Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
A couple of times I have lost my place in a book in the iBooks app, and it reverts to the beginning. Has anyone else experienced this?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Nope - I'm currently reading a book in iBooks, and if I leave the app, and then return later, it takes me back to the last page I was reading. Have you tried setting a bookmark - would that help?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Nope - I'm currently reading a book in iBooks, and if I leave the app, and then return later, it takes me back to the last page I was reading. Have you tried setting a bookmark - would that help?

I'm sure it would, but I don't want to have to set a bookmark every time. It has been working, but a few times it didn't.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I mostly use the Kindle app, but I always set a bookmark just in case. Seems rather silly to find setting a bookmark inconvenient, but whatever. :)

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
A couple of times I have lost my place in a book in the iBooks app, and it reverts to the beginning. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've had it happen 3 times now, all with the same book. I read different books with different readers but never used iBooks until I discovered that iBooks, Play Books, an Kindle synchronize across devices (I just got an iPhone 6s Plus which is big enough to use when I don't have my iPad around). I don't do audiobooks.

Unless I find a fix, I will be back to two synchronized e-readers. (plus some non-synchronized e-readers)

miamistax

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2016
Started happening for me with iOS9. I'm constantly setting bookmarks in feverish paranoia, but as they say, is it really paranoia if they're actually out to get you? All too often, when reading is interrupted by another app or just switching apps, returning to the book will all too often result in iBooks resetting to the book's splash page. This is really annoying.

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
I have an iPad Air and am running iOS 9.2.1. Most of my books are in the Kindle app, but I'd heard that iBooks has gotten better, so have put a few titles in there to read.

Am having no trouble at all with the bookmarks. Or anything else, actually.

I did find if I'm closing the particular book, it will take me back to the title page, (is this what you mean by Splash page?) but to get back to my bookmark, I just need to tap the word
Resume which is in the upper left hand corner next to the word Library. This takes me back to my bookmarked page.

Tamilynn

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2016
Yes, it happens to me all the time. So when I want to save my place, I bookmark, and highlight a couple words which makes it a "note". That way I can also find it located in my notes. But, I really wish there was a way to fix the issue, it's very frustrating!

jfbosch

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2017
This has started happening to me in the last 2 weeks.
I have been using iBooks for years.
Now suddenly, it resets often to page 1 of any book I was reading when I open iBooks again.
This wasn't after an iOS update or anything.
I have been on iOS 10.3.2 since it came out.
Very frustrating.
And I'm blind, so the bookmarks workaround is not really a workaround for me.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Did the bookmark experience change on the iPhone recently with newly downloaded books?

On iPhone.
I have a bunch of books none of them exhibit this bookmark behavior except the Harry Potter books.
Normally when setting a bookmark, I would just tap the bookmark icon and it would turn red. Then to access the list of bookmarks I would tap the icon with the 3 lines and go to the Bookmarks tab.

With the Potter books, when tapping the bookmark icon a screen pops up and the list of bookmarks along with some text "+ add bookmark" Apparently this is the only way to do it.
Also the list of existing book marks is listed there as well. So to access the list you press the bookmark icon (which if already selected red, will clear it).

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I use ibooks all the time. Been reading same book every morning for past week on my gen 2 12.9" ipp, no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.