Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Some game titles new to the Mac were originally released as many as 6 years ago.

Quake 4 was originally released for both the Mac and PC 6 years ago (granted, the Mac version came 6 months after the PC version.) Quake 4 was only just released for the Mac App Store a few weeks ago.

So, no, Quake 4 wasn't new to the Mac. It was new to the Mac App Store.

(For those not seeing the relevance between what I'm saying and what I'm quoting, note that the article links to "Quake 4, Complete with Cross-Platform Multiplayer, Arrives on the Mac App Store".)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
wow, thats loads of not supported graphics cards:confused: .........from most macs owned! :mad:

So, TODAY no Apple laptop can run that game. Given the upgrade cycles on this type of machine few laptop users will be able to enjoy this title even in the future. I am not complaining that it does not run on my late 2008 MacBook Pro. But I am complaining that it does not run on ANY 13" model that you can buy TODAY.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and it has Radeon HD 6750M
Heck, even my previous 2007 MacBook Pro has NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Both are not excluded and should work with the game.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
lol I hope so, integrated graphics will always be behind the curve

No ****. Integrated graphics cards will always have huge disadvantage over dedicated cards.

But that doesn't mean that integrated cards will continue to improve and eventually dedicated cards will not be needed.

Seriously people, the 13inch MBP and the MBAs the most sold laptops in the US and probably other countries, and the majority of other mainstream PC laptops, used to be able to play very few games, now they will be able to play almost al games, of course not as well as a dedicated card. but this will greatly improve PC gaming since millions of more people will have a computers that can play more pc games, and now ALL Mac computers will have the Power necessary to play almost all games. This IS A GOOD thing! Personally, I will still be buying a dedicated card in my laptops, but for developers, consumers, casual gamers, hard core gamers, windows users, and mac users. Intel HD 4000 is great step in the right direction! I am looking forward to 2013.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Great game! Played it about half way through on Bootcamp via Steam, but just had to start again when the Mac version was released by Feral.
2 things:
1) I would advise against downloading from MAS as whenever there is a patch (however small) you have to re-download the whole 16Gb!!! Get it from Feral direct, and then you can apply the patch quickly when it's released.
2) my Magic Trackpad doesn't work in-game. It's fine in menus, etc. but I have to use my Magic Mouse in-game. A bit annoying. Anyone else got the Magic Trackpad working?

harryhood

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Just downloaded it and my mouse won't work in the game period.. its just a logitech anywhere MX mouse.. I can pan the screen but no clicks work.. wtf?

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
1) I would advise against downloading from MAS as whenever there is a patch (however small) you have to re-download the whole 16Gb!!! Get it from Feral direct, and then you can apply the patch quickly when it's released.

The MAS switched to incremental updates a couple of months ago.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Downloading now from Mac App Store:cool:

----------

So, TODAY no Apple laptop can run that game. Given the upgrade cycles on this type of machine few laptop users will be able to enjoy this title even in the future. I am not complaining that it does not run on my late 2008 MacBook Pro. But I am complaining that it does not run on ANY 13" model that you can buy TODAY.

The game is playable on HD3000 too but it can be little snow in some areas. Feral says HD3000 is not supported because performance for this game are not optimal but it works and it is playable.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Top of the line MBPro(s) have discreet graphic cards so they're fine.

I for one will have to wait for a refresh to get to play this game (the first one was amazing at the time)

Mine has a discreet card but I'll never use it since it requires me to pretty much reboot the machine to switch it on (which now takes ages on Lion), and you then have to switch it back off when you're done playing… It also makes the machine sound like a jet engine and overheats within an hour. And it barely makes a difference in performance, some things actually run slower on it (like Photoshop). A pointless feature that I regret paying loads of money for!

Integrated graphics should be supported, even if it requires you to switch down the game resolution and turn off fancy graphics like water reflections or whatever. It's something other games have been doing for ages, such as the Half-Life series, which runs decently on a 10 year old PC with a 4MB graphics card if you turn all the settings to minimum.

It's just that most companies are lazy and just port their games with automatic software, and then their game eats 10 times more resources than it should… But they don't care, since they have contracts with PC manufacturers who pay them to bring out games with higher hardware requirements anyway.

The sad thing is no matter how awesome a machine you buy today, in 2 years it will not be able to run anything new decently, and it's not because software is evolving so fast, it's because companies don't care about optimising their code, it's not in their interest!

