Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac_app_store_icon_150.jpg
As pointed out by MacGeneration [Google translation], Apple's Mac App Store has reached a new milestone with 10,000 apps available for purchase or free download through the marketplace.

Our own sister site AppShopper confirms the milestone, currently indexing 10,339 applications in the store. Apple launched the Mac App Store in January 2011 and has quickly moved to offer its own major software titles through the marketplace, viewing it as the future of software distribution on the Mac platform. Even OS X Lion itself is distributed via the Mac App Store.

The 10,000 Mac App Store apps pale in comparison to the 600,000 apps available through the iOS App Store, but the Mac App Store remains a success by desktop software sales standards. Last December, the store passed 100 million downloads, making it the "largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world".

Article Link: Mac App Store Hits 10,000 Available Apps

Last edited:

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Shame on Apple.

Apple would have a LOT MORE APPS available if they would continue to support OS9 and PPC. It is a shame that Apple has discontinued those. The hardware is plenty powerful to do the emulation. There are enormous numbers of titles for educational, small business and tools that could run under emulation. These great titles are now no longer available. Apple is destroying this programming art. The 1990's was the hay day of creative educational titles. Shame on Apple.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It's nice but until they come up with a far better way to actually *find* useful apps it's just a meaningless statistic. Like the iOS app store -- unless you know what you're looking for or if it's just whatever's popular you will never find it.

gravem

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Better filters for all those apps?

The one thing I am missing most from both Mac app store and IOS app store is a filter to view only none game apps or only games.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Apple would have a LOT MORE APPS available if they would continue to support OS9 and PPC. It is a shame that Apple has discontinued those. The hardware is plenty powerful to do the emulation. There are enormous numbers of titles for educational, small business and tools that could run under emulation. These great titles are now no longer available. Apple is destroying this programming art. The 1990's was the hay day of creative educational titles. Shame on Apple.

Seriously. Seriously! Apple has showed us time and time again that they don't look back, only forward. Why would they revive old outdated software and hardware? And what makes OS 9 so significant? Leopard isn't supported, and Snow Leopard is probably only going to be getting security fixes for the next few months.

Can't tell if trolling, or just stupid.

And why'd you remove the text from the quote? Isn't that the point of quoting someone ? Know what they're saying when you respond?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

LOL, alright. Enough with the jokes. You had your fun.

Now let's get serious.

EDIT: oh wait . . .

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9132167/

Waste of time.
Classic won't run.
Useless.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9643289/

Apple should support MacOS9 on the iPhone! (and Macs) Actually, this wouldn't be all that hard.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
I'll get serious. I wish Apple was a much bigger Nazi about accepting apps. The icons of 99% of apps are absolutely hideous, many games just stretch random art to the full 512x512 box. The first few apps I downloaded also looked like Java apps on acid.
And that's the Mac, where previously even tiny hobbyist apps and FOSS ports looked surprisingly good.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Apple would have a LOT MORE APPS available if they would continue to support the Apple II. It is a shame that Apple has discontinued those. The hardware is plenty powerful to do the emulation. There are enormous numbers of titles for educational, small business and tools that could run under emulation. These great titles are now no longer available. Apple is destroying this programming art. The 1980's was the hay day of creative educational titles. Shame on Apple.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I love the mac app store, the same way I love having a way of installing apps outside of the store:) let's keep it that way

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I find it kind of curious that they called it a "PC software store". They could have left "PC" out, still made their point, and continued their policy of distinguishing themselves from PCs. Strange for Apple marketing.

Apple has a bigger software store, the iOS App Store, so couldn't call it the biggest software store without saying PC.

Macs are PCs: Personal Computers. The same as Windows machines are.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

How long are they supposed to continue development for something they haven't sold in like 7 or 8 years? Apple supports old platforms better than anyone out there. What your asking for is ridiculous.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's nice but until they come up with a far better way to actually *find* useful apps it's just a meaningless statistic. Like the iOS app store -- unless you know what you're looking for or if it's just whatever's popular you will never find it.

Agreed—but as with shopping at any store, you can also do research and check reviews outside the store, which is what I’ve always done. The MAS has search terms and reviews, which are a great start, but they’re not the only method for finding great MAS apps.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I find it kind of curious that they called it a "PC software store". They could have left "PC" out, still made their point, and continued their policy of distinguishing themselves from PCs. Strange for Apple marketing.

Especially as were are supposed to be in the post-PC era. Even though Apple still sell PC's.

gtg660w

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
And why'd you remove the text from the quote? Isn't that the point of quoting someone ? Know what they're saying when you respond?

Common Sense would tell you to look at the poster's username to get the quote or the general idea of the message conveyed, but it looks like you were too busy nitpicking ppl's posts to give it some forethought.

I'm not trolling but someone once said "everyone is entitled to be stupid...some just abuse the privilege".

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

PPC went out in 06, now almost 6 years - apple did the right thing an moved on.

PPC was supported for an adequate amount of time.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Common Sense would tell you to look at the poster's username to get the quote or the general idea of the message conveyed, but it looks like you were too busy nitpicking ppl's posts to give it some forethought.

I'm not trolling but someone once said "everyone is entitled to be stupid...some just abuse the privilege".

Okay, go do the same thing in the news discussion forum, and see how quickly things can get lost. I know I can just look at the username, and it happened to be easy to see, in this case. It's not always like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.