Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
So here I am, over a month after the launch of the iPad 3, sitting here iPad-less :(

Here's my story.

* Sold iPad 2 on March 17th (so sad I did). I loved that thing.

* March 19th I bought iPad #1 from John Lewis. Realised straight away it had a yellow, patchy screen. Researched online and ended up lurking here. Gave it a week to see if there was any improvement. It only got worse, yes worse, so I sent it back to John Lewis. They were very accommodating. I love John Lewis.

* Next I buy iPad #2 from an online Apple Premium Reseller. With butterflies in tummy, I open it up... OMG, it's perfect! Feel very lucky and happy. 2 days later I notice a small, dead, black pixel. Sod it, I don't care. At least the screen is bright and white. Still happy, I carry on using it.
Day 6 of owning this iPad, I notice when surfing the web on white web pages the screen looks yellow again. Heart sinks. Do the usual test and find this one is now worse than iPad #1. Gutted! I call the Apple Reseller and arrange a return under the 7 day Distance Selling Regulations. They were not happy but didn't have a leg to stand on. It was sent back to them on day 7 of owning it. I got lucky that the problem was spotted just in the knick on time.

* iPad #3 was bought a few days later from Tesco Direct. Third time lucky and all that.... yeah right! Pick the iPad up, get home, by this time I am not nervous, I was kind of despondent :rolleyes: switch it on.... it's pink and green. The pink is above the home button, and light green in the top, left corner when held in landscape mode. I feel like throwing the damn thing out the window. I didn't :D I go online and you guessed it, it's yellow all around the edges. It's like it has a boarder. The strange thing, the pink area would disappear and then turn yellow and vice versa. It was very strange. The more the iPad heated up, the more the colours would intensify and change from pink to yellow. So now, I had an iPad that was yellow, pink AND green all in one. Definitely the worse.
Like an idiot, I was so 'over it' that I simply left it, kinda hoping it would all magically disappear over night and it would right itself.
Anyway, Tesco wouldn't acknowledge it because I was over my 10 day return window. I didn't even go down the route of showing them the multi-coloured screen as I'd read other peoples experience with them and they told them to go back to Apple as it looked 'normal' to them :rolleyes:

* That leads me to now. I ring AppleCare, told them my problems. They were great. They say Apple knows of this issue and to send the iPad back to them and they will replace it. They send me a box, I send mine back and they then send me a new one. This is exactly what TWO AppleCare reps told me.
Guess what, log on yesterday to check the iPad's repair status and it says 'Apple could not duplicate the issue' :eek: and they had shipped it back to me. I ring Apple straight away and somehow I manage to get through to Customer Relations after a lot of hassle. A nice Irish lady is now dealing with my 'case' along with a nice, Irish 'senior technician'. She said she is going to work with me until I am happy and she knows what that means.... an iPad whose whites are whites and has a uniform screen. So here's hoping.
She is calling me back today so we'll see what happens. The defective iPad is also arriving back today :( If Apple will not issue me with a replacement, I will sell the iPad in my local newspaper. It will be at a loss but so be it. I'm back in the mindset of, I WILL get an iPad 3 with a white, uniform screen, even if it kills me. This time around I will not make the mistake of leaving it past 1 week. If you're in the UK, Distance Selling Regulations are your friend ;)

That's my Apple iPad 3 story...... I mean nightmare. Very sad.
I feel for everyone going through this. I am once again iPad-less, until iPad #3 arrives back to me which I do not want back. I just hope Apple agrees to take it off my hands and actually do what they say they would and swap it out.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I gave up after 3 iPads and have asked for a refund (Green,Pink and Yellow). Will maybe try again later.

Last edited:

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I gave up after 3 iPads and have asked for a refund (Pink,Red and Yellow). Will maybe try again later.

I've been there with thinking the same. In fact, if iPad #4 is the same, I will leave it and buy another brand I reckon. I really don't want to though as I loved my iPad 2 and just want to feel like that about the iPad 3.
It's so disheartening. I have been through so many different emotions; pissed, upset, angry, despondent, over it, the lot lol. It shouldn't be like this when buying a new product, it really shouldn't.

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
Once again! There is really some serious problems with this iPad. I wonder why Apple don't do anything about it... Buying an iPad being such a roulette game is a really poor experience, very (very) far from what I usually have with Apple product. At least, they should fix it on production side and make a statement about this issue, just like Sony did recently.

