Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansdad

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Just got my fuelband in this morning! working well, so far. I noticed when I linked it to my iphone 4s, my phone did not recognize it as the Nike+ FuelBand, it showed only a series of numbers. While this may be the ESN I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this? Thanks.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I agree with you. People who call this gimmick are the same people that sit on their ass and have waist size above 40 and never hit the gym.

The people that call it a gimmick tend to already be in shape and know this is just marketed towards the achievement-whore gamers that need to be constantly rewarded for every little thing.

It's a nice idea, but it clearly doesn't work properly as it counts sitting at a desk or driving in a car as walking for 2 miles.

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle
Just got my fuelband in this morning! working well, so far. I noticed when I linked it to my iphone 4s, my phone did not recognize it as the Nike+ FuelBand, it showed only a series of numbers. While this may be the ESN I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this? Thanks.

Just got mine this morning too. Didn't have the problem you had though. Synced fine with my laptop and iPhone 4S. This thing is awesome! :D

----------

The people that call it a gimmick tend to already be in shape and know this is just marketed towards the achievement-whore gamers that need to be constantly rewarded for every little thing.

It's a nice idea, but it clearly doesn't work properly as it counts sitting at a desk or driving in a car as walking for 2 miles.

I have heard about counting while sitting and so forth. But mine has not been counting at all while I'm sitting on my desk or even just shaking my arm back and forth. Seems pretty accurate for me so far!

stevecol

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Guy at work has one and it works fine for him too - it looks a great piece of kit. Really impressed. He loves it and it linked just fine too

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009

Been using mine for about 3 days now....all I have to say is that is a HUGE exaggeration. With all due respect, please don't spread false claims like this. I get about 20-30 fuel points on a 25 minute drive. Sitting at a desk studying, I got about 100 in two hours.

While I realize people have different habits, getting the equivalent of 2 miles worth of fuel points (about 800, i've checked) is near impossible unless your deliberately attempting to cheat the system.

Whoever claims they got 2 miles worth of points on a drive is either lying or fist pumping for 30minutes straight on the way to their destination.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Can someone who has used their Fuel Band for a while comment on the usefulness (accuracy) with exercise that use leg motion more than arms. Specifically I'm thinking about Pilates, cycling machines, and circuit training. I thinking about giving one as a gift and I know this is 90% of their routine. The other 10% is outdoor running.

LMAO!! So funny because I bet some people actually do this, with or without the fuelband.

Only if their name is something like "The Situation," or "Pauly D" they are on the Jersey pike.

beansdad

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Guy at work has one and it works fine for him too - it looks a great piece of kit. Really impressed. He loves it and it linked just fine too

My band syncs to my phone and works great, (with exception of linking to F.B.), only my iPhone 4s shows the Fuelband as a number rather than by the type of equipment in the Bluetooth list.

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Been using mine for about 3 days now....all I have to say is that is a HUGE exaggeration. With all due respect, please don't spread false claims like this. I get about 20-30 fuel points on a 25 minute drive. Sitting at a desk studying, I got about 100 in two hours.

While I realize people have different habits, getting the equivalent of 2 miles worth of fuel points (about 800, i've checked) is near impossible unless your deliberately attempting to cheat the system.

Whoever claims they got 2 miles worth of points on a drive is either lying or fist pumping for 30minutes straight on the way to their destination.

Totally agree. Mine has been pretty darn accurate and I tested the hell out of it this weekend.

I'm really happy with it. Oddly I've even gotten compliments on the cool bracelet I an wearing, which was surprising.

johnjackson000

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Hey guys I have a question. I tried out the sizing guide and it pointed to the end of Small and very close to Medium. Should I get Small or would Medium be a good idea? Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the sizing guide? I don't want the band to be too loose nor too tight. I read the whole thread and didn't really see much information on borderline sizing. I did read for someone that the guide pointed towards Medium but Small was a better fit. Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

yea when i measured with the print out...i put it snug to my wrist...

here is a pic to show where it was. and i had to keep in mind that the printout also said that it accounts for the "extra links" so i figured id need a large and without the links should fit snug.

what you think?

Did you end up buying the Fuel Band? And if so what size did you get and how it end up working for you?

