Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polliwog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I have begun using my macbook as just a desktop replacement a lot lately and recently removed the battery to conserve the cycle count numbers (the continous discharge/recharge to hopefully prolong its life a bit). Each time I start up I get a message saying my time/date is set before 2001 and how some programs might not behave properly. That is an understatement; as I get basic things that don't work at all. For example, airport. When I connect to the internet via my D-Link DIR-655, it contects, but local only with no internet access. Each time I reset the time, well it doesn't work again unless I restart my machine. And when I connect my WD My Book for Mac for the first half hour to 45 minutes I the drive access doesn't slow one bit, and uses continual processing power (at least 25-40%, while accessing the disk). I presume all of these are due to my date resetting back to ancient times. Is this normal when you remove the battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have begun using my macbook as just a desktop replacement a lot lately and recently removed the battery to conserve the cycle count numbers (the continous discharge/recharge to hopefully prolong its life a bit).
Apple doesn't recommend running with the battery out and you'll lose performance if you do. Also, if you want to preserve battery life, your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. If you want your Mac to run properly, put your battery back in and use it the way it was designed.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

polliwog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
You can read varying accounts about this. Some say that removing the battery is best for the health of it if you don't need its power, rather than trickle charging it automatically every few days or so when the level drops to below 97% of its capacity and then automatically starts trickle charging back to full. I thought there was another internal battery on the mainboard or something, like PCS have to retain BIOS settings/time, etc. But nobody even knows internals of macs to probably even comment on the existance of such.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can read varying accounts about this. Some say that removing the battery is best for the health of it
Removing a battery (the removable kind) is only recommended if storing it for 6 months or more.
rather than trickle charging it automatically every few days or so when the level drops to below 97% of its capacity
It doesn't charge until it drops below 93%. Read the Battery FAQ.
I thought there was another internal battery on the mainboard or something, like PCS have to retain BIOS settings/time, etc. But nobody even knows internals of macs to probably even comment on the existance of such.
That has nothing to do with your Mac's regular battery.

polliwog

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Perhaps it is only best to remove it only in such extended time periods. But 93% discharge before automatic recharge? No way. With my machine it has always been 96% and trickle charging begins to top it off again. That little battery is separate from the main battery (if it even exists on a macbook's board) but at the least it should fulfill the same function as on a pc's motherboard, which would be to keep the system time and date...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.