Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Java is the worst thing about OS X. It's like having a little bit of Microsoft under the hood to hog memory and weaken security. Banish it forever! And while you're at it, banish Javascript from the web!

Do me a favor, disable JavaScript in your browser and see how long you last until you turn it back on. I give it 5 minutes tops.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Java on desktops is a disaster, always has been. Those who have worked with it on servers mostly agree though that it is quite useful there.

Maybe so, but if you use Oracle tools then you need to have java. I support a number of oracle platforms and having Java installed on my computer is a must

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
There are plenty of client-side scripting language options to replace Javascript.

And how many of them are currently deployed, available to execute in all recent versions of every major web browser in the world currently receiving vendor support, ready (almost) to deliver on the promise of making HTML5 worthy Flash replacement, and capable of executing without the need to install plug-ins (a non-starter for closed gardens such as Mobile Safari)?

Oh, that's right:
Zero.

----------

Maybe. It obviously works very well on Android.
There is no Java (the runtime engine, which is what we're discussing in this context) in Android.

The Android SDK takes Java (the source code language), and translates it to target a separate, incompatible runtime engine named Dalvik.

Last edited:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Java is the worst thing about OS X. It's like having a little bit of Microsoft under the hood to hog memory and weaken security. Banish it forever! And while you're at it, banish Javascript from the web!

There is so much wrong with this comment that I don't even know where to start. :eek:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I agree that desktop Java and web Java applets need to go (and they have for the most part), but server-side Java is very important to the success of OS X. Even at Apple, Java powers online Apple Store, iCloud, and more. And much of Google is written in Java.

You do realize that desktop Java helps to keep OS X relevant in many areas, right?

I write and have written many, many desktop Java applications that do a wide variety of tasks. By writing in Java, it means that client computers can be running Windows, Linux, or OS X. The same with thousands of other Java desktop applications.

If you end desktop Java, programmers like myself are going to write for what the client is running which most likely will be Windows computers. Since they are paying I doubt they are going to let me write it in say Visual Studio and then port my code to Xcode.

Without that cross platform support you are really hurting other OSs and making Windows stronger.

-P

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Solution? Just do everything in C# .NET through Visual Studio in a VM.
Or set the project to work in Java 6 if you suspect there may be clients involved that have not downloaded their JRE from oracle.com

(Which is still likely since JRE 7 its still in a testing stage and not offered for automatic download or as a download on java.com )

If you're compiling yourself using javac, then include the target parameter:
javac -target 1.6
or
javac -target 6
(They're just synonyms for each other)

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Funny that this thread comes up today actually, just looking through another Google Code project and guess what.... won't work in Java 6 :p.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

If we banished Javascript, we wouldn't have the pleasure of -1 your post :)

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Elitist

It doesn't get more elitist than to hear an Apple fanboy say
"Let's just get rid of Java altogether, we don't need it!"

LOL

----------

If we banished Javascript, we wouldn't have the pleasure of -1 your post :)

Exactly! LOL!!!!

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The latest incarnations of Flashback managed to infect over 600,000 Macs

It is interesting that your article now quotes the 600,000 Macs number as a fact without wrapping it in "Dr. Web, an Anti-Virus vendor claims that".

Is MacRumors just being lazy or do claims just get promoted to fact after you say it enough?

----------

It doesn't get more elitist than to hear an Apple fanboy say

It doesn't get more populist than to hear a person call another person a 'fanboy'

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I write and have written many, many desktop Java applications that do a wide variety of tasks. By writing in Java, it means that client computers can be running Windows, Linux, or OS X. The same with thousands of other Java desktop applications.

I also have written many applications over about 14 years that are in Java. Almost all are "internal" for companies I've worked for. (Note I'm an Electrical Engineer and programming as a part, although not the primary part of my job.) Originally I used Java to get Sun Solaris / Windows compatiblilty, later Linux became a factor. The fact that the software also runs natively on a Mac is at least a personal bonus for me!

I'd love to see Java on iOS devices as I have a couple of programs that would be ideal in that format, but that will never happen with Apple.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK

Nothing wrong with Javascript. Better idea to ban bad developers who don't know how to implement it properly.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
The big questions, I think: How do we keep the new JVM up to date, if not via Software Update? (Not that a weekly Software Update was nearly prompt enough - Windows handles this a little better)

And will Apple still bother to supply security fixes for 10.6's JVM? My 32-bit Mini makes a fantastic CrashPlan backup sink.