Last edited:

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Hey guys I have a question. I tried out the sizing guide and it pointed to the end of Small and very close to Medium. Should I get Small or would Medium be a good idea? Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the sizing guide? I don't want the band to be too loose nor too tight. I read the whole thread and didn't really see much information on borderline sizing. I did read for someone that the guide pointed towards Medium but Small was a better fit. Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you end up buying the Fuel Band? And if so what size did you get and how it end up working for you?

not just yet..i got a little nervous on the accuracy issues ive been reading online.

however...friend of mine just got a medium...so i plan on trying his on with the extenders to see how it fits.

also....i did end up tweeting nikefuel and showed them a picture of the sizing guide on my wrist...and they recommended i get a large. not sure if that helps or not.

johnjackson000

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
not just yet..i got a little nervous on the accuracy issues ive been reading online.

however...friend of mine just got a medium...so i plan on trying his on with the extenders to see how it fits.

also....i did end up tweeting nikefuel and showed them a picture of the sizing guide on my wrist...and they recommended i get a large. not sure if that helps or not.

Thanks for replying and sharing what Nike said. It seems a little bit odd they would recommend large even though their guide falls within medium for you. It almost feels like they would rather you get something a little loose but still wearable vs. the chance it might be too tight and them having to deal with a return. Nike should do a video guide for borderline sizing so we could better decide whether a particular size will end up being too tight or loose for us.

As for accuracy.. I think of the Fuel Band as more of a toy to keep you motivated to stay in shape than a tool for accurate tracking. If your goal is to get something with accurate tracking there are Nike watches that have GPS and do heart rate logging that are close to the same price range. I've read they're a lot more accurate than the Fuel Band in logging calories burned but they're definitely not as cool as the Fuel Band and it's iOS companion app. I have trouble sticking to a exercise regimen for extended periods of time but I do admittedly like playing video games so this might help keep me focused with it's Fuel Points.. so I hope :p

Anyhow if you get a chance to test out your friend's medium it would be appreciated if you update us :D

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle

Thanks!

For those of you wondering about size, when I used the sizing chart, my arrow pointed exactly in the middle of Medium, maybe a hair towards large, and I received it. It fits very nicely with the smaller/already attached link on it. Not too tight but not too lose that it'll slide all over your arm. I can't fit my index finger underneath the band with the small link on. I tried removing the link and putting it on and it fits snug/tight. Not tight to the point you lose circulation or anything but tight enough that it won't move at all. Hope I could help at all!

imalazeeass

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Has anyone been having issues connecting to the nike+ site w/ the device plugged in? I just got mine today and it worked when I first setup it up but now it just hangs every time I try to sync with the site.

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for replying and sharing what Nike said. It seems a little bit odd they would recommend large even though their guide falls within medium for you. It almost feels like they would rather you get something a little loose but still wearable vs. the chance it might be too tight and them having to deal with a return. Nike should do a video guide for borderline sizing so we could better decide whether a particular size will end up being too tight or loose for us.

As for accuracy.. I think of the Fuel Band as more of a toy to keep you motivated to stay in shape than a tool for accurate tracking. If your goal is to get something with accurate tracking there are Nike watches that have GPS and do heart rate logging that are close to the same price range. I've read they're a lot more accurate than the Fuel Band in logging calories burned but they're definitely not as cool as the Fuel Band and it's iOS companion app. I have trouble sticking to a exercise regimen for extended periods of time but I do admittedly like playing video games so this might help keep me focused with it's Fuel Points.. so I hope :p

Anyhow if you get a chance to test out your friend's medium it would be appreciated if you update us :D

the sizing guide does say that it takes in account the additional links that come with the band...thats why im thinking they suggested the large.

but yes....when i get a chance to try it on, i will keep you updated.

For those of you wondering about size, when I used the sizing chart, my arrow pointed exactly in the middle of Medium, maybe a hair towards large, and I received it. It fits very nicely with the smaller/already attached link on it. Not too tight but not too lose that it'll slide all over your arm. I can't fit my index finger underneath the band with the small link on. I tried removing the link and putting it on and it fits snug/tight. Not tight to the point you lose circulation or anything but tight enough that it won't move at all. Hope I could help at all!

which size did you end up getting?

this is what the sizing guide looked like on my wrist when i put it on tight. is this similar to how it looked on your wrist?

photo.jpg

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle
the sizing guide does say that it takes in account the additional links that come with the band...thats why im thinking they suggested the large.

but yes....when i get a chance to try it on, i will keep you updated.

which size did you end up getting?

this is what the sizing guide looked like on my wrist when i put it on tight. is this similar to how it looked on your wrist?

I got a medium. And no, like I said previously, it was pretty much exactly in the middle of the medium. I like my medium

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
Update on my fuel band for anyone worried about accuracy.

Active days - 9
Fuel points - 30,000

Estimate on where my points come from each day...
- 1400-1500 General walking (campus, Walmart, stairs, etc)
- 300-400 Miscalculations (driving, writing/sitting, cooking, brushing teeth, washing hands, etc)
- 700-900 Running (around 2-3miles a day)
- 500-700 Workout (200 sit ups, 9x sets of whatever, squats, etc)

Keep in mind these will probably vary from person to person, but I believe these numbers are fairly accurate for a typical college student. As you can see, miscalculations may account for ~9-12% of my total daily fuel points. I counteract this by setting my goal to 3,400.

Also, the fuel band doesn't really play nicely with lifting weights as you may have guessed. The only reason I get so many points is I do jumping jacks or run up and down stairs between sets to keep my heart rate going.

Anyone who's doing mainly body movements and less arms. You still get points, just very few. I get about 1 point per squat/situp (not moving my wrists, but up and down movement from my legs seem to work).

For what its worth, its been doing wonders for me. Today I pushed my running a little farther and harder just so I could surpass my Tuesday fuel point record. Hope you guys are enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Last edited:

imalazeeass

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Update on my fuel band for anyone worried about accuracy.

Active days - 9
Fuel points - 30,000

Estimate on where my points come from each day...
- 1400-1500 General walking (campus, Walmart, stairs, etc)
- 300-400 Miscalculations (driving, writing/sitting, cooking, brushing teeth, washing hands, etc)
- 700-900 Running (around 2-3miles a day)
- 500-700 Workout (200 sit ups, 9x sets of whatever, squats, etc)

Keep in mind these will probably vary from person to person, but I believe these numbers are fairly accurate for a typical college student. As you can see, miscalculations may account for ~9-12% of my total daily fuel points. I counteract this by setting my goal to 3,400.

Also, the fuel band doesn't really play nicely with lifting weights as you may have guessed. The only reason I get so many points is I do jumping jacks or run up and down stairs between sets to keep my heart rate going.

Anyone who's doing mainly body movements and less arms. You still get points, just very few. I get about 1 point per squat/situp (not moving my wrists, but up and down movement from my legs seem to work).

For what its worth, its been doing wonders for me. Today I pushed my running a little farther and harder just so I could surpass my Tuesday fuel point record. Hope you guys are enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Totally agree - you need to add more points to your goal to make up for the "free points" that you get throughout the day.

imalazeeass

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Question for anyone who has this - what happens if you forget to sync your band prior to 12 am (when it resets)? Does that mean you lose your entire day's data? The reason I ask is because I forgot to sync until after 12 and it gave me 0 data for my day's work and everything is reset back to 0 on the band. The weird thing is that I did sync it periodically throughout the day but did not do so at the very end of the day. However, my entire day still shows up as 0 on both the iphone and the website.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I love mine too. It helps me push further in my workouts, running etc.

I've had it 10 days now and my results are in the pictures below.

I've synced mine the day after and haven't had any issues, it seems to remember. Your situation sounds odd. Did you check that your Nike app was on the right day? View attachment 337222

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335359259.038941.jpg

d05eb8f7-f75e-ca20.jpg

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
These sound like a great motivational tool and don't look bad either. Lot's of really neat fitness gads being thought up lately.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
That day I did my Insanity workout, a 3 mile run and the cheering like a nut at a Rockies game and oh I'm an electrician.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
How does this differ than Nike+ or Nike+ GPS?

Let me rephrase that. I use Nike+ on the treadmill and Nike+ GPS outdoors. What does the band do differently?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.