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
my Magic Trackpad doesn't work in-game. It's fine in menus, etc. but I have to use my Magic Mouse in-game. A bit annoying. Anyone else got the Magic Trackpad working?

Why do you want to play an FPS with the Magic Trackpad? That is the incorrect way to do it.

Anyway, I hate Feral for not making their releases Steamplay enabled. I already own DXHR on Steam, not to mention a ton of other games like Batman Arkham Asylum. Ugh.

Also Bastion is out today as well. If you haven't played that yet you should get it, it's amazing. Needs a gamepad though.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Why do you want to play an FPS with the Magic Trackpad? That is the incorrect way to do it.
Says who? I always use the Magic Trackpad on FPSs.
Have you tried it?

----------

The MAS switched to incremental updates a couple of months ago.
Not in my experience it didn't.
Feral confirmed to me today that the upcoming patch will be the full 16Gb download from MAS, but only 1Gb from other sources.

chuckiej

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2003
Now Mac Enthusiasts everywhere can be disappointed by the ending! ;)

LOL. It's a prequel. If anything they gave too much choice at the end of the game and some endings are non-canon.

I thought it was excellent. Xbox 360 Day 1 purchase. They have an eBook in the game about Deep Brain Stimulation (a surgery my bosses perform) and got the facts right, including that there are two potential brain targets for Parkinson's therapy that the docs choose from depending on patient state.

Definite recommendation.

chuckiej

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2003
Mine has a discreet card but I'll never use it since it requires me to pretty much reboot the machine to switch it on (which now takes ages on Lion), and you then have to switch it back off when you're done playing… It also makes the machine sound like a jet engine and overheats within an hour. And it barely makes a difference in performance, some things actually run slower on it (like Photoshop). A pointless feature that I regret paying loads of money for!

Sounds like you have something running that shouldn't be. Yes it runs hot in certain games and FCPX. But other than that the discrete graphics should be barely used. I have excellent battery life until Flash activates or I use one of the above apps.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
You'd think as a prequel game it would need less computing and graphical power than the original Deus Ex.......

In all seriousness if this game can run on the out dated hardware in a 360 then there is no reason why it should run on any Mac that is made after 2007.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Not in my experience it didn't.
Feral confirmed to me today that the upcoming patch will be the full 16Gb download from MAS, but only 1Gb from other sources.

It did for me. I can confirm as I downloaded the update for Rage a few days ago and it only weighed in a few hundred MBs. I also had thought that the MAS would behave like the iOS App store but it didn't for Rage. Sweet, I'd say! :D

NeedMoreVideo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011

My macbook pro has an AMD Radeon HD 6750M in it (early 2011). It appears to be supported.

Are you complaining that only 13" macbooks are not supported? Integrated graphics are not for games. Did you think your machine could play games when you bought it?

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
My macbook pro has an AMD Radeon HD 6750M in it (early 2011). It appears to be supported.

Are you complaining that only 13" macbooks are not supported? Integrated graphics are not for games. Did you think your machine could play games when you bought it?

He doesn't seem to think the 15" MBP and 17" MBP are Apple laptops.

According to him, the 13" is the ONLY Apple laptop. lol

harryhood

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Anyone think its possible to run this on an unsupported graphics card by turning off certain settings or anything like that?

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
I'll try it for sure, loved the original one in OS 9!

With Serious Sam 3 & Darkness 2 on Steam for mac this week, my credit card bill is going up!

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and it has Radeon HD 6750M
Heck, even my previous 2007 MacBook Pro has NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Both are not excluded and should work with the game.

It ran just fine on my late 2008 MBP under Windows XP/Boot Camp (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT). Unfortunately, that may not be a guarantee for the Mac version...

agmaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
This game is AMAZING. Have it for Xbox and I would say since it includes every DLC that has been made for the game $49 is a reasonable price to ask for. Pretty sure my 2007 MBP with the infamous 8600m GT would not come close to running this. For those of you without a console you should get this if you can run it.

----------

He doesn't seem to think the 15" MBP and 17" MBP are Apple laptops.

According to him, the 13" is the ONLY Apple laptop. lol

No, he is actually saying that the 13" MBP is worthless when it comes to gaming because it does not have a discrete video card like the 15" and 17" MBP.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Works perfectly if you lower the resolution. I have tried it on two macs with different unsupported graphics cards. No issues. Full resolution, it lags though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.