Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Iphoneattack
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Do you think the 4s will still be "in competition" w/ cellphones in the next year

I thought this will be interesting topic

Do most of you think the relatively new iPhone 4s will still be in "competition" with other brand cellphones in the one year time (or year and a half)

I personally think it will because some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.

What are your thoughts?
Iphoneattack is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
ntrigue
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Do I think the 4S when 15 months old will have competition? Um yes.
ntrigue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Come on guys

What do you all think
Iphoneattack is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #4
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRThiS View Post
The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.
You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"
Iphoneattack is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:23 AM   #6
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"
Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRThiS View Post
Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.
I dont lol
Iphoneattack is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
I don't see many phones being compared to the iPhone 4, but I mainly follow high end devices, and I'd imagine that only today's mid range devices are on par with the iPhone 4.

There are already phones with significantly better hardware than the 4S, but it's the software that most users like, so it more than likely will still be selling well next year.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
Come on guys

What do you all think
Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.
Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.
Iphoneattack is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:31 AM   #11
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.
That's because Apple is a "cool" brand. People think they're cool for buying Apple products. I see this kind of thinking everywhere. Apple are excellent at marketing
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?
Iphoneattack is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:41 AM   #13
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?
? Its all a matter of opinion. It depends on what you need a smartphone to do. This is an iPhone forum. You should be able to answer this question before even asking it.

I'll save you some time. IPhone fans will say yay, however android fans will say nay, and windows fans will say meh.
cynics is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:43 AM   #14
FeaRThiS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
ifans will say yay, however android fans will say nay, and windows fans will say meh.
Made me LOL.
FeaRThiS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaRThiS View Post
Made me LOL.
I don't get it lol

Why would windows fans say meh?
Iphoneattack is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.
What are you on about

Here in Australia it's iPhone all the way

HTC, Samsung galaxy and xperias are like the budget iPhone even when on a Australian service provider site like Telstra, Optus, Virgin or Vodafone to buy a phone, the iPhone has its own link and all the others are listed under "phones"

Heck I don't think anyone calls them mobile phones or cell phones anymore. They call them iPhones lol
Iphoneattack is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #18
doubledown7d
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
"In competition", no. Relevant, absolutely. I tunes, app ecosystem, and saturation will keep it a good choice for a good while. Also, if the new iphone goes bigger, there will always be people who prefer a smaller experience.
doubledown7d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown7d View Post
"In competition", no.
Why not?

----------

Let me just add that by competition I mean in the eyes of a average joe not phone experts.
Iphoneattack is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:14 AM   #20
b24pgg
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneattack View Post
some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.
b24pgg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Does the iPhone 4 still sell & work well?

Question answered.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Iphoneattack
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.
Yes. BUt many average joe customers don't pay attention to that
Iphoneattack is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #23
silverdogz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington,USA
The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
__________________
15" Aluminium Macbook Pro, 2.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, 300 GB HD ; 8GB iPhone 3GS; Samsung Focus S.
man.
silverdogz is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:16 PM   #24
SurferMan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdogz View Post
The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Kinda doubt it, we don't use Siri and pretty much none of our friends do either. I don't even use the voice on the GSII unless for navigation and searching while driving.
__________________
13" MBP 15" MBP jb'd 5 5S..... Galaxy S5 running DynamicKat
wife has now joined the S5 and left iPhones, end of the world as we know it lol
SurferMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #25
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Just a note - the iPhone's A5 is pretty much #1 on graphics benchmarks. A5X is #1 in next-gen graphics benchmarks. Apple's OS is efficient, so CPU cycles are not wasted. Therefore an 800Mhz dual core A9 (Apple A5) feels faster than a 1.4GHz quad core A9 (Tegra 3). However, graphics muscle is necessary for great games, so Apple put a blazing fast GPU in the A-series.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Harold (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1512/3750MHz)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Advice: Good trade? my '10 27" (brand new logic board) -> 11 21" w/ >a year AC kant Buying Tips and Advice 1 Dec 13, 2013 06:45 PM
PANGOLIN "Easily one of the best mobile games of the year." feedtank iPhone and iPod touch Apps 12 Feb 20, 2013 04:27 PM
Will we see 3.5", 4" and 4.8" iPhone models starting this year? saintforlife iPhone 2 Feb 14, 2013 03:15 PM
"I've finally cracked it" - Steve's last laugh at the industry one year on Devil's Refugee Apple TV and Home Theater 12 Oct 9, 2012 10:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC