Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

browett-150x224.jpg
A pair of filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission published early today reveal that former Dixons Retail CEO John Browett, who was announced in January as the next Senior Vice President of Retail at Apple, has officially started work with the company. The development is in line with previous announcements about an April start.

Browett's start date was revealed in an SEC Form 3 filing noting that Browett owned no stock in Apple at the time he began work. The document lists April 20 as the "date of event requiring statement", indicating that he began work at Apple last Friday.

As of that start date, Browett also received a total of 100,000 restricted stock units (RSUs) on Friday, with staggered vesting dates designed to reward Browett for staying on the job. At Apple's current stock price, those RSUs are worth roughly $61 million. The first batch of 5,000 units will vest on October 20, and an additional 15,000 units will vest at Browett's one-year anniversary with the company, which is April 20, 2013. The remainder of the units will vest in batches of 20,000 units on each anniversary of his start date through the fifth year.

Unlike options, restricted stock units do not require the recipient to purchase stock at an exercise price in order to receive the shares. The RSUs simply convert to actual shares on the vesting dates, although there are tax implications to the conversion that generally result in recipients immediately selling off at least some portion of their grants as they vest.

Browett has not yet been added to Apple's leadership page on its website, but his photo and a brief biography should be appearing there in the near future. Browett replaces Ron Johnson, who left Apple last November to become CEO of department store chain J.C. Penney.

Article Link: John Browett Officially Joins Apple as Retail Chief, Receives Stock Rights Worth $60 Million

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Prepare for an Apple rebrand to white text on a red background with '75% OFF SALE' signs everywhere in the shops :p

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Wow. So just for surviving the first 6 months he gets $3,000,000 in stock alone (not sure what his salary is). If he lasts the remainder of the year he pockets an additional $9,000,000. At $12MM a year, he makes about the same amount per day, seven days a week, as the average US salary per year: $35K vs. a national average of $39K.

P.S. I might add that this is for the FIRST year's performance, this is not rewarding a stellar prior year. We've all been at new jobs where basically the first 6 months is getting up and running and learning the ropes of business, culture, industry, etc.

Last edited:

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Wow. So just for surviving the first 6 months he gets $3,000,000 is stock alone (not sure what his salary is). If he lasts the remainder of the year he pockets an additional $9,000,000. At $12MM a year, he makes about the same amount per day, seven days a week, as the average US salary per year: $35K vs. a national average of $39K.

This is one of the many reasons the system is as screwed up as it is... the financial disparity is close to tipping point.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Prepare for an Apple rebrand to white text on a red background with '75% OFF SALE' signs everywhere in the shops :p

Words fail me...Tim Cook was slated on his installation and seems to be doing a good job so far...I don't think it's all that constructive to label people just because they have been associated with (And I Agree) one of the worst PC and computer related retail outlets known to man...I say give him a chance and judge him on his performance rather than his previous employment history.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Wow. So just for surviving the first 6 months he gets $3,000,000 is stock alone (not sure what his salary is). If he lasts the remainder of the year he pockets an additional $9,000,000. At $12MM a year, he makes about the same amount per day, seven days a week, as the average US salary per year: $35K vs. a national average of $39K.

The sad thing is, that is a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of other companies. Most companies give more money to CEOs that run their business into the ground...

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
As of that start date, Browett also received a total of 100,000 restricted stock units (RSUs) on Friday, with staggered vesting dates designed to reward Browett for staying on the job. At Apple's current stock price, those RSUs are worth roughly $61 million.
I know it's supposed to be encouragement, but maybe they should see how he does for a few weeks rather than giving him so much stock before he even sits down in his office.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Well hopefully he has hidden talents, because *any* part of the Dixons experience brought into Apple will be a major negative.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
the money/bonuses that is paid these days for top management is beyond me. what good can come from earning these ridiculous amounts of money.. you will become a company in your own right trying to spend all that money... waste of time

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
the money/bonuses that is paid these days for top management is beyond me. what good can come from earning these ridiculous amounts of money.. you will become a company in your own right trying to spend all that money... waste of time

You read the article right? He isn't getting a paycheck at the end of the year for $61 million. That comes through many years spent at Apple

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Wow, some jealous people here above. Who cares what someone earns at a commercial company? It's not like Apple is a government agency.

If I can get a deal with my boss to, for example, earn $10 million US dollars a month, than so what? It might be unfair to others, but the boss decides. It really is non of anyone's business what someone earns - that it, unless the tax payers pay for it, and that's not the case right now.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
This is America still correct, we still strive to become rich and prosperous? If you want to become rich and have everything he has work hard and maybe one day you to can realize the same dream. Why do people these days like to $**** on people when they make it today. :rolleyes:

tumblr_l1vgzyBv6t1qatxuao1_500.jpg

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Oh what have you done..

Anyone in the UK will know what type of customer experience you get at Dixons..... Thats right none!

I don't see what this guy can bring to the table, everything that Apple is Dixons isn't or for all those Dixons stores that had to close down wasn't. Visual Merchandising is terrible, and customer service is almost next to none.

It isnt just Dixon stores either its all their other brands such as PC World that has Apple Display units filled with every notebook other than Apple or Currys that has Apple dislpays with missing products or iMacs that have never been updated or connected.

I hope Apple have given those shares based on performance and not just because of his hair style!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.