Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Wow. Those are some high requirements for a game I'd say wasn't that graphically advanced.

LOL, what games rightly have high hardware requirements due to being more graphically advanced?

----------

Too expensive.
Half the price and I might buy it

Way to protest with your wallet!! Just a few more years of you missing out on great games and your message is sure to get through to TPTB.

Or not...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
LOL, what games rightly have high hardware requirements due to being more graphically advanced?

Um... every single game released in history pretty much. The higher the graphics settings, the more resources the game uses. Newer games have nearly always have better graphics than the last, and most likely, higher specs needed to run it (the exception here is games designed for consoles).

The OS X Dues Ex doesn't warrant the hardware required for the graphics it gives. But that is a side effect of porting.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The OS X Dues Ex doesn't warrant the hardware required for the graphics it gives. But that is a side effect of porting.
Don't know why you're on such a downer with DEHR. The graphics are excellent, maybe not quite up to Witcher 2 standard, but almost as good as Skyrim.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Meh, bring it to Steam where people have already purchased the windows edition!

So, Feral ports the game, and then makes no money off of it? For companies like Valve or Blizzard that do their own Mac ports, it makes sense for them to allow the game to run on either platform. For third-party development houses like Feral, TransGaming, Aspyr etc it makes zero sense for them to give their work away for free.

I would encourage folks to support companies like Feral by actually purchasing the Mac version of the game, we're getting a lot more titles and seeing releases in a much more timely manner, and I for one want to see that trend continue.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Don't know why you're on such a downer with DEHR. The graphics are excellent, maybe not quite up to Witcher 2 standard, but almost as good as Skyrim.

This misconception is probably due to the fact that DXHR's graphics are stylized. Even though they aren't "real"-looking, there are just as much fancy graphics effects under the hood.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Um... every single game released in history pretty much. The higher the graphics settings, the more resources the game uses. Newer games have nearly always have better graphics than the last, and most likely, higher specs needed to run it (the exception here is games designed for consoles).

I'm sure you can provide us some evidence for that other than your opinion?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Some game titles new to the Mac were originally released as many as 6 years ago.

It's already been mentioned that this quote was a bit brain-dead, but I also wanted to point out that, aside from the fact that Quake 4 was released for the Mac only a few months after the Windows version, it also was one of the earlier games to effectively use more than one core. So yeah, really poor example. A better one would have been King's Bounty: The Legend, originally released late 2008 and just appearing on the Mac this month.

Isn't this a game that was on Steam? I wonder if they'll release a Mac version on steam so I can download it (since I own the windows version) to play on my laptop. They did with Portal 2.

That's fine for Valve, who gets all the money for Portal 2 regardless of which version you buy. Deus Ex: HR, on the other hand, was ported by Feral, a third-party. It would be nice if all companies were like Valve and did their own ports (which actually work! *cough*Serious Sam 3*cough*), but it makes no financial sense for companies like Feral to put their ports on Steam.

--Eric

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Gaming is what pushes a huge group of people to buy new hardware in the PC world and graphics is the main reason. This has been the case for quite some time. iD software made a number of these games with each successor requiring lots more GPU power for the full effect of what the visuals of the game had.

----------

So, Feral ports the game, and then makes no money off of it? For companies like Valve or Blizzard that do their own Mac ports, it makes sense for them to allow the game to run on either platform. For third-party development houses like Feral, TransGaming, Aspyr etc it makes zero sense for them to give their work away for free.

I would encourage folks to support companies like Feral by actually purchasing the Mac version of the game, we're getting a lot more titles and seeing releases in a much more timely manner, and I for one want to see that trend continue.

Amen.... has it not been for Feral there would have been few if any Mac gameing titles in years past.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Quite enjoyed this on PS3 but felt some of the appeal of the original game was lost. Even though you are supposed to be able to play it as a stealth RPG I kept feeling forced into playing it like a FPS.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Talking about gameplay on a MacRumors game thread??

Quite enjoyed this on PS3 but felt some of the appeal of the original game was lost. Even though you are supposed to be able to play it as a stealth RPG I kept feeling forced into playing it like a FPS.

I'm at the (almost) very beginning - the Sarif Warehouse with the hostages. I'm trying to get through the entire game without killing anyone, but so far it's been difficult for me to isolate the guards and take them down. The guards walk in a pattern where they overwatch each other, leaving only brief moments where you can take them down, then drag the unconscious body away.

Maybe I should just get better at the game.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi All,

We have a patch out soon for a few minor issues some users have reported.

- Fixes an audio track issue that was affecting the final video of the game
- Fixes an issue that was affecting the right-click function on trackpads
- Fixes a graphical error that occurred on some models in the AMD 4000 series of graphics cards
- Improves support for third-party mice, keyboards and graphics tablets

The HD3000 card is not OFFICIALLY supported however the game will run on minimum settings on the HD3000 without a problem. We have completed the game many times on the HD3000 just the performance is not quite good enough (same with the 320M) so instead of having people complaining and disappointed about the odd stutter and extended loading times on these cards we dropped them from the supported list. They will however run on these cards and for your average gamer you should have a very enjoyable experience taking into account the underpowered nature of those cards.

The high end cards like the 6000 series AMD the Mac performance should be pretty close to the PC (in some cases faster, in some slower). I find the FSAA/Filtering options in OpenGL tend to have more of a hit (both in performance and VRAM usage) compared to DX, same thing is true with resolution.

If you have a 27" iMac and have issues try disabling FSAA as it makes little if any difference visually if you are playing at native resolution, the other option would be to have FSAA on but drop your resolution to 720p. Either of these are not visually noticeable and should give you a major boost in performance.

