Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Greetings fellow Apple fans!

As I cruise through the MacRumours forums every day I can't help but noticing that there are progressively more posts about Android based or Windows phones.

I surmise that this is due to the fact that people are panting for something new and zippy from Apple. I know I was quite disappointed to find out that the iP4S was not a remodel. I know there are just as many people who are quite happy with the design and familiarity of the OS. This post is NOT for you people.

I know I am getting bored a bit with the same grid of icons and style of phone, including no change in screen size.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPhone4, but I have to admit I am really starting to want a change and iOS is not all that all the time. I recently watched this video on youtube about a comparison on some of iOS features vs ICS for Android and I have to admit it got me thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

It is obviously done by a Phandroid HOWEVER, there are some very valid points made with the OS.

Some things he got a bit narrow minded imo that he put as a detriment to iOS being the browser issue, I am thinking that for the iPhone he could have easily just opened the Dolphin browser app, and not start off with the default browser if he is that determined to use Dolphin. Also with regards to the search function on the iPhone where he says you have to swipe "all the way to the left" is a bit of an exaggeration as you merely have to hit the home button twice and you have the search feature.

I would be curious to find out what my fellow Apple fans think of this video. Bear in mind that you should keep an open mind about things. I am not encouraging people to jump ship, nor am I promoting Android, I just think that this video opened up my mind a bit to the possibility of different devices etc.

After watching this video, with ICS I think Android is far from the glitchy, fragmented looking device that Apple fans are so quick to shout out. It appears to be very smooth, efficient and an attractive OS.

So for those who are getting a bit bored with the iPhone what do you think of this video?

Peace all!

PS before I consider jumping ship I will definitely wait to see what Apple presents for the next iPhone. Looking very forward to seeing what they bring forth.

WW

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I think he makes some good points. The rest of the videos he makes he uses an older Samsung on android 2.2 because he said some people complained that using the nexus is unfair because most phones don't have ics. He doesn't get everything right about ios though. My background is android and I currently use WP7 and I do find my wife's iPhone is quirky in the way it does things. Each platform has its strengths though.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I have always had iPhones But before I got the 4S I had a LG Thrill. Dont get me wrong its an amazing phone but the battery life was pretty bad. It was a 4.3" Screen. Another bad thing was that LG was not updating the device. The two reasons why I got the 4S was because of battery life and lack of updates. If you plan on going to Android , Avoid LG at all costs.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I had the first iPhone, then the iPhone 4 and was also disappointed by the 4S since my upgrade was up a month and a half after it was unveiled. I tried a few Android phones on AT&T and hated them all (HTC Inspire 4G and Galaxy S2 Skyrocket). The keyboard was trash and the bloatware was annoying. I rooted and flashed different ROMs onto the S2 but still was not satisfied. I even got the 4S to try for a few weeks but it did not feel worth it to me to re-sign a 2 year contract for that phone.

Flash forward a few months, I have switched to Verizon for the Galaxy Nexus and it really fixed most of my gripes with the other phones. I know I will get timely updates (at least more timely than the others) and the stock ICS experience is great. The keyboard is much better and the auto-correct doesn't suck. Chrome on Android is also very well done.

My only real remaning complaint with Android is with the developers. Example, Plants vs Zombies (my favorite game on mobile by far) is not available on the Nexus. I mean come on Popcap games, it has only been 5 months... there is a level of commitment on iOS that Android just doesn't have from its devs. On iOS, it only takes a few weeks max for most games to be upgraded to the new iOS version. Including new retina versions, etc.

If you are a heavy Google apps user than an Android phone is an obvious extension of those services. It works extremely well.

Oh, and battery life on the Android phones I have tried has never been that great either. Much worse than on my iPhone 4. I can't compare to the 4S but I get a lot less life out of the Android devices for my usage than I did with the iPhone.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Not sure how you get "bored" with a phone. It is after all, a phone.

It's a secondary device for most of my needs. It handles phone, messaging and email fine and when I need an app for a task or entertainment, it has these in abundance.

It's not possible for me to be bored by my phone.

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Not sure how you get "bored" with a phone. It is after all, a phone.

It's a secondary device for most of my needs. It handles phone, messaging and email fine and when I need an app for a task or entertainment, it has these in abundance.

It's not possible for me to be bored by my phone.

Yeah but you and OP are two different people. He got bored, you don't. That's great for you but no one asked you, OP made the thread for him.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yeah but you and OP are two different people. He got bored, you don't. That's great for you but no one asked you, OP made the thread for him.

He made the thread expressly for feedback or he would have kept it to himself so he "did" ask. Some people will agree or align with him and some won't. That's the nature of message boards.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't have time to go through the whole hour worth of videos, but scrolling through I see he was clearly biased vs Android, giving the pros and not the cons.

If I saw it correctly he pirated an app during the video...installing "Cut The Rope" (didn't look like the free version) from an email attachment a friend sent him. He didn't seem to discuss the legal ramifications of this, the issues regarding developers not wanting to develop for Android due to the easy piracy this enables, nor did he mention the malware ramifications.

Again, I didn't watch the whole hour, so maybe it was addressed later, but it seemed highly biased to me. He ended that segment saying "This is the beauty of Android", where most people would consider it one of the primary downfalls of Android.

That's literally the only part of the video I watched, and was not impressed. Putting the same arguments in video form do not change the value of the arguments.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I get what the guy in the video is saying. To each his own. But I found myself really annoyed with the part about the map for In-N-Out Burger. He acted as though it would have taken 5 minutes to get the map open in iOS. But all he had to do was click on the little map that was on the page.

However, I definitely agree with the part about ringtones. There's no reason for it to be so complicated on iOS.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Yep, the phone is a tool AND a toy for me. Ergo it is possible to get bored with something. That doesn't mean I don't think it is a great product.

I guess for some reason most people here think I am a guy. Check my sig again. Not a guy, not that it really matters but hey might as well clear that up. Woulda called myself Wrathwizard if that was the case.

Yeah I guess for me the bottom line is going to be to wait and see what the Samsung G 3 puts out and if or when we would get it in Canada AND if they have addressed the battery issue. As well as wait on Apple to see what they are doing with their latest and greatest to be.

I just found the video somewhat enlightening from the perspective of a person who has never really looked at Android and just assumed based on Apple fanbase opinions that it was/is crap.

I agree about the PvZ game though! I love that game!

Peace all

WW

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I don't think the intent of those videos is to say android is better than ios, even though it is obvious the guy making them prefers android. He is simply trying to show that the general thought that an iphone can accomplish things easier than android isn't necessarily true. As far as downloading cut the rope from an email, he may have pirated the game, but that is very similar to how you get apps from the Amazon app store.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I love how illogical or tendentious some of his points are...

1) Customization: True. iOS has little customization. That's what makes it easy for regular users. You can't change the default browser or email client. This is a valid complaint that some people that use custom browsers (tinkerers) have.

2) Click address to go to maps: True that Safari doesn't automagically turn addresses into links. Mail does it. Don't know why doesn't Safari. BUT in Safari you can select the text and put it into maps. The reason he couldn't select the text is that Dolphin Browser (his "tinkerer" browser) didn't allow him to select the text.

3) Customizing the home screen: mixing folders, launchers and widgets in a same screen is NOT easier to work with. In fact it's slower and confusing to regular users. The fact that he is a tinkerer and wants this "flexibility" doesn't make iOS bad. It just makes Android more adequate to what he wants.

4) Search all the way to the left vs in all screens: Tap home twice and you're in search. No biggie. No mess of various widgets amongst application launchers. He's, again, clearly trying to position what he wants as canonically better.

5) Application inconsistency: This couldn't be farther from the truth. He confuses and mixes, like Android does, application navigation and web navigation. He fails to mention that Android even goes as far as mix inter-application navigation into that back button – which is insanely confusing to get booted off an app into another just cause you pressed back to go back a webpage in your browser. iOS is consistent in this aspect: application navigation is on the top left, and web navigation is on the bottom left. Applications that put back buttons on the top right or bottom right are just bad applications. You can't stop people from making bad applications...

6) YouTube video loading in landscape: Uhh... widescreen video... in... widescreen display = landscape? It's trying to show the video in all its glory to you.

7) "With iOS developers can do whatever they want": If Apple rejects developers for not following the UI Guidelines, they're tyrants. If they let them through, they're inconsistent and bad. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... Love it! Also as opposed to the Android Market apps, right? (Yes I'm talking about rogue apps and malware)

8) Not a true multitasking OS: Yes it is. Applications just are time-limited (10 minutes, and all the developer has to do is ask for background time) while in the background so that they don't consume all your battery. His example that the download paused is just one more case where he chose a bad app.

9) You have to double click, hold, then tap the "-" to close all apps: The beauty of iOS' time-limited way is that you DON'T HAVE to close apps... EVER! They most likely aren't running and taking you CPU and if the OS needs memory, it'll close the largest memory hogs for you. Don't waste your time closing apps.

10) iPad should hold more icons: Yes, because I want to clutter my home screen with 40 or so icons. Not to mention it also should mix in widgets so I don't know what's a shortcut or an app launcher, right? Also, how's the amount of icons on your home screen measure if an OS is thought for tablets or not?! Seriously WTF?

11) 720p versus "More like television": Wait, what? The iPhone resolution is more than what's needed for a 3.5" screen. Why add more? You already can't see the pixels in the iPhone 4S! In Android it makes sense because developers are sticking 4-5" screens. Larger screen, larger resolution. And FYI, television is 4:3 not 3:2. Again, taking what's good for the screen size he likes and trying to seem like that's better for everyone.

12) Adding custom ringtone to iOS: Open iTunes, look for ringtone, buy. Done. Don't want to buy? Download m4r from internet, double click to add to iTunes, sync iPhone. Done. What's the difficulty again? The path he thinks is the easiest is the one he wants to tinker and because is the way that Android does it. Another case of taking what HE wants and saying it's the better option.

13) If you're a heavy Google user, then Android is the way to go: Same as "If you're a heavy Apple user, then iOS is the way to go"? You don't say?! I guess if you're a heavy Microsoft user, then Windows Phone 7 is the way to go? OMG! MIND. BLOWN! Seriously this is such a non-point... The same syncing he does via Chrome, the iPhone does via iCloud for Safari.

GOD I didn't want to write all that, but I hate FUD... No mobile OS is perfect right now... Pick the one that's best suited or you and go with it! Don't complain because you have to put your foot down on the ground when you stop your bike. It's a BIKE!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
As I cruise through the MacRumours forums every day I can't help but noticing that there are progressively more posts about Android based or Windows phones.
They don't seem to be increasing to me. There have always been threads on other devices here. Nothing wrong with looking at the alternatives. Perhaps you're noticing more of those threads (a different matter).

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
He's not a phandroid, he's a technology fan. He says so in his later videos. He also made a video about why he thinks the iPad is the best tablet. In that video, he explains why all of his videos are one sided and talk about what Android does better than iOS; it's because there's a lot of unfounded negativity about Android and people don't understand its' full capabilities. For example, lots of people say that Android is very slow and lags when scrolling, so he shows a video of him zipping around the UI with no delays.

He said he's going to make some Android vs. iOS videos later on which will talk more about the benefits and pitfalls of each platform.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
They don't seem to be increasing to me. There have always been threads on other devices here. Nothing wrong with looking at the alternatives. Perhaps you're noticing more of those threads (a different matter).

Good point, perhaps you are right...

He's not a phandroid, he's a technology fan. He says so in his later videos. He also made a video about why he thinks the iPad is the best tablet. In that video, he explains why all of his videos are one sided and talk about what Android does better than iOS; it's because there's a lot of unfounded negativity about Android and people don't understand its' full capabilities. For example, lots of people say that Android is very slow and lags when scrolling, so he shows a video of him zipping around the UI with no delays.

He said he's going to make some Android vs. iOS videos later on which will talk more about the benefits and pitfalls of each platform.

If you don't think this guy is an Android fan I think you should re-watch the videos. It's very clear in the hand language and how he handles the devices as well as some derisive laughter on the more subtle level.

