Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since taking the helm of department store chain J.C. Penney last November, former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson has rebuilt much of his new company's executive team, in many cases bringing in associates he had worked with at Apple or in his earlier stint at Target. Until now, Johnson appears to have avoided tapping Apple's staff directly, bringing in Apple veterans who had already left the company for other jobs.

But as announced in a J.C. Penney press release today, Johnson has expanded his executive team again, this time hiring Ben Fay, a key member of Apple's retail store design team to help lead the next-generation of department store designs.
"Ben is an incredibly creative professional with extraordinary leadership skills. Having worked with him over the last 12 years, I am delighted to see Ben step into this new role at jcp," said Johnson. "His design influence has made the Apple stores highly regarded retail destinations around the world, and I am excited to have Ben place his own mark on jcp as we re-imagine the jcpenney store of the future."
According to his LinkedIn profile, Fay spent eight years as a senior director at Apple, overseeing retail store and corporate office design. Prior to arriving at Apple itself, he spent four years at architecture firm Gensler, where he focused on Apple's retail projects. With that résumé, Fay clearly played a key role in the development of the Apple retail store concept alongside Johnson and other members of the team.

apple_store_amsterdam_staircase.jpg

Interior of Apple's Amsterdam retail store
Fay's move to J.C. Penney comes just as former Dixons Retail CEO John Browett begins work at Apple as Johnson's replacement. Browett was named Apple's senior vice president of retail in January, but did not officially start with the company until last week.

Browett brings an international flavor to Apple's retail effort, with international stores having been an increasing focus for Apple in recent years, a trend that is expected to continue as Apple works to expand its global reach. The company has also been placing emphasis on larger, iconic stores to help promote the company's brand while providing more space to serve the growing number of Apple customers.

Article Link: J.C. Penney Hires Key Apple Executive from Retail Store Design Team

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I really don't like that store look, it's too bright, white everywhere. It's just so.....bland.

I really like the Apple Stores where they have a Brick Wall, Wooden floors, at least some colour differentiation. Those types of stores have character.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I really don't like that store look, it's too bright, white everywhere. It's just so.....bland.

I really like the Apple Stores where they have a Brick Wall, Wooden floors, at least some colour differentiation. Those types of stores have character.

no.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
JC Penney can remodel all their stores and they will still stink. Their merchandise is the problem, not necessarily their stores.

Why do they think people flock to apple stores - its not for the pretty stairways, its the merchandise :D

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Apple Stores are continuously successful because they're not stores. They're experiences. Where you then just happen to be able to buy stuff.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

From an aesthetic point of view, you may be right (different tastes and all that). From a brand identification perspective, it really does the job.

For better or worse, there are not too many other places that look like Apple Stores. You always know it's an Apple Store. Bricks and wood, etc. may be warmer, and to your eye, more pleasing, but a lot pf places look like that.

As I said...you always know it's an Apple Store, and that is great for brand identification. :D

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
From an aesthetic point of view, you may be right (different tastes and all that). From a brand identification perspective, it really does the job.

For better or worse, there are not too many other places that look like Apple Stores. You always know it's an Apple Store. Bricks and wood, etc. may be warmer, and to your eye, more pleasing, but a lot pf places look like that.

As I said...you always know it's an Apple Store, and that is great for brand identification. :D

Every Apple Store I've been to has white walls yes, but sometimes they may have a Brick wall, which really catches the eye, warm wooden floors, something about this store just seems so cold and sterile, boring even, it's like the designer ran out of ideas and said "Make EVERYTHING White"

Last edited:

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Apple Stores are continuously successful because they're not stores. They're experiences. Where you then just happen to be able to buy stuff.

But how many stores are like the one shown? There are three Apple Stores in Orlando and they are all just another store in a mall. Sure they have a distinctive glass front which differentiates them from other retailers, but otherwise there is nothing of an "experience".

As for me, when I go to an Apple store I am looking to get in, get what I need, and get out. An "experience", no thanks.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Welcome in the future of apple retail, the guy will get 60mil btw:

browett_1942352b.jpg

----------

But how many stores are like the one shown? There are three Apple Stores in Orlando and they are all just another store in a mall. Sure they have a distinctive glass front which differentiates them from other retailers, but otherwise there is nothing of an "experience".

As for me, when I go to an Apple store I am looking to get in, get what I need, and get out. An "experience", no thanks.

The experience will be of them getting more of your money by trapping you in that glass wood and blue people illusory space. In and out quickly is the only way. :)

rajid

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
How do they keep that glass clean?

I wonder how they keep that much glass clean. Maybe it's part of someone's job description to clean it after the store closes every day? To reach the upper parts on the outside, you'd have to use a cleaner on a pole and it can't be a straight one like they use for cleaning windows; it would have to be curved. I'd just like to see an article about how they keep it clean.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I wonder how they keep that much glass clean. Maybe it's part of someone's job description to clean it after the store closes every day? To reach the upper parts on the outside, you'd have to use a cleaner on a pole and it can't be a straight one like they use for cleaning windows; it would have to be curved. I'd just like to see an article about how they keep it clean.

In the same way we keep every glass clean, and someone works his ass off, no big mystery really...

SteveJobsUK

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012

You know what, it'd be a great idea to have someone who's paid just to clean. What a revolutionary idea.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The inside of the Amsterdam store is so… white! I think my eyes would get tired after spending not even ten minutes in there. Give me some colors!

I know I'll probably get down voted for this but here goes: I went into a Microsoft store a few months ago just to see what it was like. The store itself (not the products) was actually cooler than the Apple store nearby. They had a bunch of monitors lined up around the whole store so it looked like one long thing that showed MS products and whatever and had an area with a big, maybe 100"+ screen for playing xBox. The whole thing was pretty cool, I have to say. Apple could actually learn a lot from it and make it even cooler.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

They wouldn't have to clean the upper/outside portion of glass. No one, other than Yao Ming, could reach it anyways. Just clean it once a month and your good. As for the need for a curved squeegee, just use a cloth and some elbow grease. It's not that hard.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
...it's like the designer ran out of ideas ..."

a bit off topic, but curious....is that your pic? i thought it was a marathon runner from New York. He is a good looking guy, the ladies seemed impressed. Your post seemed adamant about being unique, but it's a great idea to use his pics if nothing else comes to mind ( I guess :confused: )

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Yes they do, but not this one.

Yes it does; there are original brick walls, the ceilings are restored, original metalwork made by blacksmith. The photo is overly bright and is taken in an angle that doesn't show all detail. Visit Amsterdam sometime.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yes it does; there are original brick walls, the ceilings are restored, original metalwork made by blacksmith. The photo is overly bright and is taken in an angle that doesn't show all detail. Visit Amsterdam sometime.

I have been to Amsterdam, twice. Just not the Apple Store. I can't see them in the picture, just floor to ceiling white.

a bit off topic, but curious....is that your pic? i thought it was a marathon runner from New York. He is a good looking guy, the ladies seemed impressed. Your post seemed adamant about being unique, but it's a great idea to use his pics if nothing else comes to mind ( I guess :confused: )

Yes it's not my picture, you'll find that most people on the forum don't use a picture of themselves. And no my argument wasn't about looking unique. It was about that store looking so cold and sterile, when every other Apple Store I've been to has been warm and welcoming, with different colours and textures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.