Also, I'm very surprised that nobody in the specialized or mass media reveal this issue? How is that possible?

I've asked Raymond Soneira (DisplayMate Technologies), who wrote this nice and extensive review, about the issue and he told me that he received tones of emails from users about the problem too... :confused:

Very confusing... I hate having to say I hate this iPad experience.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Why cant you just keep one and when apple's supply weeds out these bad units, exchange it?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Why cant you just keep one and when apple's supply weeds out these bad units, exchange it?

You're assuming that Apple will indeed "weed out" the bad units, and that the unit you're given in an exchange would be a good one. And you're assuming you would know when this would happen, if at all.

I'm on my second iPad here. And it's certifiably worse than the first. Didn't notice under the in-store lights. It's a yellow, blotchy mess where my first one just showed hints of pink and green, but was at least white where it was supposed to be white.

Beltane63

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
My son´s new mobile phone is a Samsung. My next tablet, too. Perhaps... :)
I´ve swapped 5 times and the display doesn´t satisfy me at all. A german saying: Andere Mütter habe auch schöne Töchter!
Every mother has a beautiful daughter!:D
I´m not married to Apple and this time I´m truly underwhelmed:(

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
The new iPad is a complete disappointment because of the screen QC issues. Quantity over quality it would seem.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Sorry to hear your bad luck.

I strongly suspect Apple engineers in China would like to overcome the screen tinting issue but has been unable to, so have simply lowered the quality control bar so that these things are considered acceptable. And to be fair it's worked. Somebody else here pointed out that they've seen customers happily using tinted screens without knowing or caring. This is the power of Apple's brand. :apple:

The problem is that some of us except more of Apple. In isolation slips in quality aren't a huge issue but if they continue then alarm bells will begin to ring noisily although Apple's quality control has ALWAYS been a bit dodgy, going back years. They sell premium hardware but like all businesses will use the cheapest components if they can. However, this is a different issue. This is where Apple is the only company currently using this technology and it clearly hasn't yet been perfected.

(I've had two ipads, one from John Lewis, and one from an Apple Store. Both had pink tints and were returned. I've currently got one on the way over from China having ordered direct from Apple's website. I'm hoping this will be a later model, where the bugs have been ironed out. People on this forum are saying that models with a DY serial number seem to be pretty good.)

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France

That is exactly what I'm doing. :)

Got an appointment yesterday in my local Apple Store: Geniuses acknowledge there is a slightly lack of lateral uniformity (yellow/shadow on the left) and an overall yellow tint (my iPad is probably among the most "corrects" for now). He wrote a note about my passage but clearly recommended me to wait a bit before exchanging, because he was afraid he can't provide me a correct one for now, and I may get... a worse one! :eek:

That's OK: my iPad is usable... even if the display is clearly not pleasing! So I've decided to wait a bit for Apple to iron out these sh**** panels. Hope this won't take too long anyway.

Also, I'm wondering: what about a petition on this issue? This could be a way to be heard from them, right? :confused:

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Also, I'm wondering: what about a petition on this issue? This could be a way to be heard from them, right? :confused:

You might run into trouble with this idea because there are MANY people on this forum and elsewhere who refuse to believe any of us are having issues. You've probably already seen the insults flying around. Calling somebody obsessive compulsive seems to be the main one.

I work as an IT writer and have written about Windows, Linux and Macs. By far the most aggressively strident are Mac fans. The rule amongst writers is: Never read the comments left below a piece you write about Apple. It will remove your faith in humanity. Even if you're positive about Apple stuff, people will still attack you. It's crazy.

So, if you decide to do this, be prepared to battle!

