Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajxoxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Hi everyone. I got a new iPad 4G with an AT&T Sim card. I did the initial setup and I activated everything getting online with the AT&T service from the SIM card.

I have been using WIFI in my house for a while, and now seems like the AT&T SIM card doesn't work... or probably, I just don't know how to use it.

I want to connect via the SIM card. How do I do it? Do I need to buy another SIM card? Or do I just activate this one? I don't want to sign up for a long-term plan, just something prepaid if I can.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
did you go to settings and go to the cellular data option? you should be able to sign up for the monthly plan you want there

ajxoxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
did you go to settings and go to the cellular data option? you should be able to sign up for the monthly plan you want there

I don't want to sign up for a monthly plan. I'm going on vacation for about 2 weeks and all I want to do is Prepaid service, not a recurring monthly payment plan. How do I do this?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I don't want to sign up for a monthly plan. I'm going on vacation for about 2 weeks and all I want to do is Prepaid service, not a recurring monthly payment plan. How do I do this?

I did it the way I instructed and cancelled the recurring payment after I signed up

ajxoxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I did it the way I instructed and cancelled the recurring payment after I signed up

OK. It's been a few days since I researched how I can get cellular Internet service on my iPad just for my upcoming 2 week vacation. I ran into a little issue.

I went to the AT&T store to ask about turning on my cellular access and CRIIM44 you were right. The lady said that since I already have a SIM card in my iPad that was there before I bought the iPad, all I need to do was to set up a plan and I could get on the Internet via AT&T cellular service.

Here is the problem. I told the lady that I just wanted to get the cellular set up so I could use Internet on my iPad when I was on vacation, and then I planned on immediately disconnecting the service when my vacation was over. The lady said that I am not allowed to do that. Is she right?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Here is the problem. I told the lady that I just wanted to get the cellular set up so I could use Internet on my iPad when I was on vacation, and then I planned on immediately disconnecting the service when my vacation was over. The lady said that I am not allowed to do that. Is she right?

Nope, you can cancel any time. Just do everything from the iPad and don't involve AT&T stores, people at the store often don't know how the iPad plans work. If you need help, call AT&T customer service -- I think there may be a specific number for the iPad, I'm not sure because I don't make the calls myself, my partner does, but we've gotten good service when we called.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
OK. It's been a few days since I researched how I can get cellular Internet service on my iPad just for my upcoming 2 week vacation. I ran into a little issue.

I went to the AT&T store to ask about turning on my cellular access and CRIIM44 you were right. The lady said that since I already have a SIM card in my iPad that was there before I bought the iPad, all I need to do was to set up a plan and I could get on the Internet via AT&T cellular service.

when you sign up on the iPad you will choose a plan and it will be setup month by month but with auto-renew. Once you have paid for it just go back and login in the settings and you should see an option to cancel the auto-renew but keep the plan for the month.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
CRiMM44 is right. You can set up your AT&T account the day you start your vacation, and cancell auto-renew right after you set up your account. Just go to the Settings app on the iPad and the select Cellular. Follow the prompts from there, select how much data you think you might need, enter credit card info, and it is set up. Then go back into your account to view it and cancell, but keep account. That last step will cancel the auto-renew. You will get notification when you are about to run out of data , and given a chance to renew.

I think the people at the AT&T store are just trained to sell contracts. I bought my iPad at an AT&T store and the lady told me I needed to sign a 2 year contract. Told her it was my second iPad and I new how to set up the account myself, and she immediately dropped the contract bit and just rang it up.

ajxoxo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
CRiMM44 is right. You can set up your AT&T account the day you start your vacation, and cancell auto-renew right after you set up your account. Just go to the Settings app on the iPad and the select Cellular. Follow the prompts from there, select how much data you think you might need, enter credit card info, and it is set up. Then go back into your account to view it and cancell, but keep account. That last step will cancel the auto-renew. You will get notification when you are about to run out of data , and given a chance to renew.

I think the people at the AT&T store are just trained to sell contracts. I bought my iPad at an AT&T store and the lady told me I needed to sign a 2 year contract. Told her it was my second iPad and I new how to set up the account myself, and she immediately dropped the contract bit and just rang it up.

Hey! That is exactly what I was told by the lady at my nearby AT&T store. And I already made it known to her that I already bought my iPad at the Apple store. She was basically claiming that if I wanted a cellular Internet service, that I had to sign up for either a 12 or 24 month contract, and I wasn't allowed to stop the contract or else pay a fee to break out of the contract! It didn't sound right. I don't know if she was uninformed or if she was just trying to get me to sign a long term contract.

BTW, thanks CRIIM and all you other guys. I got better advice from you guys than I did at the AT&T store. I'd rather go to a store to have it set up since I am such a dummy with this stuff, but now that I got a taste of AT&T's sales tactic, I might just try to get this set up at home myself. Hope it works. I am screwed if I have to call AT&T. They prey on dummies like me.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
If you need to call someone to help set it up , call Apple, don't call ATT.
It is really simple and Apple Care can walk you through it.

You can even take it to an Apple Store and they will help you, just make an appointment first.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
My iPad 2 was my first iPad with a sim. I simply called AT&T and they walked me through the entire process of setting up the account and also told me how to cancel the auto-renewal. I've been using it off an on for over a year. Setting it up when I need it and canceling when I don't plan to be traveling. Same for my husband's. No issues with either the setup or the cancellation of the auto-renewal or activation after as much as 6 months.

One must remember that many AT&T stores are not corporate-owned and I think the salespeople rely on commissions. I never use the store when I can call AT&T directly. If I need to visit a store I go to Apple.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

You can cancel, but it's xgb or 30 days. If you cancel after 2 weeks it still remains active until your next renewal date 30 days from when you first signed up or the allotted data amount is used.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
You are purchasing 30 days of cellular access using the feature on the iPad. After 30 days and it doesn't matter if you use it or not it auto renews for an addition 30 day charge. If you remember to turn auto renew off you just pay for the original 30 day period.
Some stores will try and push a contract. No benefit in doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.