Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Advertising tracking firm Ace Metrix today shared its data on viewer reactions to Apple's new celebrity iPhone 4S ads featuring Siri and starring Samuel L. Jackson and Zooey Deschanel. The new ads are registering well with consumers, generating scores higher than any other iPhone 4S ad released so far this year.

ace_metrix_top_mobile_ads_4_27_12.jpg

"Apple's ads for iPhone had been falling rather flat earlier in the year, all scoring below the Apple iPhone norm of 620. This new creative tack that uses likeable celebrities struck a chord with American viewers," said Peter Daboll, CEO of Ace Metrix. "These ads performed very well, especially with younger women, who did not react as strongly to Apple's more feature-focused ads from earlier in the year. Celebrity ads are risky, as many celebrities can be polarizing. In these latest ads, Apple has chosen wisely, using celebrities with broad appeal."
But while the new celebrity iPhone 4S performed very well, they were unable to unseat Samsung's top Galaxy Note as the most popular mobile phone ad of 2012. The Galaxy Note and iPhone 4S hold the top nine positions among mobile phone ads released so far this year, with Samsung's "Samsunged Again" Super Bowl commercial directly targeting Apple and iPhone users placing tenth.

The new celebrity ads also fell short of Apple's iPhone 4S camera ad from late October, which was named the top mobile phone ad of 2011 with a viewer score of 659.

Article Link: Apple's Celebrity iPhone 4S Ads Score Well with Viewers

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Eh idk. Not a huge fan of the ads. (I've liked all previous iPhone ads)

I'm not one of those "Omg Steve would've never approved these! Apple is doomed!" people though.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, they've been sucking lately. The rock god ad being possibly the worst and annoying advertisement I've ever seen. Although, I don't see what's so great about the note ads.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I actually enjoy the Zooey and Samuel ones. At first I thought they were annoying but they grew on me.

As an aside, since they're showing Siri, I've come to use Siri quite a bit. In the beginning it was awful, but now it doesn't miss a beat. It's great in my car, the handsfree bluetooth works with it if I need to dictate a work email or text. Guess all the usage data gathered since its release paid off. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I haven't seen any ad that was any good in a long time... Pixar's for Brave have been the best, and even those aren't as good as for some of their previous movies. (Same goes for the Dark Knight Rises. I'll be seeing both movies, of course.)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Uhm, it looks like the Galaxy Note IS popular for being a niche product after all.

Good job, to both Apple and Samsung :cool:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They were still definitely Apple in tone but I wonder how much they paid over their normal commercials to get those actors.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Is there any place to view all the commercials, including the Samsung ads? I've seen the two Siri ads because they were posted here on MR, but none of the others.

And no, I don't watch TV.

Edit. Okay, I've found a few on various web sites ... just hoping to find one place to see them all. Life is never easy.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Yeah, they've been sucking lately. The rock god ad being possibly the worst and annoying advertisement I've ever seen. Although, I don't see what's so great about the note ads.

Sadly, the answer to the last thought lies in mothers. From my mother when she saw the ad for the Note:

"Oh wow, that's pretty clever" [RE: The Note ad]

It caters to those that don't know better... and that's a very large demographic.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I haven't seen the Zooey one around here. I am *definitely* getting sick of Samuel and his "Unless you like hot 'zpacho!" line in his ad, though.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I thought the "Rock god" ad was funny, though the one with Zooey Deschanel probably appeals to a broader audience

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Is there any place to view all the commercials, including the Samsung ads? I've seen the two Siri ads because they were posted here on MR, but none of the others.

And no, I don't watch TV.

Edit. Okay, I've found a few on various web sites ... just hoping to find one place to see them all. Life is never easy.

The graphic in the article says: "see the ads at acemetrix.com"

danimals

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
a poet = a moron

That Samsung Galaxy poet ad numbs my mind. We need to equip a room full of high school students with tablets so they can write collective poetry by hand!? Freaking note pads and pens would work just as well. I'm not saying there aren't good uses for technology in the classroom, but this is not one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.