Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Do you think the 4s will still be "in competition" w/ cellphones in the next year

I thought this will be interesting topic

Do most of you think the relatively new iPhone 4s will still be in "competition" with other brand cellphones in the one year time (or year and a half)

I personally think it will because some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.

What are your thoughts?
Iphoneattack is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Do I think the 4S when 15 months old will have competition? Um yes.
ntrigue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Come on guys

What do you all think
Iphoneattack is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #4
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRThiS View Post
The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.
You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"
Iphoneattack is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:23 AM   #6
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"
Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.
I dont lol
Iphoneattack is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
matttye
macrumors 601

I don't see many phones being compared to the iPhone 4, but I mainly follow high end devices, and I'd imagine that only today's mid range devices are on par with the iPhone 4.

There are already phones with significantly better hardware than the 4S, but it's the software that most users like, so it more than likely will still be selling well next year.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Come on guys

What do you all think
Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.
Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.
Iphoneattack is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:31 AM   #11
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.
That's because Apple is a "cool" brand. People think they're cool for buying Apple products. I see this kind of thinking everywhere. Apple are excellent at marketing
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?
Iphoneattack is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:41 AM   #13
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?
? Its all a matter of opinion. It depends on what you need a smartphone to do. This is an iPhone forum. You should be able to answer this question before even asking it.

I'll save you some time. IPhone fans will say yay, however android fans will say nay, and windows fans will say meh.
cynics is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:43 AM   #14
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
ifans will say yay, however android fans will say nay, and windows fans will say meh.
Made me LOL.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Made me LOL.
I don't get it lol

Why would windows fans say meh?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.
What are you on about

Here in Australia it's iPhone all the way

HTC, Samsung galaxy and xperias are like the budget iPhone even when on a Australian service provider site like Telstra, Optus, Virgin or Vodafone to buy a phone, the iPhone has its own link and all the others are listed under "phones"

Heck I don't think anyone calls them mobile phones or cell phones anymore. They call them iPhones lol
Iphoneattack is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #18
doubledown7d
macrumors member

"In competition", no. Relevant, absolutely. I tunes, app ecosystem, and saturation will keep it a good choice for a good while. Also, if the new iphone goes bigger, there will always be people who prefer a smaller experience.
doubledown7d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown7d View Post
"In competition", no.
Why not?

----------

Let me just add that by competition I mean in the eyes of a average joe not phone experts.
Iphoneattack is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:14 AM   #20
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.
b24pgg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Does the iPhone 4 still sell & work well?

Question answered.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.
Yes. BUt many average joe customers don't pay attention to that
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #23
silverdogz
macrumors newbie

The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:16 PM   #24
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdogz View Post
The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Kinda doubt it, we don't use Siri and pretty much none of our friends do either. I don't even use the voice on the GSII unless for navigation and searching while driving.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #25
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Just a note - the iPhone's A5 is pretty much #1 on graphics benchmarks. A5X is #1 in next-gen graphics benchmarks. Apple's OS is efficient, so CPU cycles are not wasted. Therefore an 800Mhz dual core A9 (Apple A5) feels faster than a 1.4GHz quad core A9 (Tegra 3). However, graphics muscle is necessary for great games, so Apple put a blazing fast GPU in the A-series.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone