Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
Hi all,
New to the forum, never had a mac before, planning to take the plunge when the redesign comes out in (potentially) June.
My question is, why is a MacBook better, than say an ultra book?
Thanks

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Why don't you watch Youtube walkthroughs of OSX, unboxings, reviews etc? Product research is fun.

chiodo

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Hi all,
New to the forum, never had a mac before, planning to take the plunge when the redesign comes out in (potentially) June.
My question is, why is a MacBook better, than say an ultra book?
Thanks

For me I would say the build quality of the computer is much better than a Dell, HP, or any of PC manufacture. When you pick the computer up it feels like it is made of high quality parts. Not just plastic. Plus it looks like a piece of art.

The screen is one of the best screens on the market. Considering you look at the screen 100% of the time, having a nice screen is important to me. The keys are very nice to type on and the touch pad is very well done.

OSX is not as great as the last poster said. I personally don't own a MBP for OSX. I run windows 7 on mine. :)

rich2010

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
UK
I bought one because I could have both Windoze and OS X running at the same time. I'm talking around 2007, as I don't believe hackintosh was available.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
Do you not run osx anytime, or do you have to boot windows 7 from OS x (yes I'm not good with computers)

nikobe

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Having bought my first mac in September of last year after being a windows user before, here are my brief thoughts on what makes the OSX experience so much nicer than windows.

Its intuitive - I found I could easily figure out how to do many actions that I had no previous knowledge of how to do.

Its stable - so far I've had no problems with crashes etc.

Multi touch gestures - This is one of best parts for me. It all becomes second nature really quickly and navigating around is so much quicker than in windows.

Multiple desktops - This makes multitasking so much easier.

It isn't intrusive - there are no popups constantly asking you to update etc.

Feeling of overall quality - the whole experience just feels higher quality than my previous windows experiences.

Finally, iLife - the iLife suite of apps that come pre installed are actually really useful. Especially garageband and iphoto.

There's probably more, but those are the main things that come to mind. I wouldn't go back to windows on a full time basis again.

Hope that helps.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
We pay a premium to receive the very highest quality devices. Just looking at and feeling a Mac, the design is so much cleaner and sturdy looking compared to other laptops. The OS is excellent and is optimised for the much smaller range of technology in Macs. The whole thing is basically just a great experience that is guaranteed to last you years.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
For me, i spend all day at work using windows machines. I want to get a Mac so that when I am home I can use something that doesn't feel like my work computer. I'm having a tough time deciding between the air and the pro, but i'm having fun in the process. These forums are really useful and 99% of the members are great.

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
For me, i spend all day at work using windows machines. I want to get a Mac so that when I am home I can use something that doesn't feel like my work computer. I'm having a tough time deciding between the air and the pro, but i'm having fun in the process. These forums are really useful and 99% of the members are great.

Im in the same boat as you, I'm bored with windows, I want a change, I feel like the air would be a bad purchase for me, as where I live the 13" air and pro are the same price. And yes I've only joined and already they've been very helpful

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Thanks for all your input I can't wait for the update do I can go get my 13" now

If it was a next year refresh I's say go for it but if it really is happening very soon I reckon you should hold your nerve and wait. Its going to be hard :D

Otumelty

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Belfast
The only thing helpin the waiting game is the fact I'm broke at the moment have to wait until the summer

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Im in the same boat as you, I'm bored with windows, I want a change, I feel like the air would be a bad purchase for me, as where I live the 13" air and pro are the same price. And yes I've only joined and already they've been very helpful

Apple are the masters of creating internal conflict within their own customers! I want bits of both the air and the pro! But like you i'll probably go pro and chuck an ssd in it. My poor wallet.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Just having got my first Mac machine in the form of a Pro 15" after using win doze for ever, they rock!!

A class above and I love everything about it, speed, design, look, feel, the whole experience of Macbook Pro ownership is awesome.

Only trouble is its a little frustrating at first but once you et to know OS X its great and the fact I want to keep spending money on it now. External HDD, big screen for at home, nice carry case, keyboard mouse, trackpad etc but its great :)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
its just a computer, sure its way better than the $400 dells or various other crappy windows laptops but if you were to get a $1700 windows laptop than it would be just as good maybe better than a MBP.

thats my 2 cents

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
its just a computer, sure its way better than the $400 dells or various other crappy windows laptops but if you were to get a $1700 windows laptop than it would be just as good maybe better than a MBP.

thats my 2 cents

"Its just a computer" is how I used to think before I got my Mac.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008

thats my 2 cents
A more expensive windows laptop might be able to match it on fit and finish, or parts like CPU and gpu, but they'll never match software. Hackintoshing is just that - a hack.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
A more expensive windows laptop might be able to match it on fit and finish, or parts like CPU and gpu, but they'll never match software. Hackintoshing is just that - a hack.

Wrong... It can't match on hardware, battery capacity, trackpad, screen quality, weight, size, thunderbolt, etc etc.

Macs are about the hardware, OSX is just a bonus and is not significantly better or worse than Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.