Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
and rejailbreak? a glitchy cydia tweak started it all...i tried getting cydia back for a while, the most i can get it the icon, but it won't open.

if i restore do i have to go to 5.1? i wanna stay JB'd so if i have to keep my phone how it is now with its current cydia downloads then i will...it just sucks that i don't have cydia, or able to check for updates.

anyway to start over? suggestions?

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Cool. Will it redo everything or just bring cydia and all the required files back?

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Have you tried booting while depressing the volume up button ?
If it puts you in safe mode, try Cydia to see if it runs
Remove whatever you installed.

is it the same as doing reboot from sbsettings to safemode?

i have the cydia icon but i think everything that is needed to make cydia work is missing. idk. as soon as i click cydia it opens for .5 seconds then closes

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
all i want is cydia... no way to do so? i've tried reccomendations on here but it didn't work :(

anyways to get that loader that i originally had when i JB to get cydia back

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
Easiest thing to do is SSH into your iPhone, download cydia from the inter webs and install it that way and make sure you clean up anything thats messed up.

Right now you can't restore to 5.01

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Easiest thing to do is SSH into your iPhone, download cydia from the inter webs and install it that way and make sure you clean up anything thats messed up.

Right now you can't restore to 5.01

idk if anything is messed up, i was wandering how to get that all back to where it should be

Run redsn0w

i tried so i could just 'install cydia' but it says flip VPN and nothng happens

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Do what applejuiced said

If u updated mobile substrate then u'll be able to put phone in safe mode.
In safe mode just delete the most recent or random tweak.
It happened to me couple days ago and found the culprit. (vuzio)
I guess that app didn't function well and also added the YouTube faster stream tweak. And some random siri functions, vuzio didn't seem to play nice with Siri calling functions.
Well hopefully u got it out of looping as I did, and don't resort in upgrade firmware.

iFix

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
what happens if you "Erase All Content and Setting' from iphone setting reset option? would that restore iphone without updating to 5.1 and then jailbreak again?

teotuf

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
No, that will get you stuck on the apple boot screen and you will need to DFU restore to the latest firmware.
You cant do an erase all on a JB device.
It will get stuck.

false - this is no longer true for jailbroken iOS 5.

instead, it will show the spinning wheel for eternity, until you force a reboot which will bring back to your current jailbroken state, as if nothing has happened.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
false - this is no longer true for jailbroken iOS 5.

instead, it will show the spinning wheel for eternity, until you force a reboot which will bring back to your current jailbroken state, as if nothing has happened.

My bad, Im stupid.
You were 100% right on this one. I had no idea.

Last edited:

teotuf

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah ok:rolleyes:
You go for it then try to do an erase all on a JB ios5.

i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.

if you are going to be so condescending, at least make sure you have tried it yourself and know that you are correct.

i also tried the "reset all settings" option instead of the "erase all contents and settings", which does exactly what you expect it to do - except it erases the settings from most of your jailbroken apps as well (e.g. things like springtomize or SBSettings settings, but not assigned Activator gestures).

The only 2 "problems" i noticed are:

1) some paid cydia apps license gets erased - so you need to go in cydia and reinstall those apps to restore usability. and

2) WeeTrackData's data usage history gets messed up - and it apparently only reloads the "Downloaded" data and not the "Uploaded" from /var/mobile/Media/WeeTrackData/WeeTrackData.plist, which is kinda annoying because even though you can fix the total by adding initial data offset, you can't get the correct download/upload stats until the next month.

As for the OP's problem with cydia, if you have MobileTerminal or SSH or iFile, you can download cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb, put it in root, and use terminal and login as root/alpine (or whatever your password is) and type "dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb" to install it.

if you don't have any of those means to install a .deb file, you can follow instructions here WORD FOR WORD, to fix cydia.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14738254/

Attachments

• cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.zip
    705.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
i did, multiple times, when the 5.0.1 signing was still open to explore different ways of "restoring" without using itunes in case something goes wrong (i'm on the 4S). it gets stuck on the spinning wheel right after and a simple hard reset (hold power + home) turns it back as if nothing has happened. It's just like the OTA upgrades - it reaches an error before it can do anything to actually harm your iphone and gets stuck there.

if you are going to be so condescending, at least make sure you have tried it yourself and know that you are correct.

i also tried the "reset all settings" option instead of the "erase all contents and settings", which does exactly what you expect it to do - except it erases the settings from most of your jailbroken apps as well (e.g. things like springtomize or SBSettings settings, but not assigned Activator gestures).

The only 2 "problems" i noticed are:

1) some paid cydia apps license gets erased - so you need to go in cydia and reinstall those apps to restore usability. and

2) WeeTrackData's data usage history gets messed up - and it apparently only reloads the "Downloaded" data and not the "Uploaded" from /var/mobile/Media/WeeTrackData/WeeTrackData.plist, which is kinda annoying because even though you can fix the total by adding initial data offset, you can't get the correct download/upload stats until the next month.

As for the OP's problem with cydia, if you have MobileTerminal or SSH or iFile, you can download cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb, put it in root, and use terminal and login as root/alpine (or whatever your password is) and type "dpkg -i cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb" to install it.

if you don't have any of those means to install a .deb file, you can follow instructions here WORD FOR WORD, to fix cydia.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14738254/

but i think i'm missing more than cydia...like other files it needs..i can get the cydia icon but when i click it it'll start to open then close and take me back to the home screen/spingboard or whatever

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

I'm gonna try it later on my i4 with 5.0.1 but either way it's hard to trust someone that comes out with something like that with 2-3 posts that just registered.
Doesn't sound right but I will post back....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Wow, you were right:)
I'd like to appologize to the user above.
Just with so many new people latelly posting stuff that they have no idea about or guessing and giving bad info to others I lost faith.
So just to make it clear his post above is spot on.
I used my old spare i4 JB on 5.0.1, clicked the erase all content and was stuck at the spinning wheel. Left it there for 10-15 and it didnt go any further.
Then held the home and power button and came back on like nothing happened still JB and the way it was.
Nothing was deleted either just so others can learn cause Im sure there's plenty that still think the "erase all" will get you stuck like it always did for years. Well with 5.0+ and higher it doesnt mess up anything if you press it by accident.
Thank you.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Wow, you were right:)
I'd like to appologize to the user above.
Just with so many new people latelly posting stuff that they have no idea about or guessing and giving bad info to others I lost faith.
So just to make it clear his post above is spot on.
I used my old spare i4 JB on 5.0.1, clicked the erase all content and was stuck at the spinning wheel. Left it there for 10-15 and it didnt go any further.
Then held the home and power button and came back on like nothing happened still JB and the way it was.
Nothing was deleted either just so others can learn cause Im sure there's plenty that still think the "erase all" will get you stuck like it always did for years. Well with 5.0+ and higher it doesnt mess up anything if you press it by accident.
Thank you.

Hey AJ, yes, a new learning curve for us old guys.
I knew this happened on 4S, but not an iPhone4.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.