Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I thought this will be interesting topic

Do most of you think the relatively new iPhone 4s will still be in "competition" with other brand cellphones in the one year time (or year and a half)

I personally think it will because some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.

What are your thoughts?

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
The iPhone 4S isnt even the best phone on the the market now well at least not on paper anyway. There are plenty of phones with more ram, faster cpus, better gpus, and much better cameras. Yes the iPhone 4S will still be a decent phone in 18 months but that isnt due to the hardware its due to the os. My gf still uses a iphone 3gs which runs much better than a lot of higher spec android phones.

You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
You you think the iPhone 4s will be like how the 4 is now? which is old but still "in the game"

Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Yes I cant see any real reason why not according to apple it would be pointless to make a screen any better as the 4 has a retina display already. The cpu isn't exactly slow and there is only so much you can do on a device with this screen size. Cameras will always be improved but its a phone so who really cares.

I dont lol

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't see many phones being compared to the iPhone 4, but I mainly follow high end devices, and I'd imagine that only today's mid range devices are on par with the iPhone 4.

There are already phones with significantly better hardware than the 4S, but it's the software that most users like, so it more than likely will still be selling well next year.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Come on guys

What do you all think

Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Considering apple still sells the 3GS as a cheap prepaid option and it sells quite well still I'll say yes the 4S will still be a good competitor to other phones. Perhaps not at the higher end of the market but as a entry level option yes.

Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Not entry level

Maybe mid to higher mid level?

Many people I ask if they would prefer a galaxy note or any HTC, or Xperia they reply by saying they will take a iPhone 4 over them anyday

And I think HTC, xperia, galaxy note or any other galaxy is a high end phone.

That's because Apple is a "cool" brand. People think they're cool for buying Apple products. I see this kind of thinking everywhere. Apple are excellent at marketing :)

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So is the general consensus for 4s Being a relevant and good smartphone in the next year or so a yay or nay?

? Its all a matter of opinion. It depends on what you need a smartphone to do. This is an iPhone forum. You should be able to answer this question before even asking it.

I'll save you some time. IPhone fans will say yay, however android fans will say nay, and windows fans will say meh.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
It's funny that you no longer see sites comparing new phones to the iPhone: only for size because they all have larger screens.

No one thinks the iPhone is the best phone (hardware-wise) out there anymore and Apple needs to do something about it this October.

Like an old BMW, it's living on past glory, but that won't last forever.

What are you on about

Here in Australia it's iPhone all the way

HTC, Samsung galaxy and xperias are like the budget iPhone even when on a Australian service provider site like Telstra, Optus, Virgin or Vodafone to buy a phone, the iPhone has its own link and all the others are listed under "phones"

Heck I don't think anyone calls them mobile phones or cell phones anymore. They call them iPhones lol

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
"In competition", no. Relevant, absolutely. I tunes, app ecosystem, and saturation will keep it a good choice for a good while. Also, if the new iphone goes bigger, there will always be people who prefer a smaller experience.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
some lately released HTC, Samsung, etc smartphones are still being compared to the two year old iPhone 4 and coming up short or at least even.
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
This isn't even remotely accurate. For starters, essentially every new Samsung and HTC device is 4G LTE-capable, which already makes them significantly better than any iPhone.

Yes. BUt many average joe customers don't pay attention to that

silverdogz

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Washington,USA
The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
The 4S will survive as long as Android or Windows Phone don't come up with a worthy Siri competitor. Siri is one of the main reasons why people want the iPhone 4S.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Kinda doubt it, we don't use Siri and pretty much none of our friends do either. I don't even use the voice on the GSII unless for navigation and searching while driving.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Just a note - the iPhone's A5 is pretty much #1 on graphics benchmarks. A5X is #1 in next-gen graphics benchmarks. Apple's OS is efficient, so CPU cycles are not wasted. Therefore an 800Mhz dual core A9 (Apple A5) feels faster than a 1.4GHz quad core A9 (Tegra 3). However, graphics muscle is necessary for great games, so Apple put a blazing fast GPU in the A-series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.