Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi. I have a 120 GB SSD on my early 2011 Macbook Pro. I have Mac OS X 10.6.8

Even though I just uninstalled unused language files (using Monolingual) deleted unnececary printer drivers, everything in my computer takes 46 GB.

All the apps I installed (3 GB), all the bundled apps I installed (1 GB) and all the personel files excluded (15 GB), it still comes to 27 GB.

Let's say that the files distrubuted throughout the system because of the apps I installed extract 7 GB's. But still 20 GB's is too much I think (not comparing with Win. OS's off course) Don't you think?

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard should take less than 10 GB of space.
To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

Hi. Thanks again. I tried a few of those apps but I seem to have a missing few GB's of space.

My disk has apprx. 47 GB data on it. But those apps show 42 GB. When I was a windows user, system had that pagefile.sys file which stored harddrive space used as RAM. Might this be same kind of situation on Mac OS?

Screenshot is attached

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-29 at 1.14.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-29 at 1.14.06 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.