Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
My math and yours are both off then, I forget to add the $29.97 for three extra lines, but your plan's wrong too. $59.99 family plan and $20 family messaging BOTH don't allow M2AM. M2AM requires 69.99 plan and new $30 messaging feature, unless you have a FAN deal or other special plan - but that's not a fair comparison, because it's not available to any random customer interested.

Main line:
Monthly Charges - Feb 24 thru Mar 23
FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover $60.00 <--2 lines
AWS Legal Settlement $0.00
Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling $20.00
DataPro 2GB for iPhone $25.00
National Account Discount −$17.00
Total Monthly Charges $88
Plus I have A-List to call any 10 landline unlimited

3 - 5 lines:
9.99 per line
$25 X 4 data $100
====

at&t: Approx. 228
Straighttalk: 225

AT&T bonus: new iphone every 2 years!!

AGAIN: $20 FAMILY MESSAGE WITH MOBILE TO ANY MOBILE IS AVAILABLE IF YOU ASK. REGULAR PRICE FOR THE SHEEPS $30

I have a great plan and I realize that most people won't have this great plan. It took years surfing Howard forums and here to get these great deals. If I were a single man needing one line I would get straighttalk. But for a family of 5 this deal is the best for us wanting new iphones.

Last edited:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Main line:
Monthly Charges - Feb 24 thru Mar 23
FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover $60.00 <--2 lines
AWS Legal Settlement $0.00
Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling $20.00
DataPro 2GB for iPhone $25.00
National Account Discount −$17.00
Total Monthly Charges $88
Plus I have A-List to call any 10 landline unlimited

3 - 5 lines:
9.99 per line
$25 X 4 data $100
====

at&t: Approx. 228
Straighttalk: 225

AT&T bonus: new iphone every 2 years!!

The benefits of prepaid quickly decline the more lines you have.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
The big carriers have intentionally kept "Family Plans" as a "perk" for contract customers only. It's [one of] the last vestiges keeping a lot of folks away from prepaid. So yes, if you have 5 iPhone lines, a contract is the better deal. But that is not a typical situation. Straight Talk is pretty tough to beat vis-a-vi bang for the buck. Even for a couple lines. 5 I can understand the contract thinking.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Blacksurfer, how did you get the Nation 700 plan for $60? Are you sure the ~$10 for the second line isn't charged elsewhere?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Okay... I've been trolling these boards for a while reading everything on the subject and I just have to chime in here with my experiences with Straight Talk.

First of all, it IS unlimited data in all shapes of the word unlimited. Meaning, as far as I can tell, you should indeed be able to consume as much data as you want to use on your phone (not including tethering, which is against the TOS) during the month. HOWEVER, since as many people have accurately pointed out, they have so many "blocks" they have purchased from AT&T regarding data... they use a "excessive usage" tactic to try and scare/discourage their users from using more the 3GB a month. And it IS 3G, not 2GB as has been suggested. When AT&T recently switched their service plans from 2GB to 3GB, this change was reflected in Straight Talk's deal. So.... right now if you go near 3G a month (or over about 300MB in a single day)... an automatic warning is dispatched from Straight Talk who sends both an SMS text message and recorded phone call to your straight talk number informing you that your account may be disabled due to excessive usage and to review tone TOS and call them with any concerns, blah blah blah.

Now as soon as you hit the magic 3G mark data is pretty much instantly disabled from your account, meaning they actually yank giving you an IP number for data whatsoever. It just simply checks with the MVNO server, which sends a "deny service" back to your phone, and neither EDGE or 3G is returned back to the phone. However, they DO NOT (at least in my tests) yank and disable your phone number. When I had my data pulled, my phone and SMS text messaging completely worked and was never affected. I just stopped receiving any "E" or "3G"/"4G" symbol at the top of my menu bar (I have an iPhone 4S) no matter how many times I toggled data on and off or switched back and forth between airplane mode.

Now, don't get me wrong, at this point I was pretty much livid and was scared of the possibility that I would be having to purchase a new $15 SIM card every month to continue using the service (which, amazingly, would STILL be cheaper then using AT&T) but thankfully, after many hours with Straight Talk's amazingly under-staffed and rather stretched thin customer service people... I was given a compromise solution that I hadn't ever heard once on these boards, but is such a workable and surprising solution I'm guessing its how they're currently dealing with new customers such as myself who had very high hopes for the new BYOS option and was incredibly disappointed by all the negative talk I had read on the boards regarding their accounts being deactivated if you went past some mythical unknown limit on was supposedly a truly unlimited service, and quite clearly marketed that way.