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
The other suggestion I would make is DO NOT hold on to a defective unit for months thinking you can make an exchange later when issues are worked out. I took my 3rd unit, a uniform pinky, into Apple store on day 14. Various Apple employees noticed/acknowledged it was definitely pink compared to display units but the genius warned it was "within Apple specs" and wouldn't be returnable/exchangeable outside 14-day return window. I think there have obviously been a lot of returns and they are now playing defense - CYA. I decided to go ahead and keep mine because I had already been through two uneven units and waiting to buy until later would leave me without an iPad for months. I've been an avid user of iPad 1 & 2 and just didn't want to go without for an extended period of time. However, whenever I'm in bright natural light or using it under 70% brightness, it is noticeably dim/pink (not white) and it's just flat-out annoying for a $900 purchase. If you can bear it, return your iPad for a refund, clearly stating your reasons for doing so, and either find an iPad 2 model on clearance or wait for Apple to solve the production issues. This IMO is the only course of action that will possible get Apple's attention. Resolutionary indeed!;). Apple, I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
The other suggestion I would make is DO NOT hold on to a defective unit for months thinking you can make an exchange later when issues are worked out. I took my 3rd unit, a uniform pinky, into Apple store on day 14. Various Apple employees noticed/acknowledged it was definitely pink compared to display units but the genius warned it was "within Apple specs" and wouldn't be returnable/exchangeable outside 14-day return window. I think there have obviously been a lot of returns and they are now playing defense - CYA. I decided to go ahead and keep mine because I had already been through two uneven units and waiting to buy until later would leave me without an iPad for months. I've been an avid user of iPad 1 & 2 and just didn't want to go without for an extended period of time. However, whenever I'm in bright natural light, it is noticeably pink (not white) and it's just flat-out annoying for a $900 purchase. If you can bear it, return your iPad for a refund, clearing stating your reasons for doing so, and either find an iPad 2 model on clearance or wait for Apple to solve the production issues. This IMO is the only course of action that will possible get Apple's attention. Resolutionary indeed!;). Apple, I'm not impressed.

My experience is that their customer service is pretty good. They seem to want to make you happy. They exchanged my first two without question and acknowledged that they were defective. On this one, the guy said that it was within spec, but he would have changed it out even though I was outside the 14 days. He said none of them are perfect and my chances of getting one that was worse were good. So I decided to keep it Maybe their attitude is changing with more returns, but I really can't complain about how they treated me.

The bottom line is that this device just has screen kinks. The odds of getting three duds in a row without a widespread problem are pretty low. It will be an awesome product when they get this fixed. Moral of the story should be not be an early adopter. I admit though that I will still want an iPhone 5 on launch day despite this dud of an experience. So I guess I'm still a bit of a fan boy myself for giving them a mulligan on this product.

apriori

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
I just sent my third iPad back to Apple, and am waiting for a replacement. I told the customer service rep that I'm in the production business and could not tolerate a screen with any sort of tint. I further promised that, if my defective iPad is determined to be "within acceptable tolerances", I *will* be going Android on all mobile devices. The service rep didn't make any guarantees, but wrote a note to the technicians advising to send me the whitest screen they can find. We'll see what happens.

I love Apple, but the iPad is essentially a $600 screen -- expecting a uniform white balance is NOT unreasonable.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
You might run into trouble with this idea because there are MANY people on this forum and elsewhere who refuse to believe any of us are having issues. You've probably already seen the insults flying around. Calling somebody obsessive compulsive seems to be the main one.

I work as an IT writer and have written about Windows, Linux and Macs. By far the most aggressively strident are Mac fans. The rule amongst writers is: Never read the comments left below a piece you write about Apple. It will remove your faith in humanity. Even if you're positive about Apple stuff, people will still attack you. It's crazy.

So, if you decide to do this, be prepared to battle!

It's not that people refuse to believe it. It's that they refuse to believe that this is widespread, which it's not.

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
It's not that people refuse to believe it. It's that they refuse to believe that this is widespread, which it's not.

I can only go on what I have seen and received. The odds of getting three duds in a row without a widespread problem are slim. By the way, based on my experience with the original iPad and the iPad 2, I would also have not believed in a widespread problem. But I have seen it first hand and the problem is real with the screen on this device.

MacAuditor

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Apple is dumb.

Since rainbow tints on ipad 3's are so popular, why didn't Apple just advertise the devices as "RAINBOW SCREEN". So that people know what to expect.... some kids and girls may like rainbow screens. Of course, I would not buy it, because, I hate rainbows.....

