Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Last time they tried holding exploits they were all fixed by the time of release. Might as well JB 5.1 now and work towards a future exploit.

THIS pretty much sums it all up. Nothing further needs to be added or said. There's NO point in waiting.

The sooner, the better.

Last edited:

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
how do you figure?

Actually is a snowball... i0n1c has the JB since week one but won't release, now, pod2g have all the exploits and i'm pretty sure that he got the know-how too.

If he simply had released as soon as he did it, we all could have enjoyed the SAM unlock

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm not even sure why this is debated. A lot changes in an OS update, why wait for a beta? Most of the exploits likely won't even be there.
And whose to say Apple hasn't been looking for them too? Likely they'll be patched eventually. Why wait till their potentially useless. Not to mention, if there's supposedly three, just use the one Apples most likely to find on their own in the mean time. :facepalm:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Releasing it right now isn't even an option as the exploits aren't completely done and the testing and creation of the tool is still required. As said before, given that will take a few weeks, it is only logical to wait and see what happens with iOS 6 which betas in a few weeks.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
i think he should just release it because if he waits it will be useless . If he releases it at least he would gain more time to work on ios 6 . I mean that if he releases 5.1 jailbreak we wouldnt really bother him and he will have more time to work on ios 6 while we all mess around with 5.1 .

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I'm undecided. What features do you guys think ios6 will have? If nothing worth upgrading, then I vote now.

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
I say wait for 6...it is getting harder and harder to crack these firmwares. Save for major ones, but keep looking for something else for 5.1

Last edited:

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
Well the other potential benefit would be having a launch day JB for the new iPhone.

What if he waits and we still have to wait a few months for the ios 6 jailbreak . If that happens wouldnt we all be frustrated ? Apple will close all of the hole and he would have to work even harder . If he releases the 5.1 Jailbreak we wouldnt really care how long the iOS 6 jailbreak takes.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
What if he waits and we still have to wait a few months for the ios 6 jailbreak . If that happens wouldnt we all be frustrated ? Apple will close all of the hole and he would have to work even harder . If he releases the 5.1 Jailbreak we wouldnt really care how long the iOS 6 jailbreak takes.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he should just release it now since there's a good chance Apple will find the hole either way. I was just saying that there are more benefits beyond just having a couple extra features.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
The problem is we have too many people using the jailbreaks and not enough people working on them. If enough people who knew the iOS comfortably spent some time looking for exploits, Apple couldn't do anything. We're all just waiting for these gods to let us drink from the chalice.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The problem is we have too many people using the jailbreaks and not enough people working on them. If enough people who knew the iOS comfortably spent some time looking for exploits, Apple couldn't do anything. We're all just waiting for these gods to let us drink from the chalice.

words of wisdom!

Wished I could do something about it on my part....

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
If the only thing we're losing by waiting for the next iOS is the ability to boot untethered, I say wait. I reboot my phone maybe once every week and I don't mind tethering.

Apple is in line to release a new phone this year, with a new iOS to follow. As long as the 5 vulns they talk about are kept secret, I say wait.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
If the only thing we're losing by waiting for the next iOS is the ability to boot untethered, I say wait. I reboot my phone maybe once every week and I don't mind tethering.

Apple is in line to release a new phone this year, with a new iOS to follow. As long as the 5 vulns they talk about are kept secret, I say wait.

YUP!

Why not just wait for the beta and see if the exploits are closed. If they are not, why not just wait? as long as with every releases of betas and GM the exploits are not closed, we all should hold out for the iOS6... :)

In the meantime, stick with 5.0.1 or tethered your 5.1! good things come to all of us who wait! :)

look for the future!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think those who want to wait are in for a surprise. It has not worked and will not work this time either. All that waiting will do is cause more and more people to fall off the jb bandwagon, either through aggravation or accident (one restore and it is all over).

So, when winter or perhaps spring of 2013 arrives and the 6 people still waiting finally get a jb for 6.0.1 they might find it anticlimactic. Meanwhile the rest of the world is running the much more stable and, you guessed it, non jailbroken, 6.1.

Michael

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.