Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Samsungs Ad Campaign sinks to a new low.

Quote:
We know Samsung has an unhealthy obsession with Apple, but this is getting a little weird. This week in Australia, Samsung hired a marketing agency called Tongue to conduct some kind of guerrilla marketing campaign where they sent a bus of protesters to an Apple store and taunted people with the message “WAKE UP.” Check out the video below and let us know what you think.

Video

Source

This just seems insulting, implying I have to "Wake Up" just because I like my iPhone....

Last edited by Dr McKay; Apr 26, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Dr McKay is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Love it. So simple and it seems to be spreading around the web like crazy. Good job, whoever made it happen
neiltc13 is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Stupid bit of publicity from Samsung but you should never feel insulted over a faceless corporations views on an inanimate object produced by another faceless corporation.

Life is too short to worry about such things IMO.

All they have managed to do is alienate you as a consumer I'd guess. You win that one.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
jbennardo
macrumors 6502a

Samsung recruiting sheep to hold up signs to other "sheep". Yeah, good job.
jbennardo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:22 PM   #5
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

What evidence is there that this was the work of Samsung?
neiltc13 is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Thb Samsung wouldn't get away with this everywhere. It could be classed as intimidation certainly by UK law
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

And the store was pretty much empty... And it was probably like 7AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
It seems a bit low and rather bizarre, but if it works (in terms of publicity), its a success.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

A couple of questions:

How do we know it's Samsung? Sorry if I missed something, but in the video I didn't see anything indicating Samsung

Second...what the hell does it mean. Wake up to what? Wake up from what? And what does it have to do with Apple?...if anything.

It looked like they were just starting doing whatever they were doing at the Apple Store, and then moving on to some other venue.

Basically...WTF!!??
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
A couple of questions:

How do we know it's Samsung? Sorry if I missed something, but in the video I didn't see anything indicating Samsung

Second...what the hell does it mean. Wake up to what? Wake up from what? And what does it have to do with Apple?...if anything.

It looked like they were just starting doing whatever they were doing at the Apple Store, and then moving on to some other venue.

Basically...WTF!!??
I don't know, the article I read said it was Samsung but I don't know what proof they have. Also Samsung have been poking fun at Apple fans in many of their adverts, showing us as sheep, or mindless drones. I think they mean wake up that.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:38 PM   #11
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy91 View Post
I don't know, the article I read said it was Samsung but I don't know what proof they have. Also Samsung have been poking fun at Apple fans in many of their adverts, showing us as sheep, or mindless drones. I think they mean wake up that.
Wait, you associate with the people shown in Samsung's ads ? As an Apple user, I will stand by Samsung and laugh at those "fans" of "Apple". Seriously, feeling attachment to faceless corporations is just wrong and yes, anyone that is in that mindset needs to "Wake up!".
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Wait, you associate with the people shown in Samsung's ads ? As an Apple user, I will stand by Samsung and laugh at those "fans" of "Apple". Seriously, feeling attachment to faceless corporations is just wrong and yes, anyone that is in that mindset needs to "Wake up!".
I don't associate with those, but I feels like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep and needs to "Wake up". I wouldn't automatically say I'm a fan of them, more an iPhone fan, however I'm jumping ship soon to try the Lumia 900.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:52 PM   #13
sand_man
macrumors 6502a

Incredibly weird. Looked to me like an "anti Foxconn working conditions campaign".
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I don't get this ad from Samsung? I did wake up 3 years ago and went from a Samsung phone to an iPhone and have had an iPhone ever since. I couldn't be happier.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:16 PM   #15
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
I don't associate with those, but I feels like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep and needs to "Wake up". I wouldn't automatically say I'm a fan of them, more an iPhone fan, however I'm jumping ship soon to try the Lumia 900.
I'm not a fan of anything related to electronics. That's just ludicrous in my mind.

And I don't feel like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep, only those who stand in line waiting to buy one and bash anything else on the market. And frankly, I find those people need to wake up too.

You know what they say, if the hat fits...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I'm not a fan of anything related to electronics. That's just ludicrous in my mind.

And I don't feel like Samsung thinks everyone who owns an iPhone is a sheep, only those who stand in line waiting to buy one and bash anything else on the market. And frankly, I find those people need to wake up too.