Guys, you need to jump over to Galaxy tab 7.7 SAMOLED+. Those screens don't suffer from uneven tints. They are uniform. The only down side is that their whites isn't pure neutral white like iPad 2's, but still, better than iPad 3's yella pinky whites and dimmed spots. :p

Don't have money to dish out right now but my next is going to be the GT7.7. Don't wait for Apple to release the newer batches as they will all have same uneven tint issues and light leakages. For Apple to remedy this problem will take about over 30 generations, that's 30 years guys, 30 years. Some of us would be dead by then.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Apple is dumb.

Since rainbow tints on ipad 3's are so popular, why didn't Apple just advertise the devices as "RAINBOW SCREEN". So that people know what to expect.... some kids and girls may like rainbow screens. Of course, I would not buy it, because, I hate rainbows.....

Guys, you need to jump over to Galaxy tab 7.7 SAMOLED+. Those screens don't suffer from uneven tints. They are uniform. The only down side is that their whites isn't pure neutral white like iPad 2's, but still, better than iPad 3's yella pinky whites. :p

Don't have money to dish out right now but my next is going to be the GT7.7. Don't wait for Apple to release the newer batches as they will all have same uneven tint issues and light leakages. For Apple to remedy this problem will take about over 30 generations, that's 30 years guys, 30 years. Some of us would be dead by then.

Did you know your posts and your post history make you look like some kind of shill or paid FUDster?

1) using 'the product is for girls/children' as a tacky way to demean the product through association
2) charged phrases like 'rainbow' screen ('cause we all know who likes rainbows, right?)
3) recommending that people jump to specific competitors' products
4) repetition of specific phrases (e.g. 30 generations until Apple gets its act together [lol])
5) A recent reg date coupled with the fact that all your posts are harshly critical about the iPad

Maybe consider how you're coming across so people don't just add you to their ignore lists right away or something.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

I think this is one of the more sensible postings on this whole topic.

The multiple threads on this forum discussing the issue are actually populated by the same posters which is understandable. However, just because these posters are the loudest / most vocal about their perceived issues (rightly or wrongly) doesn't mean the issue is so widespread. What I don't understand is the mantra "Most, if not all, iPad screens are faulty, if you don't think yours is faulty your wrong". By all means discuss your issues and woes but don't patronise those of us (which I believe are the silent majority) who have screens which are good (I'm loath to use the word perfect as that doesn't exist at this price point).

MacAuditor

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Don't expect miracles. 50 cents / hr Chinese labor guys.

Like I said before, only to get out of this mess is for Apple to drop contract with the Chinese plants. Drop contract with LCD IPS manufacturing. Lay off about 80% of Apple employees world-wide. Spend billions on brand new factories in Japan. Building plants in Japan will be mega expensive, but what can we say... they do better job on the manufacturing and assembly. By then, Apple will have very little money left to even feed themselves.

Oh, that's not it. Apple will have to raise the new iPad price by quadruple, or more.

We can then finally have better built better quality screens..

$500 for a pad device isn't that much. Gas price alone costs over 4 bucks / gal. $500 is nothing. $3000 iPad baby.

Anyone expecting top quality screen for $500- 600 you are crazy.

I mean really... $3000 is the realistic price, not $500.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
What I don't understand is the mantra "Most, if not all, iPad screens are faulty, if you don't think yours is faulty your wrong". By all means discuss your issues and woes but don't patronise those of us (which I believe are the silent majority) who have screens which are good
Because you're hearing people who exchanged many iPads to get a "good" one.
From their point of view, X bad iPads in a row is pretty hard practical evidence that most iPads are bad, compared to pure speculation of some dude on the internet who thinks that most iPads are good and doesn't provide any proof for it.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
From their point of view, X bad iPads in a row is pretty hard practical evidence that most iPads are bad, compared to pure speculation of some dude on the internet who thinks that most iPads are good and doesn't provide any proof for it.

How about compared to some dude on the internet who provides data from customer satisfaction surveys about the new iPad, and lists sales figures, and stories from people who got multiple good iPads in a row?

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
Actually, without knowing the distribution of 'good' iPads and 'bad' iPads, there is absolutely no way to make that inference.

Perhaps not empirically, however, one by mail from Apple and two from the local Apple store seems to suggest that they didn't all come from one bad batch. Nor were they all the same production week. Maybe I should have just continued to exchange more to have a larger sample. The Apple genius suggested that any further exchanges could look worse. But yeah there isn't a problem. Just a few bad "Apples" that I was unlucky to get. Sigh.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.