Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
EDIT: works with ipad 3 too

I got my Tucano Magico case today for my ipad 2 from http://www.tucanousa.com. First impressions after using it today are very good. This back case with the apple smart cover weighs the same as the apple smart cover with the belkin snap shield. The metal plate on the back works very well. The feel of the case is nice and soft. The edges feel nice on the hands when holding it. More impressions later.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
More pics showing off more of the case.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 141

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
Just a few more to show off a few more views.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 117

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Looks pretty nice! Do you have any issues with the angle of the iPad when you use the smart cover to stand it up (folding the smart cover in the triangle position)?

Thanks for the pics man!

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
No issues at all. Works well. This is now my main case for use day to day. I love it. It can be found for under $25 too. I love that it has the metal plate on the back to hold the cover flat against the back. Some guys at work ordered one too. Their belkin snap shields started cracking like mine so the converted to this case too.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
How's the speaker output? It looks like a good portion of the speaker holes are covered up.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I haven't noticed a difference but for the heck of it I used a pink noise generator on the ipad 2 (gigtool) and UE SPL app sound meter app on the iphone 4 about 1 foot away from the front center of the ipad 2 (about where your face would be) and did a test.

Result....

-67 db at around half volume with case
-69 db same settings without case

Realize that the SPL app i am sure is not that accurate but I did the test about 4 times and got the same result.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
As an update... I am still using this case and even after buying a few different brands for the new ipad 3 (including yoobao executive case) I am now using this old case on the ipad 3. I am ordering a second one though in a different color to change things up a bit since they are not very expensive right now if you google for them.

This case is the perfect case... for me. The only way to improve it would be to make a real leather version of it and I would pay up to $75 for that.

Illstateofmind

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
This case isn't listed on the Italian site. It's listed for the iPad 2 on the US site. Has it been updated for the iPad 3?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
As an update... I am still using this case and even after buying a few different brands for the new ipad 3 (including yoobao executive case) I am now using this old case on the ipad 3. I am ordering a second one though in a different color to change things up a bit since they are not very expensive right now if you google for them.

This case is the perfect case... for me. The only way to improve it would be to make a real leather version of it and I would pay up to $75 for that.

I can see why you feel that way. For those who want a back case, the Magico looks awfully nice with its faux leather and multiple color options..

here's hoping that Devicewear will offer leather on their bridgeway!

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm pretty happy with the Vedo, but have noticed a bit of sag in the long unlipped area the smart cover meshes with. I went ahead and ordered one of these in black eco-leather off Amazon.

Edit: Realizing this is something I should've asked first, how does the camera line up? The hole looks fairly tight on the iPad 2 pictures.

Last edited:

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Edit: Realizing this is something I should've asked first, how does the camera line up? The hole looks fairly tight on the iPad 2 pictures.

The answer is 'pretty well' - I've seen a bit of exposed metal around the camera lens area, but not much more.

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I like how all the corners and edge are covered. This ths the first thing to get smacked upon a droppage!!!

Just me, but I like the locked in smart cover.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
The answer is 'pretty well' - I've seen a bit of exposed metal around the camera lens area, but not much more.

Sounds good. I've pretty much never used my iPad camera, but I figure one of these days someone might come out with some AR thing that doesn't suck. It'd be nice if the camera worked. :)

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Sounds good. I've pretty much never used my iPad camera, but I figure one of these days someone might come out with some AR thing that doesn't suck. It'd be nice if the camera worked. :)

The new iPad camera is decent in reviews. My concern on seeing the Magico is the tight fit and the small lip around the corners and side edges may make it vulnerable to cracks if it takes a bad fall. But that's a concern with a lot of back shells.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
The new iPad camera is decent in reviews. My concern on seeing the Magico is the tight fit and the small lip around the corners and side edges may make it vulnerable to cracks if it takes a bad fall. But that's a concern with a lot of back shells.

Yeah. Having any sort of soft faux leather texture on it should cushion some of that, though.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
After much indecision, I just ordered the grey version of this case.

Will post some pictures and thoughts on it when I get it next week. :)

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
After much indecision, I just ordered the grey version of this case.

Will post some pictures and thoughts on it when I get it next week. :)

Still waiting on mine. The company I ordered from on Amazon appears to have sat on shipping a few days longer than promised. Won't out them on here, though, since they did give me reasonable customer service when I called to complain this morning.

At this point, I expect the case next Monday or Tuesday. Will post back when I've received it.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Just received mine. I like it quite a bit!

Fit on the 3rd gen iPad is pretty good. It does have very slight bowing at the back, which (if you're looking directly for it) hits the Smart Cover cutout, so I don't think will be completely dust-tight. In practice, I don't notice the bowing, at least yet.

The camera, btw, centers well in the case (as does everything else), with maybe a half mm of space around it. There's no vignetting. Speaker is completely covered. The grill doesn't line up exactly with the holes for the speaker, but output volume seems fine regardless. Aside from the camera being tighter, pics above are all accurate.

The case is thinner than I expected. It's pretty comparable to other plastic back shells--probably a little thicker than the Feather, but around the same as the Belkin Snap Shield.

The plastic seems a little softer overall than, say, the Snap Shield, which I think will keep it from cracking quite as easily. It is very easy to crease with a fingernail, though, so I'm a little concerned about scratching being obvious over time. Fingernail creases do eventually come out, so maybe it'll self-heal OK.

Nobody will mistake this for leather, btw. The slightly irregular texture is nice for hiding fingerprints just a little, and does look nice enough, but it doesn't show much grain (fake or otherwise).

Main con is slightly rough edges on the right (non-hinge) side, where I think it mold-released. I've been able to smooth them down some with a fingernail--which is where I discovered that the case creases easily. :)

Also, the back magnet that retains the Smart Cover in book mode seems slightly weaker than the ones on the Vedo and Snap Shield. It works, but it's a little easier to peel the cover away, whether intentionally or accidentally.

Overall, I like this better than the Vedo. It's lighter and thinner, and looks at least as elegant if not a little more. It's also nice to have my clicky volume keys back! I will miss seeing the beloved Apple logo, and it'll be interesting to see how the case holds up over time re: scratches, but I think I'll be sticking with this one.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
It is very easy to crease with a fingernail, though, so I'm a little concerned about scratching being obvious over time. Fingernail creases do eventually come out, so maybe it'll self-heal OK.

Took it to work with me, and when I pulled it out of my bag it had several creases/indentations in the back of the case where my camera case had snugged up next to it. They're ever-so-slowly disappearing, and I think won't be permanent, but there's no question this will pick up impressions if you put it on something that pokes it even a little.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I have their Second Skin for my MBP and every now and then I will see a crease in the sleeve or black mark. Then like a few days later its gone. Good to know that it does that for the Magico too.

I'm now leaning toward the Tucano Bordo. It has a clear back. And one of the colors matches my TImbuk2 sleeve.

thanks for the review

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
I have their Second Skin for my MBP and every now and then I will see a crease in the sleeve or black mark. Then like a few days later its gone. Good to know that it does that for the Magico too.

I'm now leaning toward the Tucano Bordo. It has a clear back. And one of the colors matches my TImbuk2 sleeve.

thanks for the review

I was encouraged to hear this--then I found the mysterious gouge in my case with "leather" flaking off (bright white material beneath, too :/)

Swear to god the case hasn't been banged around. Normal usage seems to have produced a handful of dents and one blemish already.

This is a nice case in most respects, but I think it might be more fragile than just the naked iPad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.