After ensuring them that I was not tethering (which I never once did, despite being jailbroken, because I really wanted to play by the rules and test them based on my actual phone data usage in a month) only using apps such as netflix and YouTube to stream content to my phone on long train rides to work every day, a service that is marketed on several of their own straight talk phones which also include unlimited data plans (you cant sell a device with capabilities out of the box and then turn around and say using those capabilities is unreasonable or excessive) and told them that, on average I would use about 4GB a month when I had been with AT&T. I told them that occasionally I would go over and be charged $10, which is why when I heard about straight talk providing the same often great network speeds for less then half the price per month with no contract and no worry of overage fees I jumped at the chance, bought out my contract with AT&T and jumped to Straight Talk. During all my conversations with straight talk I was very patient, I never once yelled (abuse of their reps is clearly outlined in their actual TOS as a non-negotiable fail on your part. Basically, if you're a jerk, your contract is void) and I was very patient in listening calmly to their by-the-book suggestions of me reducing my data usage, and then equally calmly and with great technical detail explaining how I met those requirements but that my normal usage of data in a month would always be somewhere in this range due to how I used my phone on my phone as literally years of usage data on my at&t account could attest to. * so then I was told a new term to which my ears perked up to, and that is what they referred to as a "soft bar". Basically, their auto-cutoff system can be programmed with a flexible soft cap. Whenever you approach this soft cap, a warning is sent to my phone. When the soft cap is reached, the data is disconnected. However, if you call them in the interim and explain your usage, why you may have needed more data for your non-tether phone usage that month, they will in turn "raise the soft bar" to a higher threshold for the rest of the month. For instance, from 3GB to 4GB. If you are reaching this new threshold, the same thing applies. You must call them when the auto warning is sent and, after stating your need, the threshold will again be raised another GB and so on. This is actually their rules, and so far, on my second month, they have done exactly that. They have always raised the bar for me, and I haven't been disconnected for data again. Even more remarkable, the data is not throttled whatsoever and is completely comparable to AT&T's extra GB I would routinely he charged for each month. I check my usage using the iPhone's built in data usage calculator in the settings App and each month upon adding another $45 credit I reset the values and start tracking fresh.

This is the way (and likely probably the only legal way) they can advertise unlimited data service through the current deal they have setup with AT&T. If they didn't set a mysterious bar... obviously you'd have the sprint type users who would fully abuse the system and everyone would be left with miserable speeds and crappy service. Their scare method of "excessive use" probably scares enough people who don't truly read the TOS or are actually abusing the service using it for torrenting on their laptop or something as their se Internet connection to conclude that it's not truly unlimited. And granted there are some hoops to jump through to increase your allotment per month. But if you follow the rules and are reasonable in monitoring your data, and calling them to "raise the bar" if you are needing more... they do exactly this thereby giving you truly unlimited data, at full HSPA+ "4G" 3G speeds, with no throttling whatsoever. For $45 a month. Its an exceptional, astonishing value... and while not the no-hassle all-you-can-eat style of sprint, you actually get a service you can use with speeds that average to me around 10MB/s and as long as you care enough to show that you're actually watching how much you consume, you can consume as much as you wish. I think this is a terrific and fair compromise and now that I'm in my third month, felt the need to share what I have learned and my full support of Straight Talk. Their method of "limiting" people may be a tad unethical, but because they absolutely offer truly unlimited data as long as you follow their rules shows to me integrity and truth in their advertising.

Granted, some people may think that calling them every GB of usage is too big of a hassle (and they have a point, it takes about 1HR on the phone with them each time because their reps are stretched so thin), but it's exactly those type of people that Straight Talk doesn't want (and probably can't handle) using their service. For unlimited data with no throttling, it's certainly worth the hassle to me. If you don't want the hassle, you're welcome to pay $160 a month on AT&T like I used to every month. I'm taking the $100+ I save every month and putting it towards a huge vacation. I'll have $1500 extra every year and the pleasure of knowing I'm no longer giving directly to AT&T, a company which I despise and loathe.

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Okay... I've been trolling these boards for a while reading everything on the subject and I just have to chime in here with my experiences with Straight Talk.

