Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hipstamatic and Instagram -- Apple's iPhone Apps of the Year in 2010 and 2011 -- will be announcing a partnership that allows photos taken in Hipstamatic to be ported to Instagram's social network with one click. The partnership was reported by Fast Company.

hipstagram.jpg

It represents the first time Instagram has opened up this platform API to third parties, and marks a move toward letting photos freely flow into Instagram's network from outside sources. "When we launched, it was all about Facebook and Flickr and Twitter, and now we're seeing a huge shift in our user base toward Instagram," says Hipstamatic cofounder and CEO Lucas Buick. "We've never been a social networking company, but we clearly benefit from social networks. So this will be the first app outside of Instagram that lets you into their network. That's pretty cool for us."
Hipstamatic users will have the option to push their photos directly to Instagram, including notes about which lens, film, and flash were used. The photos will be tagged with the attribution Taken with Hipstamatic.

Instagram and Hipstamatic aren't the only photography apps to enable cross-app partnerships. The makers of Camera+ recently updated their app with APIs to allow other app developers to integrate Camera+ into their apps.

Hipstamatic for iPhone is available for $1.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Instagram for iPhone is free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Hipstamatic and Instagram Link Up in Photo Sharing Partnership

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Wirelessly posted

While this is cool, you've been able to export photos from certain apps directly to instagram for a while now. I know this is even more 'direct' but it's all the same crap, really.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Instamatic sounds a little too much like something out of the Grease soundtrack... and besides, it's already taken (Kodak).

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Good to know but Hipstamatic really needs a setup like instagram with filters. Take the picture then mess with the post effects.

I bought Hipstamatic ages ago but stick to Instagram now.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
There's an app for that...

Good to know but Hipstamatic really needs a setup like instagram with filters. Take the picture then mess with the post effects.

You mean SwankoLab?

I like that hipstamatic works the way it does. I have no problem that you don't like the way it works.

It's fun to me to get "one shot" at a picture. Improves my skill at that... I like seeing the picture in my head before I take it. Kinda like a real camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.