Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I don't think it's venue size that limits it. There are only so many Apple employees to teach and do sessions.

arn
Maybe a combination of space and teachers. I have not attended so only guessing. However, I did teach in my younger years and if you have double the room size you can teach/lecture twice as many people. However, when I taught labs I was limited to the number of work stations and that may be the problem. Of course, I wonder if everyone has to bring there on laptop anyway and day 1 is to install some software. I guess we are talking about classes for developers which may already be on the latest beta as it is. There are also other options like teleconference. Maybe if you pay 1/3 the cost you can attend the session via teleconference. Just saying maybe other options.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I haven't been to WWDC....

....since '07 and '08. Back then, there used to be a discounted price for employees of educational institutions. Anyone know if that was still the case this year, or is it $1699 across the board, period, end of story?

Thinking about budgeting for WWDC '13. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Maybe a combination of space and teachers. I have not attended so only guessing. However, I did teach in my younger years and if you have double the room size you can teach/lecture twice as many people. However, when I taught labs I was limited to the number of work stations and that may be the problem. Of course, I wonder if everyone has to bring there on laptop anyway and day 1 is to install some software. I guess we are talking about classes for developers which may already be on the latest beta as it is. There are also other options like teleconference. Maybe if you pay 1/3 the cost you can attend the session via teleconference. Just saying maybe other options.

It's more about the 1 on 1 interaction w/ Apple employees and the networking. I think Apple does put many of the sessions online for those w/ Dev membership to watch later for free.

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps it's time that Apple consider building it's own facility or move to a different locale. If they built their own facility, they could rent it out.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Maybe a combination of space and teachers. I have not attended so only guessing. However, I did teach in my younger years and if you have double the room size you can teach/lecture twice as many people. However, when I taught labs I was limited to the number of work stations and that may be the problem. Of course, I wonder if everyone has to bring there on laptop anyway and day 1 is to install some software. I guess we are talking about classes for developers which may already be on the latest beta as it is.

I haven't been to WWDC before, either. My question is: how are the training sessions set up? Is it kind of lecture/lab class? If so, increasing class sizes might work. However, if it's more of a one-on-one kind of thing where you get individual attention, increasing class size would probably make it worse.

There are also other options like teleconference. Maybe if you pay 1/3 the cost you can attend the session via teleconference. Just saying maybe other options.

That would be kinda cool. Or maybe do a per session cost thing so you only pay for sessions you go to.

....since '07 and '08. Back then, there used to be a discounted price for employees of educational institutions. Anyone know if that was still the case this year, or is it $1699 across the board, period, end of story?

Thinking about budgeting for WWDC '13. :)

I'd like a discount (who wouldn't, though?). Plus, wasn't there an early bird discount, too? And now, it's actually $1599.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I don't think it's venue size that limits it. There are only so many Apple employees to teach and do sessions.

arn
Agreed. I would like to see them have "Week 2" to accommodate another batch of developers. That would be practical.

The benefits for having twice the record number of developers gain access this year would have uncertain but likely large benefits to the ecosystem down the road.

Rocketman

Last edited:

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I'm sure you'll find 1000's of apple sheepable willing to pay 10x the cost.
Congrats on capitalizing on apple!

----------

Don't hate the player. :cool:

----------

You mad?

Ya I'm pissed - I really wanted to drop $2K to go.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I haven't been to WWDC before, either. My question is: how are the training sessions set up? Is it kind of lecture/lab class? If so, increasing class sizes might work. However, if it's more of a one-on-one kind of thing where you get individual attention, increasing class size would probably make it worse.

That would be kinda cool. Or maybe do a per session cost thing so you only pay for sessions you go to.

I'd like a discount (who wouldn't, though?). Plus, wasn't there an early bird discount, too? And now, it's actually $1599.

The sessions sizes are pretty big already, I went last year and some rooms have upwards of 1000 people in them I would guess. At least in the room they do the keynote in.

The labs are the real lure though, unfortunately I did not attend any as it was my first time going but I'm pretty sure they are one on one.

Really sucks, I was looking forward to using the labs this year.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Perhaps it's time that Apple consider building it's own facility or move to a different locale. If they built their own facility, they could rent it out.

AS arn said, it might not be size of the venue but rather number of teachers available for the sessions. There have been multiple stories about how Apple likes having small teams of developers so Apple might not just have enough trainers.

Though I do like your idea about building its own venue. Be able to hold its own events on its own schedule instead of Moscone West's. Plus, Apple would be able to set up the layout, hardware & infrastructure to their own needs better than they could at Moscone West. While it would probably mean lost jobs at Moscone West, those jobs will probably recouped at Apple's new place if they built one.

Agreed. I would like to see them have "Week 2" to accommodate another batch of developers. That would be practical.

That would be cool. If Apple could afford the trainers, maybe instead of a 2 week thing, keep the one week thing but at multiple locations throughout the world. Plus, with international locations, Apple could get trainers who speak the local languages so people who wouldn't normally go due to the sessions being in only English could then go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.