Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today officially announced the launch of Creative Suite 6, the next major update to the company's bundles of popular design applications. The release sees new versions of 14 separate applications, including the flagship Photoshop CS6 that has been offered as a free public beta for the past month.
"Creatives get a ton of innovation across CS6, with milestone releases of all our flagship products," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president, Digital Media Business, Adobe. "With CS6 and Creative Cloud, we're also introducing new products, new mobile workflows and advanced publishing capabilities that show we are laser-focused on ensuring design, Web and video pros have everything they need for the delivery of high-impact content and apps."
As with previous editions of Creative Suite, Adobe is offering the CS6 applications individually, as well as in several different bundles targeting print, web, and video design professionals.

Bundle pricing begins at $1299 for the Design Standard collection, which includes Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat X Pro. At an $1899 price point, Adobe offers either the Design & Web Premium collection, which includes Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash Professional, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Acrobat X Pro, or the Production Premium collection, which includes Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Photoshop Extended, Prelude, and SpeedGrade. Finally, Adobe's Master Collection containing all of the CS6 applications is available for $2599.

adobe_creative_suite_6.jpg

Adobe today also officially introduced Creative Cloud, a subscription service offering access to all CS6 applications as well as other cloud services to facilitate the integration of desktop Adobe software with the company's growing stable of tablet and smartphone applications.

Creative Cloud is priced at $49.99 per month for an annual membership, or $74.99 per month on a month-to-month basis. The service is also being offered at a special introductory rate of $29.99 per month for current users of Adobe's CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 software.

All Creative Suite 6 products are available for pre-order now and will begin shipping within 30 days. Adobe will be hosting a streaming launch event at 10:00 AM Pacific Time, highlighting the new developments included in Creative Suite 6 and Creative Cloud.

Article Link: Adobe Introduces Creative Suite 6 and Creative Cloud

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
$75/month. Obviously business targeting. I hope that doesn't mean per machine!

And why wouldn't it mean 75$ per month per machine? It's targeting businesses!

IMHO, the more you trust things to "the cloud" the more you lose control over your system.

Last edited:

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Adobe is a evil greedy company.

<---- purchased 10 copies of cs5 $15k+ only to find that it was full of bugs and adobe charges just to talk to outsourced tech support.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Wow, fast timeline. It'll be nice to upgrade everything after they release a few updates to fix the initial bugs.

There will be initial bugs.

yonis

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
$75/month. Obviously business targeting. I hope that doesn't mean per machine!
Adobe is a evil greedy company.
It's actually $600/year if you want to go that route, which is a good deal considering that Photoshop CS6 by itself is $700. And with this you get access to every single app they make, and they're always up to date.

Not sure how that's "greedy". If you're a professional, it's a no-brainer.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
As a professional with a budget that is handed down to me quarterly, a $100 savings with massive restriction is no deal for software that you never own. How many people love leasing a car?

It's actually $600/year if you want to go that route, which is a good deal considering that Photoshop CS6 by itself is $700. And with this you get access to every single app they make, and they're always up to date.

Not sure how that's "greedy". If you're a professional, it's a no-brainer.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
People complaining are those not making money from using their software. There are plenty of alternatives for photo and video creation outside of Adobe's ecosystem.

The fact that I can upgrade my CS5 Master Collection for only $549 is incredible. If you are a recurring customer the upgrade pricing is pretty reasonable.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
I think the majority of people complaining about the cost are people like me - hobbyists who would love to be at least semi-professional but don't make enough off what they create to justify the four-digit price point. If you're a pro it's a no-brainer, but if you're an aspiring one then forget it.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Looking forward to picking this up as I'm moving to Premiere from FCP 7 (skipping FCPX entirely) as all my clients are doing the same. Here's to Adobe and their road map! I'll make the cost up in 3 days....no complaints here.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I think the majority of people complaining about the cost are people like me - hobbyists who would love to be at least semi-professional but don't make enough off what they create to justify the four-digit price point. If you're a pro it's a no-brainer, but if you're an aspiring one then forget it.

Production Premium package with the student discount is only $500, that's only $200 more than FCPX! Don't be fooled by what others say either, it is all the full versions.

I'm still surprised that Adobe is making money with how common their software is pirated.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Adobe has become way overpriced for us mere mortals. For the low, low price of $2600 you too can become a beta tester for bug laden crap that never gets fixed before it becomes legacy-ware.

The only thing they have that is worth the money is Lightroom. It's so good I'm convinced Adobe didn't write it nor do they have anything to do with it. (If they did it wouldn't work as well as it does).

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
On a side note, I do hate working in the middle of a project in Premiere Pro and have the entire software fail. While this doesn't happen often, it does enough to irk me a bit and hope that PP CS6 is more stable over all.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Production Premium package with the student discount is only $500, that's only $200 more than FCPX! Don't be fooled by what others say either, it is all the full versions.

I'm still surprised that Adobe is making money with how common their software is pirated.

Some schools have it even cheaper. I picked up CS5 Production Premium for $300 when I was in college.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
And why wouldn't it mean 75$ per month per machine? It's targeting businesses!

IMHO, the more you should things to "the cloud" the more you lose control over your system.

Where I work we have around 400 Mac Pros working with the design premium. They would have to pay $30,000 a month just to run software vs buying an unlimited license for (not sure what the quote was) but a lot lot lot less than that forever. That is why.

Their cloud is overpriced big time compared to competition. A server is a server there no magicalness to any of them therefore their prices should be competitive.

azajohns

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Probably wishful thinking but I hope they've managed to get some consistency across their products. Each application they have feels like its from a different company (of course many of them were from Macromedia originally but still). Keyboard shortcuts, pallet tools, menu items, general GUI design, it's all been a mess for years. As a long time print designer who only recently began learning flash and DW, I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw my laptop out of the window over some stupid little GUI issue.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Adobe has become way overpriced for us mere mortals. For the low, low price of $2600 you too can become a beta tester for bug laden crap that never gets fixed before it becomes legacy-ware.

You think thats bad look at the prices for Autodesk software. Maya's had legacy bugs follow it around for years.

trevorsheridan

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
I have the Design Premium and I noticed that if you have CS5 and upgrade to CS5.5 ($399) you get CS6 for free when it comes out, however if you upgrade CS5 directly to CS6 it will cost you $749. Interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.