First of all, it IS unlimited data .......... I'm no longer giving directly to AT&T, a company which I despise and loathe.

great experience you shared! I got on straight talk last year Feburary and back then they didn't hand out sim cards but I went the long route and got a Nokia E71 just to use its sim in my iPhone 4....all I can say is it was well worth it and now that they do sell the sim cards I sold my Mint condition nokia E71 for $105(I bought it for $110 used) and I can say I am happier than ever! To me I never abused their data, I knew 2GB was the limit back then and I never went over 1.5GB except once, but its great to know that 3GB Is the new limit!:D I am so happy because I don't abuse it already but its great to know I can go up another 1GB....but at the end of the day it plays down to "Don't abuse something you getting for good value" $45 @ Straight Talk is truly amazing! I am from Canada originally and Trust me when I tell people I got all that for $45 (actually I would pay 3months at a time so more like $42...) they get amazed and wish they could have something similar because in Canada cheapest plan with data start @ $45 if you want iPhone and even then you only get 200-500MB....

All you straight talk users, If you use the service kindly, You will enjoy the savings and less frustrations, the more you abuse.....well you know whats coming for you...headache after headache and stress.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Risk being cut off? No thanks. I'll stick with contract AT&T. It's good to see another option out there, but it's not the be-all end-all for wireless service.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Okay... I'll have $1500 extra every year and the pleasure of knowing I'm no longer giving directly to AT&T, a company which I despise and loathe.

Great experience with ST Okwhatev. I have been with them for nearly a month and I'm so happy as well. like many others, I also didnt know the new softcap is 3GB instead of 2GB. I was also on at&t and had the grandfathered unlimited $30/mo data plan, but like many other people here on this thread I was paying too much money.

I dont really mind having a cap, because on at&t I rarely went over 2GB, sometimes I woud hit 3.8GB in a month but since I also have comcast internet at home, I can use as much wi-fi as I want (150GB/mo allotment) and dont need to be abusing the cellular network in the process.

I also love the ST service, I love the fact that they do not throttle customers like at&t does and also that international text is included (but not advertised). I have been able to communicate with my sister in Europe almost on a daily basis via text (something I was not able to do when on at&t because each international text would have cost me an arm & a leg) and for $45/mo it is the best deal out there and full 3G speeds that the iphone can work on.

At first, I was also hesitating when I first read about ST here, and I had a bad feeling that I was going to let go of my grandfather at&t unlimited data plan, but after thinking it over, and over I thought the best way was to save money but switching. I went ahead, ordered my $14 micro-SIM plus shipping and in 3 days it was delivered to my door and the same day I was up and running, ported the number with no problem (excellent customer service, and quick despite been stretched too thin). It has been almost a month now since I switched to ST and I still dont regret it because I'm saving monies (gast prices are high) and at the same time in all of its concept as you explained it is true unlimited plan in all respects of voice, messaging and data.

PS: wish ST comes out with their account app for iOS or android so we can monitor our account usage and payments.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
ST is about 2GB, Comcast is 250GB.

International text is pretty useless. There's lots of free IM solutions out there like WhatsApp or Google Chat that are free and work globally.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
ST is about 2GB, Comcast is 250GB.

International text is pretty useless. There's lots of free IM solutions out there like WhatsApp or Google Chat that are free and work globally.

Yes I meant to put 250GB on Comcast, not 150GB limit per month.

about int's text, my sister doesnt have a smartphone, she uses a simple regular phone that is able to receive and send int'l text, but yes I'm aware of apps that run over data that send text, but most of them work on smartphones only.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Great experience with ST

PS: wish ST comes out with their account app for iOS or android so we can monitor our account usage and payments.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it'll help others who are thinking about switching. And yes, it would be nice if they included some kind of app to track usage. Thankfully if you're on the unlimited, the only usage you have to worry about it data, and the iPhone can help you keep track of it (Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage).

about int's text, my sister doesnt have a smartphone, she uses a simple regular phone that is able to receive and send int'l text, but yes I'm aware of apps that run over data that send text, but most of them work on smartphones only.

I would have to agree with chestvrg. International texts do come in handy, but I think only a limited number of people will find it useful. Not everyone outside the US has a smartphone, especially where I come from, so it's handy to know that I'm able to text someone if I have to. The only problem is their texts are prohibitively expensive, so they can't reply too often.