I monitor macrumors for any big issues but if you have a bug please just drop our support an email, Gerard or one of the support team will have a look into your issue. Support answers at Feral are not cut/paste from a spreadsheet, granted some solutions will be cut paste to save us from carpel tunnel but the person pasting usually wrote the answer in the first place. :) If you have something strange it gets investigated throughly by the technical people who made the game on the Mac.

We really care about making great "Mac games" not "Games that run on a Mac" so let us know via support or Facebook if you have feedback.

If you are looking the Extra Trailers, Documentary, Music etc it can be found in the Advanced Tab in the pre-game Options panel. They have been formatted for the Mac with full metadata, album art etc. They are all in iOS compatible formats so will sync to your iPad or iPhone. The Mac version has all the DLC and pre order bonus extras pre installed, this all in one version is Mac exclusive (for now).

Thanks for all the feedback good and bad,

Edwin

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Not much problem on a computer here due to better controls than a console.

I'm at the (almost) very beginning - the Sarif Warehouse with the hostages. I'm trying to get through the entire game without killing anyone, but so far it's been difficult for me to isolate the guards and take them down. The guards walk in a pattern where they overwatch each other, leaving only brief moments where you can take them down, then drag the unconscious body away.

Maybe I should just get better at the game.

Before the mission, you get a choice to take a non-lethal hand stungun. It's noisy to a certain distance but makes it easier. If you do non-weapon take down, wait and first bar will be charged.

tactician1016

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2010
Will this game run on...

a 2010 Macbook Pro 15-inch?
Specs:
2.4 i5
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Any info is appreciated.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
a 2010 Macbook Pro 15-inch?
Specs:
2.4 i5
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Any info is appreciated.

This Mac is supported, although that card is a low power card so you will have to play at reduced settings compared to the new AMD6000 MacBookPro machines. The exact specifications are listed on the buy page of the online stores and at our website.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The 1.0.1 Patch is live for all Digital customers apart from the AppStore.

AppStore patch has been submitted and will go live once it has been approved by Apple.

The patch fixes the following reported problems.

- Fixes an audio track issue that was affecting the final video of the game
- Fixes an issue that was affecting the right-click function on trackpads
- Fixes a graphical error that occurred on some models in the AMD 4000 series
of graphics cards
- Improves support for third-party mice, keyboards and graphics tablets

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Hi All,

The HD3000 card is not OFFICIALLY supported however the game will run on minimum settings on the HD3000 without a problem.

Does the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro fall into this same not officially supported but will work category?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro fall into this same not officially supported but will work category?

It will draw correctly (with the 1.0.1 patch). However I would not want to make any guarantees on the frame rate it won't be super smooth thats for sure. If it is playable you will be playing on 800x500 with everything off.

Edwin

coccodrillo

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
I'm a post-Commodore-Amiga-IBM-PC Gamer and switched to MAC two years ago. I don't understand these complaints since it is quite usual, that if you don't have a high end machine you can't play this game with all settings turned on and with highest resolution (e.g. Crysis).

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro i5 2.53 GHz, 4 MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB.

If you reduce the graphic settings the game runs smoothly!

Have fun!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'm a post-Commodore-Amiga-IBM-PC Gamer and switched to MAC two years ago. I don't understand these complaints since it is quite usual, that if you don't have a high end machine you can't play this game with all settings turned on and with highest resolution (e.g. Crysis).

I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro i5 2.53 GHz, 4 MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB.

If you reduce the graphic settings the game runs smoothly!

Have fun!

Glad to hear it :)

We take our time optimising games for the lower powered cards as the power between some Mac's is quite large. The 330M in the MacBookPro has around 300 GFlops of graphics processing power, the top end AMD6000 series in the 27" iMac has around 2703 GFlops thats about 9 times the raw power. Raw power is not everything but it does help show the cards potential.

Mafia 2 we know of some driver issues on some of the Nvidia cards. We are working on a patch to improve the performance on the title focusing on the NV cards in particular, if someone reading this has a copy of Mafia 2 and would be interested in testing the patch when the time comes drop me a PM.

Borderlands we again have a patch coming with a few improvements like graphics fixes for HD3000, improved performance, Zoom Toggle for Magic mice, ability to disable mouse smoothing for fps fans and added support for over 40 more popular gamepads.

Edwin

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

The requirements are pretty much the same as Windows, apart from the 4GB of RAM requirement. Feral also have to deal with the overhead of OpenGL for games rendering. At least they do a better Job than EA's porting team.

Last edited:

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Non-Lethal

Not much problem on a computer here due to better controls than a console.

Before the mission, you get a choice to take a non-lethal hand stungun. It's noisy to a certain distance but makes it easier. If you do non-weapon take down, wait and first bar will be charged.

I took the non-lethal tranquilizer gun. My theory was that the gun could be used at distance, while close up work would be done with the takedowns. It seems to work - I've had two fairly open areas with multiple (4 to 6) bad guys. Get up in a high perch, tranq gun one of the baddies, then as his buddies come over to wake him up, tranq them.

I've since picked up a stun gun in the Detroit police station armory, so I'll give that a try.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I took the non-lethal tranquilizer gun. My theory was that the gun could be used at distance, while close up work would be done with the takedowns. It seems to work - I've had two fairly open areas with multiple (4 to 6) bad guys. Get up in a high perch, tranq gun one of the baddies, then as his buddies come over to wake him up, tranq them.

I've since picked up a stun gun in the Detroit police station armory, so I'll give that a try.

I take them out up close because in the original game, you only get better with sniper rifle later in the game.

But yeah multiple strategies work in the game, that's why so many love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.