Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I called applecare and set up to have a replacement iPad sent to me since the closest apple store is 3+ hours away from me.

Mailed in my iPad and Friday and yesterday received an e-mail saying basically they found nothing wrong with it and overnighted it back to me.

So here I am with my same iPad again. Still looks yellow to me and way yellow compared to my roomates iPad 3rd gen (his is verizon LTE, mine is just wifi)

:confused:

oh well

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
OP have you tried shopping in person at a best buy,target or Walmart maybe? I rather buy from apple as well but in your case maybe this might be a better way to go

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
OP have you tried shopping in person at a best buy,target or Walmart maybe? I rather buy from apple as well but in your case maybe this might be a better way to go

How would that help now? To me, it sounds like the OP already has one.

OP: Same thing happened to me. My screen was pretty damn yellow and Apple sent it right back. I then made an appointment and the Genius was actually surprised Apple didn't replace it. He replaced it and I was on my way. I know it's 3 hours away but if the screen is that bad, it may be worth it.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
How would that help now? To me, it sounds like the OP already has one.

OP: Same thing happened to me. My screen was pretty damn yellow and Apple sent it right back. I then made an appointment and the Genius was actually surprised Apple didn't replace it. He replaced it and I was on my way. I know it's 3 hours away but if the screen is that bad, it may be worth it.

The OP does have one,another yellow one and he is not happy. So return that one and open one up in public at a best buy..not a hard concept to understand

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Yes OP, stick to reading something more realistic, like a Spiderman comic book.

Epic + 1

----------

I called applecare and set up to have a replacement iPad sent to me since the closest apple store is 3+ hours away from me.

Mailed in my iPad and Friday and yesterday received an e-mail saying basically they found nothing wrong with it and overnighted it back to me.

So here I am with my same iPad again. Still looks yellow to me and way yellow compared to my roomates iPad 3rd gen (his is verizon LTE, mine is just wifi)

oh well

If you have AppleCare + then smash the thing into pieces and resend it back then ask if it's defected

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
The OP does have one,another yellow one and he is not happy. So return that one and open one up in public at a best buy..not a hard concept to understand

I doubt the OP is still within their 14 day return window to Apple. If they are, your comment would work. If not, replacing it through AppleCare is their only option.

If the OP was within their 14 day window, I'm pretty sure they would have returned it and not opted to call AppleCare to have a replacement sent out.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I am on my 3rd iPad and extensively went over it with the genius, it looked great in the store due to bright lights. It was a different story at home, this half yellow screen is just plain annoying , am I going to return it...no so I can get the exact same issu as the other two. I am taking this to the highest level of AppleCare and not spending another millisecond of my time or a millimeter of my gas to get something I should have had all along....a damn uniformed screen!

At this point I don't care if I get a piss yellow, pink,orange,blue,black,purple or red screen, I just want a damn uniform screen is that too much to ask????

Giov

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
I am on my 3rd iPad and extensively went over it with the genius, it looked great in the store due to bright lights. It was a different story at home, this half yellow screen is just plain annoying , am I going to return it...no so I can get the exact same issu as the other two. I am taking this to the highest level of AppleCare and not spending another millisecond of my time or a millimeter of my gas to get something I should have had all along....a damn uniformed screen!

At this point I don't care if I get a piss yellow, pink,orange,blue,black,purple or red screen, I just want a damn uniform screen is that too much to ask????

I'm with you for this. Pls do that. Apple has to star hiring better qc staffs!

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
I'm with you for this. Pls do that. Apple has to star hiring better qc staffs!

Apple's QC staff is finding this screen to be acceptable and with in tollerances. It is why they sent the OP's iPad back.

None of them are perfect and vary from one unit to another. Apple can not make everyone happy.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

oh well

Apple mentioned a wider gamut on this one compared to prior ipads. I have to wonder how wide they went and how they're setting the levels at the factory. Anyway.. there will always be some level of tolerance. As you migrate to tighter levels of tolerance, your costs go up exponentially. The comparison between devices doesn't really hold weight without something of a reference grade tolerance. Especially with the older cinema displays (the aluminum ones, I haven't done this with the newer ones), if you put three of them side by side, none would match.

Anyway it shouldn't look yellow to you on its own, so that suggests a problem as in your normal environment it's outside of the range where your brain tends to compensate. I guess you could try a colorimeter, but I never had good results with Datacolor. Are you outside of the return date?

Assuming it's a fairly uniform cast, the issue is unlikely to be one of panel manufacturing, as even the best panels are adjusted at a software level, and all displays naturally drift over time. I am guessing that at the Foxconn stage, they need a better system for testing and setting the levels. It's possible that their equipment isn't tuned or suitable for the wider gamuts, or that they require more warmup time. Obviously this is just speculation, but I would imagine that this will improve over time.

Apple's QC staff is finding this screen to be acceptable and with in tollerances. It is why they sent the OP's iPad back.

None of them are perfect and vary from one unit to another. Apple can not make everyone happy.

I agree with you here. In the past I've found that on displays, OEMs and manufacturers assign some interesting ideas to what can be considered within acceptable tolerance, so I sympathize with the OP somewhat. It's just that sometimes on such a product transition, testing methods lag behind somewhat. Wider gamuts can also be more difficult to control. You might note that Apple has stuck to an sRGB type gamut for their thunderbolt display. If only they hadn't gone to half baked trash LED:mad:.

Edit: I should explain that. The LED thing has annoyed me for a long time as it messes with the color somewhat. Most people don't notice this because their eyes compensate to believe that it looks correct, but CCFL and a couple adjustments on available backlight brightness scale would have been superior for a lot of their customers.

Slickdilla

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012

Gas volume is not measured by distance, genius.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
I'm on my one and only iPad3, and at times it looks yellow, and other times perfectly white. I got used to whatever it really is, and chalk it up as the nature of this (Retina) technology.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

Totally agree with you.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I just dont see how its possible that it looked different in the store than home.

People all over this site have said that they can see these screen issues on the display models in the store.

----------

It would be easier if Apple would just release an APP to allow the screen to be configured/adjusted.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I just dont see how its possible that it looked different in the store than home.

People all over this site have said that they can see these screen issues on the display models in the store.

----------

It would be easier if Apple would just release an APP to allow the screen to be configured/adjusted.

Good question ...but I didn't sit in the store and start reading, I should have tho but to be honest it just seems to be getting worse. It has gone from yellow to now pink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.