Last edited:

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Thank you for pointing out that int'l do come in handy when you need them. The point is that ST provides all these perks at no additional charge.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yes I meant to put 250GB on Comcast, not 150GB limit per month.

I'm sure there's apps that will do that too. But really, what country does she live in? Do they not have smartphones there?

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I'm sure there's apps that will do that too. But really, what country does she live in? Do they not have smartphones there?

She lives in Spain in a place called, Seville. I'm sure they have smartphones too, obvious it is Europe but my sis is not into technology.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Wow good info okwhatev. Thanks

I recently switched to ST and everything works fine. As long as you don't abuse it u are fine. 3 months prepaid service even with tax is $45 per line. Its true that the more smartphones u have the less of a deal u get but for me with 2 smartphones switching from sprint family plan to ST saves me $50 a month

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
She lives in Spain in a place called, Seville. I'm sure they have smartphones too, obvious it is Europe but my sis is not into technology.

Yeah, they have smartphones in Spain. Their cellular connectivity puts ours absolutely to shame. They have coverage EVERYWHERE, even on subways and underground and such, unlike here where it will drop. She should get with the modern world and get one.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Yeah, they have smartphones in Spain. Their cellular connectivity puts ours absolutely to shame. They have coverage EVERYWHERE, even on subways and underground and such, unlike here where it will drop. She should get with the modern world and get one.

My family lives in a third world country where smartphones still cost $500 to $1500 and obviously not many people can afford them. Even if they can, the data costs on the networks are prohibitively high and the connections aren't very reliable.

Just admit that yes, international texts are a useful feature. I'll give that not many will use it, but it is useful.

:)

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010

Yeah, she has Movistar if I'm not mistaking as her carrier.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Like I said before, the point here to see what good of a deal we are getting with ST. Just to have an int'l text MSG. Plan on at&t for 200 messages/mo. It is like $10 or something, while on ST it is included in the plan at no additional charge.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
My predictions that will be a Straighttalk killer:

1) AT&T will have plans that include texts. There will be no more separate fees for SMS or Family messaging.

2) Family data is coming. We will most likely save a few dollars, for example $60 for 5gb shared on up to 5 lines. This will cause more family members to add smartphones to their plans.

This will bring back those who went to pre-pay. Mark my words!

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
They shouldn't have to bring back customers if they don't lose them in the first place. Texts and family plans don't mean much to me really.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
My predictions that will be a Straighttalk killer:

1) AT&T will have plans that include texts. There will be no more separate fees for SMS or Family messaging.

2) Family data is coming. We will most likely save a few dollars, for example $60 for 5gb shared on up to 5 lines. This will cause more family members to add smartphones to their plans.

This will bring back those who went to pre-pay. Mark my words!

Which is fine... I just want the plan that suits my needs and costs the least amount of money. And, as a StraighTalk user, I don't have a 2 year contract or early termination fees, so I can switch back to AT&T at any time. It's a win-win!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The big carriers have intentionally kept "Family Plans" as a "perk" for contract customers only. It's [one of] the last vestiges keeping a lot of folks away from prepaid. So yes, if you have 5 iPhone lines, a contract is the better deal. But that is not a typical situation. Straight Talk is pretty tough to beat vis-a-vi bang for the buck. Even for a couple lines. 5 I can understand the contract thinking.

U are right. Family talk plans keeps customers on postpaid plans. Especially those with corp discount. Like I get a 24% discount. I have a total of 4 lines including 3 $30 iPhone data plan and on dumbphone line. I have the 700 minute plan ($69.99) unlimited family text ($20 through AT&T rententions). Plus all those rollover minutes and any mobile.

My bill including taxes is $175 including. So even if I added another iPhone data plan. The bill would be $200 a month. Roughly $50/line. Factor in the $400 iPhone subsidy.

I would say those with 4 lines and my type of discount and plan come out at least $150 ahead over a 24 month period even factoring in the $36 activation fees.

So between lines 3-4. Family talk makes more sense than prepaid. But definitely straight talk makes sense for the first two lines and sometimes with the third line.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
I am now with virgin mobile. the data speeds are terrible in NYC
my average download is 450kbps. and I have gone through 3 motorola triumphs, all with hardware problems. I am sick of it.
I want to go to ST with my iphone 3gs. how is the service in nyc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.