Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
N

nowisthetime

Original poster
Hello,

I am trying to register my new Imac and cannot get past the Password screen. I would very much like to be able to bypass the Password Login but it will not let me ignore the Password box. Is there anyway to get right to the desktop without a password?

I did not receive any Recovery Discs or Operating Instructions Discs of any kind. I

Also, this screen called Select Your Wi-Fi Network, if I am connecting wirelessly, do I need to connect an ethernet cable? Or is the one power cord all I need to connect?

I am so confused with all this as I am switching from windows to Imac and am not computer saavy.I cannot call a store for help as I bought it from Amazon.

Will someone please direct me?

Thank you in advance,
Mary

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.
Hello,

I am trying to register my new Imac and cannot get past the Password screen. I would very much like to be able to bypass the Password Login but it will not let me ignore the Password box. Is there anyway to get right to the desktop without a password?

I did not receive any Recovery Discs or Operating Instructions Discs of any kind. I

Also, this screen called Select Your Wi-Fi Network, if I am connecting wirelessly, do I need to connect an ethernet cable? Or is the one power cord all I need to connect?

I am so confused with all this as I am switching from windows to Imac and am not computer saavy.I cannot call a store for help as I bought it from Amazon.

Thank you in advance,
Mary

Hi I stumbled across this online after doing a search, it may help?
http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/10/forgot-mac-password-how-to-reset-mac-password/

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
Mary

Sounds to me like you are in the initial setup of the iMac. You have to enter a password there. Write it down. Once you get past the initial setup, the computer will boot straight to the desktop, but you'll need that password to install apps and make other kinds of changes.

If you are using wireless, you don't need an ethernet cable.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less

Hi Mary,

even though you bought your new Mac on Amazon (so did I), you still get 90 days complimentary Apple technical telephone support and one-year limited warranty --so you can call Apple for support, or if need be, you can make an appointment and bring it in to an Apple Store for help setting it up (transferring stuff from your previous computer) for free. :)

(---And you can get Apple Care to extend it for 3 years total.)

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
Hi Mary,

even though you bought your new Mac on Amazon (so did I), you still get 90 days complimentary Apple technical telephone support and one-year limited warranty --so you can call Apple for support, or if need be, you can make an appointment and bring it in to an Apple Store for help setting it up (transferring stuff from your previous computer) for free. :)

Yes. This person is correct. You get 90 days of phone support to AppleCare

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.
Hi Mary,

The way I read this she got it second hand off Amazon (because she didn't receive or disks etc?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
The way I read this she got it second hand off Amazon (because she didn't receive or disks etc?

Bear is correct, the Lion Macs ship with no discs. So I didn't read it as a second-hand purchase either.

I think that is part of the OP's confusion, especially as she is transferring from a Windows machine: only ONE cord, no discs, tiny booklets. (And simple wifi set-up.) All of that blew my brother away when he got a Mac last year, but then he's an engineer --he expects layers of complication. :rolleyes:

----------

Yes. This person is correct. You get 90 days of phone support to AppleCare

And with Apple Care, the phone support is 3 years.

N

nowisthetime

Original poster
After I posted I called Apple Care and after explaining to them that I wanted to register without having to have a login password, he had me enter one each time the password boxes came up, which was several times, assuring me that at the end he would fix it so that I wouldn't have to use a password. When it didn't turn out that way he just told me to call my email server which is Charter and have them fix it. Now i'm worse off than before because I not only have to enter a password to logon, but also to enter my email, which doesn't even work when I get in there. So I went back to my pc email and I couldn't believe that it was now exactly the same problem! I never had to enter a pw before but I do now. And, for some reason, I am not getting any more email to my pc. I was just about on the verge when I called another help number and got something called Yogi Care. I didn't realize until talking to them for some length of time that they were a remote system and would take over my computer and configure everything for me if I purchased a plan for 399.00 for three years. After all the time I wasted with that I was really ready to return this computer as it was just too complicated for me to set up and get everything working, and I now had more problems than when I started.
Has anyone used the this Remote System and do you think it would be a good way to go?

Apple offers the 3 year plan also for that price, but it is all through the phone, whereas this other company takes over the computer and configures everything for you remotely and you really don't have to do anything.

I bought this machine new from Amazon, not second hand. Only rec'd 3 things, power cord, keyboard and mouse.

Thank you to those who answered my first questions,
Mary

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Hi Mary,

Don't give up. We can likely help you. The Mac is NOT complicated. It is very simple to set and use. The problem here is you. You are trying to do things incorrectly. You MUST have a password. This isn't a login password so much as it is an administrator password. OS X requires you to enter your admin password when the computer wants to do something important (install software or updates). This is what helps make OS X secure. You will NOT be entering your password all the time to login. You will NOT have to enter your password all the time to check your email. It will remember. Just follow the instructions and the computer will walk you through it.

N

nowisthetime

Original poster
Sorry to have to disagree with you dangerfish, but I am REQUIRED to enter a password to logon. The worst part is that after typing in the CORRECT password, it is not accepted. The box turns blue and wiggles and that's it. This happens evertime I want to logon.

I'm trying to get through to Apple Care right now to ask for help to undo the help I got yesterday.

