet and the armor I found was much better.

I didn't even mess with the blacksmith, I don't really know what to do with him. I thought there would be an in game explanation or something.

In earlier betas the blacksmith had much better gear. I think the gear imbalance is probably due to the fact that this is only a small fraction of the game. There is also the bit about the blacksmith not being the only profession.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Hey guys. I have a 2010 macbook pro 15". My laptop turned off in the middle of game. I'm guessing it is an overheat issue since my brother has the same laptop and his is running perfectly fine. Is this a valid assumption? *tear*

onmi

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Just finished the beta and hit the level cap. I played the Wizard class and it rocks. I'll maybe give it another go with the barbarian class...

it ran smooth on my mid-2010 standard macbook pro. No lag or anything. Settings were at recommended. :D

I'm stoked for this game. Buying it day 1.

----------

I think Gold helped me out a bit but not that much. If you have equips that help find magical items, you can score some pretty sweet stuff.

There should be an in game explanation as soon as you unlock the blacksmith in the town. At least, I got one as pop up windows. :confused:

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon

Eh, I thought the blacksmith was actually pretty useful. You have to throw gold at him to train him up so that he can make good stuff for you. Almost all my gear is from him now because I've yet to find anything better.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Eh, I thought the blacksmith was actually pretty useful. You have to throw gold at him to train him up so that he can make good stuff for you. Almost all my gear is from him now because I've yet to find anything better.

I just figured that out lol. I spent a bunch of gold on him and now he can make me good stuff. The merchant didn't sell anything useful and I obliterate everything with the witch doctor so it was easy to pick up health.

Blizzard officially won me back over. I will be preordering the game so I can play it when it comes out.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I just figured that out lol. I spent a bunch of gold on him and now he can make me good stuff. The merchant didn't sell anything useful and I obliterate everything with the witch doctor so it was easy to pick up health.

Blizzard officially won me back over. I will be preordering the game so I can play it when it comes out.

Seems like an excellent game, indeed...absolutely flawless performance on my iMac.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

You use the gold to train the blacksmith, who can then build more/better stuff.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space

Blacksmith at lvl 2 so far, and I can already make boosted shoulder armor that I wouldn't be able to use till lvl 18.

He's made some pretty good crap too.

I'm sure at lvl 99 he'll be making ridiculous stuff that you can sell for real money in the auction.

Oh, and gold can also be used for auctions.
So no...
Gold is not useless like it was in the last games.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Have you even tried to get in? It's a complete mess.

And that's the whole point of an open beta. Open beta is meant to:

Provide publicity/hype for the game.
Intentionally break (via overload) their servers to see what dies first. So they break now and not on 15th May. And if they break later, already have worked out the quickest way to fix them.
Give blizzard staff practice to deal with the waves of complaints when an issue arrises.
And lastly give people a trail of the game.

smhh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
Game's lagging just the slightest bit on 2560x1440 res on my imac. :(

I've got 2011 iMac with the 2GB Radeon 6970, and this is what I can tell you:

2560x1440, high settings + aa, 60 fps limit

OS X 10.7.3
-> outside - 10-25 fps
-> inside - 20-35 fps

Win7
-> outside - 40-55 fps
-> inside - 59-60 fps

OS X is not designed for games ;)

Zulithe

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
runs like garbage on my 2010 2.66ghz mbp. no surprise... mac gaming is still a joke when it comes to AAA titles like this. I don't blame blizzard or valve... I blame apple. Anyway, hopefully the 2012 mbps will have some significant gains... I'm hoping to upgrade.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I am on a 2010 iMac. I have similar settings and the game seems smooth. How are you determining the FPS? What settings allow me to see this?

I've got 2011 iMac with the 2GB Radeon 6970, and this is what I can tell you:

2560x1440, high settings + aa, 60 fps limit

OS X 10.7.3
-> outside - 10-25 fps
-> inside - 20-35 fps

Win7
-> outside - 40-55 fps
-> inside - 59-60 fps

OS X is not designed for games ;)

smhh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
I am on a 2010 iMac. I have similar settings and the game seems smooth. How are you determining the FPS? What settings allow me to see this?

To display fps: CMD+R (ctrl+r @ windows)

btw, are you on 10.7 ?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If you want to see the possible errors you can get in the beta I made up this pic. Most of them I have experienced. And a couple I got from friends with Macs.

http://i.imgur.com/anfii.jpg

I will post the link as the image is a little too big to show here directly.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I'm not exactly a n00b on Diablo .. but I never play it on a Mac before. Some questions then,

1.) Can we use switch and play between Mac and Bootcamp using the same save game file? Or Diablo III will only use cloud save only?

2.) And are we eligible to install Diablo III on both Bootcamp and OSX, or do we need 2 licenses for that?

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
I'm not exactly a n00b on Diablo .. but I never play it on a Mac before. Some questions then,

1.) Can we use switch and play between Mac and Bootcamp using the same save game file? Or Diablo III will only use cloud save only?

2.) And are we eligible to install Diablo III on both Bootcamp and OSX, or do we need 2 licenses for that?
1. The game is saved on the cloud when you log out and it'll pick up from the same spot whenever you log back on, regardless of the platform(I've done it a lot between my laptop and PC).

2. A CD key is tied to your Blizzard account and you can download both the Windows and OS X client from it.

Basically if you've played WoW and/or StarCraft 2, Blizzard handles Diablo 3 in the exact same way.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
1. You will need to install D3 bootcamp side and OS X side if you want to play on both OS's. But you can play on one and continue on the other as you character save data (and achievement data) will be held in Blizzard's cloud.

2. You can install it as many times as you want. Anywhere. Your licence only means you can only play the game once (ie. no multiboxing from the same account). You just use the same game licence to install in many places. And you log in with your battle.net account. So you can play at a friends place on your account if you want to.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Thank you for the enlightenment :D I think I'm gonna stick with DVD for Diablo III, I don't have a strong connection to make the download justifiable. It's universal PC/Mac client on the dvds right? So I can just install D3 on both Windows/OS X using the same given CD key, right?

I switch between OS quite oftenly (I prefer bootcamp over VM whenever I have the time), so when I'm in the mood to play D3, I want to make sure I could play it from any OS I have with me at the time.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Thank you for the enlightenment :D I think I'm gonna stick with DVD for Diablo III, I don't have a strong connection to make the download justifiable. It's universal PC/Mac client on the dvds right? So I can just install D3 on both Windows/OS X using the same given CD key, right?

I switch between OS quite oftenly (I prefer bootcamp over VM whenever I have the time), so when I'm in the mood to play D3, I want to make sure I could play it from any OS I have with me at the time.

That's right. Assuming it's a similar process to WoW (99% sure it is), you'll enter the serial key in your Battle.net account management page and then you can install the PC and Mac clients whenever you want as the disc comes with both.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
great game, i'll buy it, impressive. The only "but" that i have it's that has some much "cartoonish" graphics in some spaces (f.e, in the cathedral) and it is less darker than its predecessors.

In terms of perfomance, I'm using a 2008 imac, 10.7, with a 8800GS (512mb) and runs very well at the native resolution (1920x1200) and blizzard default graphic settings. It down a little with a big group of monsters but still very playable and enjoyable visuals.The blizzard default recommends lower resolution but i prefer the native for better quality text.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.