I fear I'll have to learn Ubuntu (again) much faster than I'd like to. :(

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
The big questions, I think: How do we keep the new JVM up to date, if not via Software Update? (Not that a weekly Software Update was nearly prompt enough - Windows handles this a little better)

And will Apple still bother to supply security fixes for 10.6's JVM? My 32-bit Mini makes a fantastic CrashPlan backup sink.

I don't really like the Window's task tray updater. It's just always on. Because Apple has Settings panels for controlling setting the current JVM versions and options, I would think Software Update will get the latest release.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Heck even for a University assignment this semester I ran into issues where I'd developed everything on my PC running the latest Java version, and then it just wouldn't run on my Macs as I'd used same Java 7 features (multi-catch exception handling, try-with-resource statements, etc). And of-course, were University's lab PCs even running Java 7? No they ****ing weren't :mad:.

Ended up hacking my code to pieces to make it work properly on Java 6.

Rages me when people go on about how Java is platform independent.
Platform independence and backwards compatibility are two utterly unrelated concepts. Java may not be the idyllic WORA language it once claimed to be, but that's not the problem you ran into -- that was just lack of proper requirements gathering on your part.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California

To expand on this: in general, people don't want or need the JDK, they just want the JVM. The way the article is worded, the JDK is being downloaded by Java developers to test their stuff on Java 7 before they release the JVM 7 update to consumers. I would assume the JVM will come from Software update and the JDK will come separately, perhaps also through software update once the JVM is ready.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
I don't really like the Window's task tray updater. It's just always on. Because Apple has Settings panels for controlling setting the current JVM versions and options, I would think Software Update will get the latest release.

Oh sorry. I meant the way Windows pushes security updates - more often than once a week, which I think is still the default on 10.7. I forgot that Java is not included, and that its updater is an abomination in fact. Didn't it even try to push crapware? (I looked it up - it nudged users to install OOo in 2009) I know my mom absolutely hates Java now, without knowing what it even is.

Anyway, I hope the JVM (not JDK) update process will stay at least as good as it is now - in Software Update - and possibly even better. If it'd need manual updates, it would certainly be a step forward for Apple who can blame it all on Oracle, but a step back for users.

Nice signature, I also bought the One X to try out Android. I like the hardware and out-of-the-box design a lot.

mgkimsal

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Lion only still

"The installer only supports Lion".

The earlier Oracle page said that this was tested in Snow Leopard, but I'm not sure how if the installer only works in Lion. I've not upgraded to Lion, have no immediate plans to, so I guess I can't try out this JDK. :(

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Besides their own, Sun/Oracle only provide Java for a couple of problem platforms, one of which is OSX now.

It is the responsibility of the platform owner to license Java and port from the reference implementation.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
You do realize that desktop Java helps to keep OS X relevant in many areas, right?

I am not denying the fact that niche market for desktop Java apps exist, especially in enterprises. But desktop Java has become a rarity for more typical Mac users. By and large, Java's strongholds are mobile and servers.

In any case, many Java developers prefer to develop in OS X, so Oracle offering Java for OS X is a win-win for both Java developers and Apple.

z3r0

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
/usr/local/bin
Java is not as bad as Objective C.

I'd be interested in seeing Apple move away from Objective C.
Objective C syntax isn't developer friendly and there's a performance hit with message passing.

Apple could push for C# on LLVM and take .Net out of the equation.

This project is a start:
http://blog.prabir.me/post/LLVM-e28093-Native-C-Compiler.aspx

Java on LLVM is another possibility with VMkit: http://vmkit.llvm.org/

Dynamic a languages could also be supported via the Parrot VM http://www.parrot.org/

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Java is not as bad as Objective C.

I'd be interested in seeing Apple move away from Objective C.
Objective C syntax isn't developer friendly and there's a performance hit with message passing.

Apple could push for C# on LLVM and take .Net out of the equation.

This project is a start:
http://blog.prabir.me/post/LLVM-e28093-Native-C-Compiler.aspx

Java on LLVM is another possibility with VMkit: http://vmkit.llvm.org/

Dynamic a languages could also be supported via the Parrot VM http://www.parrot.org/

Objective C syntax is fine. You're just not used to it. Additionally, the performance hit on messages is negligible for quite a while. Apple's invested a lot in making the objc runtime efficient - the GNU folks started catching up a few years back too.

C# is nice though, and I would like to see it with WPF available as a viable option on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.