Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

Over the last few months I've been looking into the older PPC games. One that I am particularly fond of (based on what I've seen) is American McGee's Alice. Ever since I first read about it and watched YouTube videos on it I have been dying to play.

I've been dying to play, but I have only been able to play the old Demo for Mac OS 8.6 or higher. You cannot find American McGee's Alice for Mac anywhere at a decent price. I'm willing to pay $20-30 for a used copy, but everyone wants to charge around $50 and up!

So far, I've looked through Amazon.com, eBay.com, my local craigslist.com, buy.com, and I've done a hell of a lot of Googling looking for a place to purchase. No one has this game for a logical price!

The cheapest I've seen the game (keep in mind I want the Mac version, NOT PC) is $49.90 in Like New condition. I really want this game, but it's sickening to think that I'd pay $50 for a 10+ year old game.

The only other option I see on Amazon is a game package called 'Leave the Lights On' that includes American McGee's Alice, Clive Barker's Undying, and BloodRayne. The whole package is $54.98. $5 more for two more games.

What should I do? Do you know of another website to purchase the game from?

By the way, the new release 'Alice Madness Returns' is available for $9 for PC (no Mac version). Why the hell is the new one cheap and the old one so expensive?!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
By the way, the new release 'Alice Madness Returns' is available for $9 for PC (no Mac version). Why the hell is the new one cheap and the old one so expensive?!

That's an easy one - the mac version is rare. My original "Like New" N64 Ocarina of Time is worth a fair amount, but my 3DS version is worth half of that.

Can you not get the PC version and run it through Bootcamp or one of those WINE solutions?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It would be nice if Aspyr put the game on the MAS, but they probably don't have the rights to it anymore. Alas.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
The problem you may also run into is that the Mac version of the game has a PPC installer. This will not not work in lion. There is a intel update, but requires the game to be installed first. You could get the windows version and run it in a wine bottle or crossover (commercial version of wine).

Seems like Trav

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Also, if you have a PS3, you can purchase a new copy of Alice: Madness Returns (for probably $30 or less by now) and it should come with a card to download the original game. That's what I did.

On that note, if you really want the original Mac version, I have an original copy in very nice condition that I've be willing to let go for 30, shipped (due to buying the PS3 version). But as mentioned above, i don't know if it would work on newer OSes or not. Drop me a line if so.

T

Last edited:

nathanielonfire

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
I have the original Mac version that was sold as part of "Leave the Lights On" 3-pack from Aspyr from several years ago. I had trouble getting it to run well on Tiger on a PPC Mac (there were all sorts of audio problems, but it "ran"), so I have no clue if it would even work on Leopard and beyond, or on an Intel Mac. Keep in mind that it actually was a Carbon program running on OS X (10.0) and OS 8.6/9.x. It's really, really old.

Funny thing is is that I bought that 3-pack for $10 when it came out. Oh how things have changed.

Honestly, I think running the PC version would be better. It's going to be a lot cheaper and a lot less of a headache if you go that route instead.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I remember playing that on my old G3 iBook in Mac OS 9! It sure has been a long time!

Sadly and stupidly, I sold some of my old games and my Mac version of Alice was in there. At least I kept Halo which is another tough find for the Mac but easily found for Windows anywhere.

When I bought Halo for the Mac it was via another Mac forum and got it for reasonable price as the owner knew I was going to play it instead of flipping it for profit. I still fire it up every so often and was so happy to have a full UB build as the original was PPC as well.

Lion is so unkind to us old Mac game lovers. I always wanted to try out Undying but never found it. Still got physical retail versions of Doom 3, Prey, Fable, Bioshock and a ton of other OS X games but I missed out on a lot of classics simply cause they couldn't be found.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I know that the game won't run on Intel. I would be playing it on my iMac G3's and PowerMac G4's. All of them have OS 9 and misc OS X versions loaded.

lpzsam909

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Also, if you have a PS3, you can purchase a new copy of Alice: Madness Returns (for probably $30 or less by now) and it should come with a card to download the original game. That's what I did.

On that note, if you really want the original Mac version, I have an original copy in very nice condition that I've be willing to let go for 30, shipped (due to buying the PS3 version). But as mentioned above, i don't know if it would work on newer OSes or not. Drop me a line if so.

T

I would love to purchase the original Mac version. If you could let me know whether or not you would still be willing to sell it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Seems like Trav

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
I would love to purchase the original Mac version. If you could let me know whether or not you would still be willing to sell it I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sure thing. I still am, yes. I think otherwise it would probably just sit here. It's the original release in a jewel case and manual (it cam in a box but that was tossed sometime along the way, unfortunately. It's still in great condition - I can send over some pics is the morning if you want to be sure. My email is seematory[at]cox[dot]net

Last edited:

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Alice is a great game. Even playing it today on some of my older PPC Macs is great. The art style and music are what created such a wonderful experience. Some really trippy sequences added to the atmosphere also.

I play the game on Tiger (10.4.11) and it works fine here. It has crashed a bit every once in a while though.

Good luck with the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.