Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Pretty much what the title says. I'm slightly confused as to what exactly is retina pad and what it does.

On my new iPad, I can play iPhone games and blow them up to 2x. Does retain pad make it fill the whole screen and does it also increase the resolution so it isn't blurry?

And I'm also wondering if retina pad is still relevant, or if it is obsolete with the new iPad (which I have).

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I believe that retinapad does what the new iPad does automatically. Before, the iPad wouldn't use the higher quality graphics-now it does.

melva

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
RetinaPad

The RetinaPad is something you add on to the iPad to extend te battery life. It helps the pad last longer so you See it better when the battery would otherwise be low without it.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Pretty much what the title says. I'm slightly confused as to what exactly is retina pad and what it does.

On my new iPad, I can play iPhone games and blow them up to 2x. Does retain pad make it fill the whole screen and does it also increase the resolution so it isn't blurry?

And I'm also wondering if retina pad is still relevant, or if it is obsolete with the new iPad (which I have).

You do not need the RetinaPad extension on the new iPad, besides you can't use it on the new iPad is ply because there's no JB for the new iPad yet anyways.

Kralledr

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
I Sold my iPad 2 to get the , the New iPad and i can say if you can Spend ~100$ more buy it the Display is just amazing :D

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

On my new iPad, I can play iPhone games and blow them up to 2x. Does retain pad make it fill the whole screen

Nope, it only 2x, as does the normal 2x mode.

and does it also increase the resolution so it isn't blurry?

On the iPad 1/2.

Not relevant any more, only on the first two models, for which Apple - so that people purchase the iPad 3 - won't ever add the technology they already use in iPad 3. (Actually, they have even removed antialiasing in 2x mode in the 4->5 switch to make their iPhone emulation even uglier. Needless to say, they've added back it for iPad 3 - in addition to support for inherently Retina artwork and text.)

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008

only if the app has iPhone 4/4S retina graphics in its package

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.