Hi Mary,

Don't give up. We can likely help you. The Mac is NOT complicated. It is very simple to set and use. The problem here is you. You are trying to do things incorrectly. You MUST have a password. This isn't a login password so much as it is an administrator password. OS X requires you to enter your admin password when the computer wants to do something important (install software or updates). This is what helps make OS X secure. You will NOT be entering your password all the time to login. You will NOT have to enter your password all the time to check your email. It will remember. Just follow the instructions and the computer will walk you through it.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Mary,

You need to change a setting to make it so that you don't have to enter your password. You need to turn automatic login on and you won't have to input your password anymore. Same thing with email; you will tell it to remember your password.
But you need to get into your computer first before you can do any of that.
If you are getting the wiggly box, then you are inputting the wrong password. I know you think you are putting in the correct password, but at some point yesterday when you were putting in all the passwords when you were on the phone with Apple Care, you put in a different admin password. You may have misspelled it the first time you put it in or maybe you have the capitalization incorrect but the truth is that you are now trying to input something different than you originally did.
You need to get Apple Care to help you start over from scratch. Set up the account from the beginning. Write down your password and keep it safe. Once you get into your account, you can set it so that yo don't need to input the password to login.

You can find the answer to most everything you want to do with a simple Google search. Keep your search terms simple when searching.
Lion automatic login

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
N

nowisthetime

Original poster
razorhog, dangerfish, others

I got help from Apple and they were able to reset my logon password so that it is now automatic; so relieved that's over. He was really helping me when my phone died and couldn't get him back. I think you're only allowed one call per day on the 3 months free service so I'll have to wait for more help.

I am thinking about the Apple Care for 3 years but wondering if it would be the same from Amazon? It is 164.00 as opposed to 399.00. Is it the same ? Should I wait until the 90 days free care is up?

I would like to ask though if I should network my pc to the iMac. One is wired, the other wireless. Does this cause problems, esp. since the email address the same? Seems like all the email is going to the pc instead of the iMac now even though it's set up in iMac.

Thanks,
Mary

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Apple sells Apple Care for many of their products and the price is different for all of them. It might be a little cheaper on Amazon, but I doubt the $164 version is for your iMac.
You can certainly network your PC and Mac if you have a reason to. It should even be automatic. Open a Finder window and if your PC is on the same network, you should see it there under "Shared". You just need to click it and enter your credentials to log in.
If your Mac is not receiving email then something is probably set up incorrectly. Do you know if your email is Pop or IMAP?

----------

I stand corrected. Amazon does appear to sell Apple Care for much less.
http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...J2KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335546280&sr=8-1

This is a steal.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Apple sells Apple Care for many of their products and the price is different for all of them. It might be a little cheaper on Amazon, but I doubt the $164 version is for your iMac.
You can certainly network your PC and Mac if you have a reason to. It should even be automatic. Open a Finder window and if your PC is on the same network, you should see it there under "Shared". You just need to click it and enter your credentials to log in.
If your Mac is not receiving email then something is probably set up incorrectly. Do you know if your email is Pop or IMAP?

----------

I stand corrected. Amazon does appear to sell Apple Care for much less.
http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Pro...J2KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335546280&sr=8-1

This is a steal.

AppleCare for iMacs retails $169USD Amazon is a deal, $5 off sans Tax as well.

If networking the PC & Mac together, ensure the PC has the proper settings in place to allow connections through any of the installed firewalls. And the iMac has File Sharing enabled as well.

N

nowisthetime

Original poster
All,

I went to Apple store today and purchased the wired keyboard but not mouse although I really wanted it but ratings were not very good for it on Amazon.
Also bought the 3 yr AppleCare plan for 164.00. They were selling it for 169.00 but I asked them to match Amazon's price and they did. Still had to pay tax though that I would have saved from Amazon.
Got caught up in the fever of the store and impulsively bought an iPad 2. Don't know if I'll keep it .:eek: Mary

ps wish I knew how to bookmark websites to my desktop to make it convenient to go to them. Still trying to make the pc to iMac switch.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Mary! DONT DO IT!
You are not allowed to clutter you desktop with hundreds of shortcuts! That's the Windows way. There really is no reason to do that. Learn to use Spotlight. You can use it to launch any application, find documents, contacts, photos, emails and even launch a song from iTunes. All without cluttering up your gorgeous screen real estate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLsernrD5Y

But if you truly must have a shortcut to a website on your desktop, all you have to do is drag it there from the URL bar. We may stop helping you though. :)

Attachments

• Desktop-Trek[3].jpg
    Desktop-Trek[3].jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 127

Jxnhole

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Just found this site looking for an answer to the same question. I am setting a clients computer who didn't want the password either. While it's true that you have to put in a password setting up the machine, you don't have to live with it. After the set up is complete click on the apple icon on the top left of your screen. Go to system preferences. Go to users and groups. At the bottom left of the box that pops up click on the padlock to unlock. It will ask for the password you created to unlock the users. From their click on the user you created in setting up the computer and then click change password. You will then enter your old password (for the last time, I promise) and leave the two fields for your new password empty. Click save and you will never have to enter your user password again. At times in the future, for purposes of installing software or other similar changes when you are asked for a password, leave it blank and just hit enter.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Hi Mary,

I just received my 27" iMac from Amazon on Wednesday and had to call Apple support about a Wifi issue. The Apple support site told me that my complimentary 90-day support had expired. The person from Apple was nice, explained this occurs sometimes when you purchase from a third party and corrected the start date on the iMac. I've always had good luck with Apple support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.