You know what they say, if the hat fits...
The Ad with the mindless drones didn't bother me at all, because I have never stood in line for anything the day before. This ad however was aimed at anyone who's been into an Apple Store. Seeing as that's what they targeted.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:49 PM   #17
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
The Ad with the mindless drones didn't bother me at all, because I have never stood in line for anything the day before. This ad however was aimed at anyone who's been into an Apple Store. Seeing as that's what they targeted.
You see in it what you want to see in it. Frankly, I loathe going to the Apple store, I find the experience there is terrible and I go only when I absolutely must, so I don't see it that way. I don't feel they are targeting me at all. All the other people who just hang out at Apple stores though, making my experience a total nightmare ? Yeah, they need to wake up and get out if they have no business there so I can conduct mine in a timely fashion.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:19 PM   #18
*LTD*
Banned

Wake up to what? Lousy software and even worse support?

We've *already* awoken to superior User Experiences, the best consumer mobile devices on the planet, and the best service in the industry.

I suppose Samsung doesn't read Consumer Satisfaction reports. All they need to do is read the tech headlines, day after day.

Even during Apple's alleged "weak quarter", they still sold 35 million iPhones, have the only tablet that actually appeals to consumers, continue to outpace the PC industry in growth, and have the entire industry in breathless expectation about what market they'll conquer next.

But Samsung will resort to anything, rip anything off, and sink as low as they need to in order to grab Apple users. But they aren't actually doing that. All they're doing is hurting other Android OEMs. Which is fine, really. Let em fight over Android.

Years ago it was all the "Windows sheep" who got roped in thanks to Microsoft's universal licensing racket. But today, it's all the Apple fans, because they have *actively chosen* Apple gear, rather than the sea of Wintel that still clogs the market. The mass demand for and satisfaction with Apple gear isn't indicative of mindless drones. It indicates consumer recognition of quality and value. Finally.

I guess that makes us "Elitist." Quite a compliment, if there ever was one.

Signed,

Happy iSheep.

Last edited by *LTD*; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
*LTD* is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:31 PM   #19
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Wake up to what? Lousy software and even worse support?

We've *already* awoken to superior User Experiences, the best consumer mobile devices on the planet, and the best service in the industry.

I suppose Samsung doesn't read Consumer Satisfaction reports. All they need to do is read the tech headlines, day after day.

Even during Apple's alleged "weak quarter", they still sold 35 million iPhones, have the only tablet that actually appeals to consumers, continue to outpace the PC industry in growth, and have the entire industry in breathless expectation about what market they'll conquer next.

But Samsung will resort to anything, rip anything off, and sink as low as they need to in order to grab Apple users. But they aren't actually doing that. All they're doing is hurting other Android OEMs. Which is fine, really. Let em fight over Android.

Years ago it was all the "Windows sheep" who got roped in thanks to Microsoft's universal licensing racket. But today, it's all the Apple fans, because they have *actively chosen* Apple gear, rather than the sea of Wintel that still clogs the market. The mass demand for and satisfaction with Apple gear isn't indicative of mindless drones. It indicates consumer recognition of quality and value. Finally.

I guess that makes us "Elitist." Quite a compliment, if there ever was one.

Signed,

Happy iSheep.
Even when a thread has nothing to do with Microsoft you manage to get the dagger in.

Just a bit surprised you didn't find a way to attack RIM at the same time.

Last edited by neiltc13; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
neiltc13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

This seems like something that is or should be illegal.
Tinyluph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #21
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Is there any actual proof that this is a Samsung campaign?

If it is, it's certainly doing a good job of getting people's attention.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:43 PM   #22
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post

Of course it'll get attention. It's something awkward and stupid on large scale.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:44 PM   #23
Stella
macrumors 603

AppleInsider has a story on this.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ple_store.html

IMHO, its just about interesting enough to post... nothing more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyluph View Post
This seems like something that is or should be illegal.
Why? Because Apple was the target? Would you be upset if it was a microsoft store?
Make this illegal you'd have to ban all flash mobs in public areas. They weren't trespassing on Apple property - I'm assuming Apple don't own the sidewalk immediately outside their store.

Last edited by Stella; Apr 26, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Stella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:12 PM   #24
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Of course it'll get attention. It's something awkward and stupid on large scale.
I agree that it's awkward because it doesn't really get any particular message across (wake up from what?).

Again, who is actually responsible for this?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Ubuntu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post

It's getting attention for the wrong reasons, though. If I go outside and yell random things, it'll get attention, but not necessarily good attention.

I don't mind Samsung products, but it seems they'd simply be encouraging the same sort of brand loyalty that they're apparently ridiculing Apple customers for having.

Of course, this might not be Samsung and I hope it's not.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion