Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:56 PM   #51
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

I have a few dumb questions:

1) What happens if you rip a 3D BluRay? I have a 3D TV, will it show up 3D or is the movie actually 2D?

2) Is there an ideal bitrate for HD? In handbrake Im using the default AppleTV2 preset and a movie like Dark Knight was a 2500 bitrate, but kiddie movies that I dont necessarily need the highest quality of (High School Musical 3, Chipmunks: Chipwrecked) were default encoded at 4800. Both "look" okay but Dark Knight is the lowest bitrate in my entire collection so far which seems odd so im wondering if I should do it again and force a higher bitrate. (Obviously im not understanding what bitrate means to the overall quality)

Thanks again. Im afraid im going to wear out my mini because its been chugging away at my collection for 3 days straight.
KittyKatta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:01 PM   #52
charlien
macrumors regular

I took a look at IVI. It produces a file twice the size of an MVK processed with Handbrake using the Apple Universal setting. I'm very pleased with the Handbrake settings. Am I missing something?
charlien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:16 PM   #53
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlien View Post
I took a look at IVI. It produces a file twice the size of an MVK processed with Handbrake using the Apple Universal setting. I'm very pleased with the Handbrake settings. Am I missing something?
If you like the video quality, then no, you're not missing anything. We all want the smallest file size possible with the best quality possible...right? HB's h.264 compression is very good and that's why we put up with the less than fancy GIU compared to other products. And did I mention...free?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:30 PM   #54
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlien View Post
IVI uses the HandBrake CLI for compression (albeit outdated). So my presumption would be different settings.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
HB's h.264 compression is very good and that's why we put up with the less than fancy GIU compared to other products. And did I mention...free?
HB's GUI's are the way there are for a reason. Not fancy as you pointed out but imo very functional, which in the end is the main thing. They offer total transparency as to what you have chosen as opposed to hiding things in a simple one click interface. The presets should allow basically one click encoding but with that convenience ... you can still always see every single thing that HB is doing at any point.

With iVI I have no clue what settings are being passed to the HB CLI when it transcodes ... UI does not translate that to the user. Hence my previous statement about settings.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:36 PM   #55
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post

HB's GUI's are the way there are for a reason. Not fancy as you pointed out but imo very functional, which in the end is the main thing. They offer total transparency as to what you have chosen as opposed to hiding things in a simple one click interface. The presets should allow basically one click encoding but with that convenience ... you can still always see every single thing that HB is doing at any point.
Said like a true scholar! And that's exactly why I use it!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:50 PM   #56
charlien
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
If you like the video quality, then no, you're not missing anything. We all want the smallest file size possible with the best quality possible...right? HB's h.264 compression is very good and that's why we put up with the less than fancy GIU compared to other products. And did I mention...free?
I'm always looking for the next great app. Handbrake + Identify are still my favorites.
charlien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:19 PM   #57
Bymatt
macrumors member

Maybe this will let you look in, it does me......

Quote:
IVI uses the HandBrake CLI for compression (albeit outdated). So my presumption would be different settings.

----------

With iVI I have no clue what settings are being passed to the HB CLI when it transcodes ... UI does not translate that to the user. Hence my previous statement about settings.
I discovered that mediainfo, purchased off the mac store for .99, NOT TO BE CONFUSED with mediainfo Mac, lets me really look into all manner of files. In particular you can look into files created by iVI and many Video apps and see the HB string. I discovered that no matter the quality level I specified, iVI was using CQ20...I THINK it is varying the bit rate though, MDRP shows as using a CQ20 also...... Just find that interesting.
Bymatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 12:33 AM   #58
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Hb cli

Quote:

----------

Hey dynaflash, is there a way to replace the HB CLI within IVI by showing package contents or something? Would that break IVI.

I use handbrake for my own rips but every once in awhile I need to convert a WMV or AVI, don't care about the quality but like the drag and drop interface of IVI and iFlicks. Is there anyway to get better quality out of IVI by replacing the HB CLI?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 04:38 AM   #59
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
Hey dynaflash, is there a way to replace the HB CLI within IVI by showing package contents or something? Would that break IVI.

I use handbrake for my own rips but every once in awhile I need to convert a WMV or AVI, don't care about the quality but like the drag and drop interface of IVI and iFlicks. Is there anyway to get better quality out of IVI by replacing the HB CLI?
Using iVI should give you a new file with more or less the exact same size as the source. If you want to use it to reduce file size, you'll need to reduce the quality (like from HD to SD, or to make it playable on iPods).

If you want to maximize the quality to size ratio, you're pretty much stuck with using HB.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:10 PM   #60
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Using iVI should give you a new file with more or less the exact same size as the source. If you want to use it to reduce file size, you'll need to reduce the quality (like from HD to SD, or to make it playable on iPods).

If you want to maximize the quality to size ratio, you're pretty much stuck with using HB.
I think you missed what I was saying

IVI actually uses the Handbrake Command Line Interface ( HB CLI ) but like dynaflash ( one of the coders of Handbrake ) said, it uses an outdated version. I was just wondering if their is a way to get IVI to use the newer Handbrake engine.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:36 AM   #61
hafr
Banned

Quote:
I think you missed what I was saying

IVI actually uses the Handbrake Command Line Interface ( HB CLI ) but like dynaflash ( one of the coders of Handbrake ) said, it uses an outdated version. I was just wondering if their is a way to get IVI to use the newer Handbrake engine.
I know it does, but I I reckoned you thought that with just changing the engine, you would be able to get the same size/quality ratio with iVI as you would with HB (since you were talking about the difference in file size when the engine discussion started). My bad

But if I remember correctly, the first time I installed iVI I had to have HB installed already (or download it and install it) so that the engine would be present on the computer. Maybe my memory is way off, or they're now including the engine in iVI...

Maybe it's possible to edit the contents of iVI and add your own commands as standard? That way you could achieve better size/quality ratio without even touching the engine.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:24 AM   #62
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I have no idea. I don't use it.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:18 PM   #63
Fasm Trout
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomes View Post
Just wondering why people generally "rip" their Blu-ray collection. Isn't it better to always watch the BD as opposed to a "rip"?
I mainly do it on principle. I've purchased many DVDs and Blu-rays, yet every time I pull them out to watch in a player, I have to sit through ads... and trailers... and FBI warnings... and menu loading screens... etc.

With a ripped version: you push play and the film begins. Perfect.
Fasm Trout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:39 PM   #64
SunshineFires
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
You wanna walk in the park? Get the latest iFlicks. Ever since ATV3, I haven't re-encoded anything. Just throw in an MKV to iFlicks and it'll re-mux it super fast. It's got awesome tagging and 1080P tag support as well. Much faster and stabler than Subler. Subler is superior when you want to get into the nitty gritty which I seldom do.

I mean, iFlicks will take any XVID AVIs and remux them without re-encoding if you like!

MKW? Must be from Finland, lol.
This.
SunshineFires is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:46 AM   #65
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineFires View Post
This.
Subler is very stable now. v0.14 was shaky, 0.15b3 was usually stable, v0.16 is rock solid. Oh...and it's free.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:23 AM   #66
brack
macrumors newbie

iFlicks for $ 1.99 today only!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iflic...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
brack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:06 AM   #67
jdag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack View Post
Thanks...for $2 I bought iFlicks it to try out.

As for programs to remux, I've been having the best luck with the combo of MP4tools and Identify. iVI seems to take much longer than MP4tools. And I am not comfortable with the Subler workflow.

I am still debating about converting my entire collection (95% MKV) over to M4V so that I can dispense with my Jailbroken Apple TVs (with old firmware).
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 AM   #68
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Thanks...for $2 I bought iFlicks it to try out.
It's free for the first two weeks...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:29 AM   #69
jdag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's free for the first two weeks...
Sure...but now I "own" it for $2...the price of a cup of coffee!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:12 PM   #70
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
Sure...but now I "own" it for $2...the price of a cup of coffee!
I'm not saying you're wasting your money, I just felt it was weird buying it to try it when you could try it for free
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:23 PM   #71
jdag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wasting your money, I just felt it was weird buying it to try it when you could try it for free
Understand...but in some way/shape/form I am very likely to use it at some point. I thought that the $2 spend (and purchase via the App Store) trumps the demo download (and presumably separate purchase process).

Besides...Apple stock is struggling and I thought I'd help them out of this funk their in! ;-)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:54 PM   #72
mic j
macrumors 68020

I've tried iFlicks, iVI, mp4Tools, iDentify, metaZ, Simple Movie...you name it, and I have given them all a fair shot.

I always end up back at: MakeMKV (free), Handbrake (free), and Subler (free).

I do use mp4Tools($9)and MkvToolnix (free) for some specific tasks. I think the mp4Tools is going to be worth the $9 once it gets out of it's current beta phase. It's in the process of being re-written and changing encoders.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:32 PM   #73
pmcdunnough
macrumors member

My favourites would be:

Magic Media Marker, iVI Pro, iFlicks, Subler. All of these allow moving mkv tracks to m4v (i.e. remux). Of course Handbrake is also great when transcoding.

Philip
pmcdunnough is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:48 AM   #74
EliCsuf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomes View Post
What's the best tool to convert MKWs to MP4s (to be played on ATV2)?

I've used Handbrake for years and it works well but it seems long to encode.

I tried MP4 Tools and that was quicker but not sure if I am choosing the correct settings.

From MP4 Tools:

Should I be choosing "Pass-Thru" under the audio section even though it is solid Red? "If Red, the option is not recommended".

If I choose AC3 5.1 I don't get an audio.

I've been selecting Pass- Thru and it seems to work okay but just wondering if I am losing any sound quality....

Thanks for any help!

I'm still using VisualHub on Lion and ML.
EliCsuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #75
SuperRob
macrumors regular

I'm using Subler. I have about a terabyte of TV and Movies I've converted from MKV to M4V to stream to my Apple TV, and it's been great. I've only had a couple files it seemed to have issue with, but 99% of it has converted flawlessly.
SuperRob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater