Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VPofIT

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Florida
I was going to pre-order one but I found 3 in my local Best Buy Friday morning so I picked one up. I was shocked to see that Best Buy had them before Logitechs own web site...

I LOVE it so far. Very nice quality and looks amazing with the new Ipad.

Attachments

• IpadKB.JPG
    IpadKB.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 366

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I was going to pre-order one but I found 3 in my local Best Buy Friday morning so I picked one up. I was shocked to see that Best Buy had them before Logitechs own web site...

I LOVE it so far. Very nice quality and looks amazing with the new Ipad.

does it work with a back cover?

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007

I tried it with my iBlason and it doesn't work properly. The plastic part that locks the Apple Smart Cover on gets in the way. It might work with one of the backs that do not lock the Apple Smart Cover.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Well, :CENSORED: me, they actually sent it to Best Buy before the shipped to the people who preordered it from them directly?!?

Best Buy doesn't have it on their website yet, can anyone you fortunate early birds post an SKU number?

Thanks!

If I don't get notification tomorrow, I think I'll cancel the preorder and get it from Best Buy directly!

That just steams my :censored: clams right open!

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Well, :CENSORED: me, they actually shipped it to Best Buy before the shipped to the people who ordered it from them directly?

Best Buy doesn't have it on their website yet, can anyone you fortunate early birds post an SKU number?

Thanks!

I believe this is the SKU:4974041

My BB had about 8-10 in stock.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster

No listing on the website yet, may call in person.

And give logitech a piece of my mind!:mad:

Oh, I also found BB also jacks the price a bit for orders they get in before anyone else....got me for an extra ten dollars when I found out the had the incase origami cover before anyone else.

How much did BB charge you guys? $99 or more?

Last edited:

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
No listing on the website yet, may call in person.

And give logitech a piece of my mind!:mad:

Oh, I also found BB also jacks the price a bit for orders they get in before anyone else....got me for an extra ten dollars when I found out the had the incase origami cover before anyone else.

How much did BB charge you guys? $99 or more?

My Best Buy never jacks the prices. Paid $99 +tax.

Pretty nice case. It magnetically holds the iPad in the groove.

fredfoobar

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
It works fine with my Belkin Snap Shield, don't have any others to try it against.

2 quick minor (to me) issues:
- It still docks in the magnetic groove even with the back cover on, but it isn't held in place as securely. Without the Belkin back cover, I can lift the iPad and the keyboard goes everywhere with it. With a back cover on, the keyboard still comes up, but isn't held in the groove as strongly. Probably due to the 1mm (?) spacing between the magnets due to the plastic of the back cover.
- The fit and finish on this keyboard is nice. You would think that it was an OEM part the way they fit together, no overhang. It does good as my fake Mackbook Air. :p HOWEVER, once the Belkin back cover is on, the "bottom half" (the iPad itself) is slightly thicker than the "above half" (the keyboard). You can still open it, but the visual aesthetics are lost. Best way to describe it would be like taking a Speck hard shell on a MacBook Pro, but just putting on the bottom half.

My receipt shows the same:
4974041 920-004013 $99.99
LOGITECH KEYBOARD - IPAD THIR

My BB only had two in stock. Well, one now. :D

[edit] It does do the magnetic screen on/off as you open/close the cover [/edit]

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I've been anxiously awaiting a shipping notification, but nothing yet. I cant believe Best Buy already has them! I'll check my local store and then cancel my pre-order if they have them.

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Good for Best Buy

Read the posts above and contacted my local Best Buy. I am picking up my ultrathin tomorrow morning. thanks folks for the news.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I too got my at bestbuy tonight. The is definately a quality product.
However, does anyone notice that the magnets when the iPad is using the keyboard cover, as a cover, cannot support the weight of the keyboard cover? It will just drop off? Or did I get a defective unit?
FYI, I do have the invisible shield clear transparent skin installed

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Well an update on the magnet issue (described above) The magnets are really strong when the case is attache to the iPad from 0 to 175 or so degrees. However, anything greater than 180 degrees or so, it deteaches from the iPad when used as a cover. I guess it was be design....

iarti

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
How thin is this keyboard cover? And how thick would it be if it is attached to iPad 3? I am asking this because I want to fit my iPad with the keyboard in a sleeve I want to use. Thanks in advance.

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Ultraslim is Great

I got my new iPad Ultra Slim from Logitech at our local Best Buy this morning. So far, I am in love. It is sleek, light and well designed. The keypad is easily as effective as the Zagg or Adonit, but you can turn the iPad vertically, which the other two don't permit.

I like that it is so light and that I can see my Gelskin cover on the back of my iPad of my dogs. I like that it isn't bulky and heavy. For some, the protection of the Zagg and Adonit may be a plus. I err on the side of light.

I don't like that there is no way to flip this over when you just want to use the iPad without a cover. It just falls off if you flip it over. It would have been nice if the magnets could have held it in place. Still, I am sending back my Zagg and Adonit. For me, there is just no comparison.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Enclosed are two photos: One showing a side view of the case with an new iPad, the other with the two of them enclosed inside of a leather Targus (iPad1) sleeve. It's incredibly thin and tiny. Hope these help.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 159

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I got my new iPad Ultra Slim from Logitech at our local Best Buy this morning. So far, I am in love. It is sleek, light and well designed. The keypad is easily as effective as the Zagg or Adonit, but you can turn the iPad vertically, which the other two don't permit.

I like that it is so light and that I can see my Gelskin cover on the back of my iPad of my dogs. I like that it isn't bulky and heavy. For some, the protection of the Zagg and Adonit may be a plus. I err on the side of light.

I don't like that there is no way to flip this over when you just want to use the iPad without a cover. It just falls off if you flip it over. It would have been nice if the magnets could have held it in place. Still, I am sending back my Zagg and Adonit. For me, there is just no comparison.

I agree, but it's the best combo that I've found yet. When I want more protection while out and about, I can easily slip them into my targus sleeve or a briefcase. And unlike my Logitech fold out keyboard, it's no problem at all when I want to use my iPad in pure tablet mode. I also had the ghost amor kiosk put a cover on it to match the iPad.

True story from this morning: stuck my head in a judge's office before his morning docket, while he was slurping down a yogurt. He was in the process of running me out until I motioned to his iPad on this desk showed him the logitech....got invited in and was told to shut the door behind me. I think His Honor is probably going to send one of his poor clerks to Best Buy on her lunch break!

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Cancelled my order with Logitech online, and picked up one at the local Best Buy.

The build quality of the device is excellent. The keys are a bit cramped inherently so, but the keys respond in finicky way, or sometimes don't respond at all.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: I was charging the device while I was typing. Took it off the charger and it types great!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Cancelled my order with Logitech online, and picked up one at the local Best Buy.

The build quality of the device is excellent. The keys are a bit cramped inherently so, but the keys respond in finicky way, or sometimes don't respond at all.

Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: I was charging the device while I was typing. Took it off the charger and it types great!

Yeah, it's a tiny bit cramped for my sausage sized fingers, but overall very great. The keys themselves feel more solid than anything but my apple bt keyboard.

Works great on an actual lap, too!

Last edited:

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah, it's a tiny bit cramped for my sausage sized fingers, but overall very great. The keys themselves feel more solid than anything but my apple bt keyboard.

Works great on an actual lap, too!

Yes it does. Actually its a great pair with the iPad. I can type close to my normal speed as well.

Overall, a wonderful keyboard. I like it a lot.

pekoe1111

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Got Mine at BB

Called Best Buy this morning to see if they had one. The somewhat clueless clerk said she did not see any keyboards. Not believing her, I decided to take a drive over and see for myself. I looked on the shelf, moved aside another case, and of course there were three!

Went over to the back cases and found a Belkin Snap Shield, and asked if they could test to see if they worked together. They did fine. I later read CNET's review, where they said it was not as good a fit as it is with the IPad 2. It fits snug enough for me, but whe i tried it with no back case, I saw/heard how it snaps in better.

I do love the look without any back cover, but I prefer I prefer using the back cover because:

1. It protects the IPad back surface when I leave it on a table; and
2. The IPad is so damned slippery to hold by itself, I want something on the back to give it some friction so I hold it without is slipping out of my hands!

Biggest con is that it is an extra piece to put somewhere if I only want to use the IPad as a tablet. I really wanted the keyboard to fold all the way around, but after trying the Zaggfolio, and feeling the weight of this setup, I think I will live with the extra, detatchable piece.

Other con is slippery metal back of the keyboard slides on a table and will likely get scratched quickly. Right now I have it on a magazine.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Maybe a universal Zagg backing on the Logitech cover might help with it being slippery.

Anyone know where I can get a universal Zagg type material for cheap. Not trying to pay $30 for a Zagg, which I will have to cut up anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.