Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newkidstable.jpg

Apple has replaced the iMacs that were previously on the kids' table at its retail stores with iPads, as first noticed by iMore. The switch is a clear sign of the direction the company is going, particularly with regards to its younger customer base.

The kids' table has been a staple of the Apple Retail Store since it the first locations opened more than 10 years ago. The original tables featured CRT iMacs surrounded by black balls from the Baleri Italia company for children to sit on. Apple, as is typical, spares no expense when it comes to its retail stores -- the chairs cost more than $500 each.

Over the years, as the iMacs themselves have been updated, Apple has replaced the machines with newer models, but this is the first time that a product other than a Mac has been featured.

oldkidstable.jpg

(Image of old kids table courtesy Flickr/Ralph and Jenny)

Article Link: Apple Stores Replace Kids' Table iMacs With iPads

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Yeah I noticed this yesterday as I was getting my phone swapped out. No one was using them.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Just what we need. I am in my mid 20s and my IT education was primarily word processing and office applications. I pity those kids these days who won't even get the level I got, and instead spend their time consuming videos and pictures on these devices.

The goal of teaching kids how to code (as IT classes in schools should be) seems further and further away with each story like this :(

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The iPads are cheaper to replace then the iMacs I'm sure. :p No breaking of keyboards or mice either!

Either way it makes sense on a few levels. Get them hooked on an iPad early! ;) Plus there's a ton of educational software and books on the iPad, not to mention games. But it is sad to see the Macs go. I remember seeing G3 iMacs, eMacs, and of course G5 & Intel iMacs in the kids corner.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Lol

Good call though since my little ones head the way of the iPads anyways since they can't use mine at home :)

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Just what we need. I am in my mid 20s and my IT education was primarily word processing and office applications. I pity those kids these days who won't even get the level I got, and instead spend their time consuming videos and pictures on these devices.

The goal of teaching kids how to code (as IT classes in schools should be) seems further and further away with each story like this :(

I'm pretty sure kids who want an IT education won't be stopped by the iPad.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It makes sense. Apple is pushing textbooks on the iPad. Plus, an iPad is more durable and affordable than their portable Macs, so I'm guessing they want to encourage the idea of parents purchasing iPads for their children.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Why would everybody learn how to code?
Do doctors have to know how to code?
Do cab drivers have to know how to code?
Etc.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
While I must confess that I prefer the Apple Computer of the 2001-2007 era to the modern Apple Inc with its gradual shift to all things iOS, I must say that my 5 and 2 year old sons much prefer using my iPad to sitting in front of the iMac. My 5 year old has learned to read using my iPad from the ABC apps to the Ruckus Reader apps, it feels to me like tablet learning has a secure place in society going forward.

OdinPoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
My goodness what I wouldn't give for at least one semi-substantial iMac rumor...

This does seem like a good move, the iPad tends to be a more intuitive experience from what I've seen with my own kids.

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
This is a good move in some respects, but IMO Apple is once again forcing change too soon.

It makes sense to have iPads at the kids table. Kids take to iPads very easily, and tablets are the future of the home PC. But it isn't certain yet that tablets are the future of the workplace PC. I think it would benefit children to be exposed to both tablets and PCs.

My own daughter loves to use my iPad. At just 6 years old, she navigates it just fine. She knows where all of her apps are and how to use them. She navigates Netflix like a true American. :) But you'd better believe that I'm exposing her to more traditional PCs as well.

On a side note, my daughter started Kindergarden this year. I was delighted to see two eMacs in her classroom. I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s, we always used Apple computers in schoool. It's good to see some things haven't changed.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Which is why all console game systems died out in the 1990's...because kids who grew up playing SNES and Genisis couldn't program on it none of them grew up to be video game designers.

That is what happened, isn't it? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I believe it is a marketing plan. I don't think many people will buy their little kid an iMac? But they sure might but them an iPad.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Why would everybody learn how to code?
Do doctors have to know how to code?
Do cab drivers have to know how to code?
Etc.

I think the concern here is the potential creation of a generation of media consumers who barely know how to read, write, solve equations, etc... With parents who use their iDevices as mere babysitting tools with all the games available on iOS, it certainly seems like a valid concern.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Those lil' kids on those iMacs in the second picture...

remember going in the apple store when i was 10 to play lego indiana jones on those things, aaaw! :D

Perfect example of what the average kid does with an Apple device in a store. Play. And that's what they should do. Play. If parents want them to code they can take their children over to a Mac. Otherwise kids will be kids and play and what better thing to play with than an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.