The dude sounds like he is trying to stay on the fence when it is very clear that he has definitely chosen which side he wishes to promote.

Not complaining about it, overall the video was well done.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If you don't think this guy is an Android fan I think you should re-watch the videos. It's very clear in the hand language and how he handles the devices as well as some derisive laughter on the more subtle level.

The dude sounds like he is trying to stay on the fence when it is very clear that he has definitely chosen which side he wishes to promote.

Not complaining about it, overall the video was well done.

He is an Android fan but also an Apple and Windows phone fan is what I meant. He doesn't only like Android.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
8) Not a true multitasking OS: Yes it is. Applications just are time-limited (10 minutes, and all the developer has to do is ask for background time) while in the background so that they don't consume all your battery. His example that the download paused is just one more case where he chose a bad app.
Terrible rebuttal.

If applications are time-limited, that means it's not truly multitasking. In practice, it creates a hassle compared to Android.
12) Adding custom ringtone to iOS: Open iTunes, look for ringtone, buy. Done. Don't want to buy? Download m4r from internet, double click to add to iTunes, sync iPhone. Done. What's the difficulty again? The path he thinks is the easiest is the one he wants to tinker and because is the way that Android does it. Another case of taking what HE wants and saying it's the better option.
Another poor argument. It's clear you are trying to refute every single point he's made, which just won't work. M4R files? Please. The chance of the particular song you want as a ringtone being in m4r format is slim to none. Anyone who thinks custom ringtones on iOS are easier than on Android is kidding himself.
13) If you're a heavy Google user, then Android is the way to go: Same as "If you're a heavy Apple user, then iOS is the way to go"? You don't say?! I guess if you're a heavy Microsoft user, then Windows Phone 7 is the way to go? OMG! MIND. BLOWN! Seriously this is such a non-point... The same syncing he does via Chrome, the iPhone does via iCloud for Safari.
The difference is that Google sync is compatible with practically any platform. iCloud is compatible only with Apple.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Another poor argument. It's clear you are trying to refute every single point he's made, which just won't work. M4R files? Please. The chance of the particular song you want as a ringtone being in m4r format is slim to none. Anyone who thinks custom ringtones on iOS are easier than on Android is kidding himself.

His rebuttal regarding the ringtones is indeed poor. However, it is very easy to add ringtones.

1) Find m4a you like.
2) rename file to .m4r.
3) double click to add to iTunes.
4) sync device.

It's still easier to do on Android but not rocket science on ios.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I like my iphone. Tried android. All those phones dont feel as good in the hand as the iphone does. I like to be able to take my phone out of my pocket, open what I need to, do what i need to, and I am done. I dont need 3 widgets for clock. I also dont need a widget telling me the temperature, sure its there which isnt necessarily bad, but 9 out of 10 times i turn on my phone I am not interested in the weather, so why waste precious battery updating it? Also, a youtube widget? Weather I can understand, but youtube?

I was also confused as to how blackberry isnt a true multitasking platform as he stated in the video? I prefer iOS multitasking to blackberry and android multitasking because I dont have to get some stupid task manager to kill apps constantly because they drain battery.

This is purely my opinion, android works for many, but for me, iOS is where its at.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I like my iphone. Tried android. All those phones dont feel as good in the hand as the iphone does. I like to be able to take my phone out of my pocket, open what I need to, do what i need to, and I am done. I dont need 3 widgets for clock. I also dont need a widget telling me the temperature, sure its there which isnt necessarily bad, but 9 out of 10 times i turn on my phone I am not interested in the weather, so why waste precious battery updating it? Also, a youtube widget? Weather I can understand, but youtube?

I was also confused as to how blackberry isnt a true multitasking platform as he stated in the video? I prefer iOS multitasking to blackberry and android multitasking because I dont have to get some stupid task manager to kill apps constantly because they drain battery.

This is purely my opinion, android works for many, but for me, iOS is where its at.

You're not forced to use widgets you don't like. I have two widgets on my home screen; one to control spotify and another to show my agenda for the next week.

The rest of the room is taken for shortcuts to my favourite contacts and apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.