Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well it happened with 128k to 256k but they charged a fee for that. But now that they started offering 1080p instead of 720p, that came free. So both can happen if they offer ALAC upgrades. Hope it happens and hope it'll be free.

There's also iTunes Match, so if you waited long enough you could upgrade from 128 KBit with DRM to 256 KBit DRM-free at no extra cost. So there is some hope.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Therefor, it would meet his criteria. Why the melodramatic sigh?

Because Apple and "Proprietary" are abused to the point where I wonder if people really understand what the word means anymore.

Any proper functioning lossless codec is going to function the same which means if I'm a FLAC or APE honk I can simply burn a CD and then convert it back into whatever I feel more comfortable with.

Just absolutely disagreeing with the OP.

Grin. Hey I'd take 24/192 as well. Makes for a great archival format. Not sure how cheap a "good" DA converter is.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Apple already offer the option to convert any tracks loaded onto an iPod or iPhone to 128Kbps files, so they already accept the notion that many people will have a home library with higher quality versions of tracks than those in their portable library.

Am I right in thinking that you can only convert to 128kbps? There's no option to change that to 256?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I certainly wouldn't mind an ALAC option in the iTunes store.

Someday I'll have my Martin Logan's and I'll want to feed it nothing but the good stuff.

Besides it helps the music industry get more revenue and keeps them from complaining all the time.

I see this eventually happening.

You'll buy some songs in ALAC and have the right to stream AAC+ to your mobile devices.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Am I right in thinking that you can only convert to 128kbps? There's no option to change that to 256?

You used to be correct, but no longer are. There now exists an option in iTunes to select between 128, 192, and 256 for the bitrate for automatic compression when syncing. I have mine set to 192, I find it to be the sweet spot between quality and ability to cram music onto a 16 GB device.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

That's right. As of right now it's 128Kbps only for tracks being loaded onto an iPod or iPad if you use that feature.

---------------------

Edit: Oops! Apparently I'm wrong. I haven't checked for a while so I'll defer to Seinman's more recent experience.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
There's also iTunes Match, so if you waited long enough you could upgrade from 128 KBit with DRM to 256 KBit DRM-free at no extra cost. So there is some hope.

Agreed. I did that using a guide that upgraded lower than 256 tracks and trashed the replacements without touching higher bitrate tracks. That was worth the price, but iTunes Match in general has been very buggy. Some songs don't play and skip to another track, some weren't matched properly, and playlists are a mess. I gave up on it, but I'm glad it updated some tracks.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

There's absolutely no point in transcoding an audio file to a higher bit-rate from a lower bit-rate. At *best* it will sound exactly the same, and take up more disk space.

Take an 8-bit image image, and boost its color depth to full 16-bit/channel RGBA, and save it in the same format. The image will appear completely identical on-screen, but the file will be significantly larger. It works the same way with audio.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Wow, a couple engineering-types forced to admit that waveforms aren't everything.

The world is on its ear.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
You're overlooking one of the key advantages of providing lossless files in the iTunes Store. With a lossless file in their library, a user can transcode to any other format he likes to meet sound quality and storage size requirements. Apple already offer the option to convert any tracks loaded onto an iPod or iPhone to 128Kbps files, so they already accept the notion that many people will have a home library with higher quality versions of tracks than those in their portable library. However, to use that function on content currently available on the iTunes store you will need to encode an encode, which is going to create a whole bunch more audio problems than if you were to encode from a lossless source. I'd go as far as to say that encoding from an encode is really not worth the space saving that it offers. However, this feature coupled with the availability of lossless formats would go a long way to pleasing most of the people most of the time.
Really think about that, though. Think about the AVERAGE user. They have to be made aware of this setting and many will want to know what the numbers mean/mean to them. Most people are very, very untechno-savvy. I think you are assuming way too much about people just because Apple happens to include these options. Apple builds them in for more advanced users, even if they seem to be fairly low-tech solutions.

Giving people lossless music isn't "pleasing most of the people most of the time." It's giving most people a format they won't/can't use and then asking them to figure out how to make do with it while a very, very small minority dance around with glee at getting something they want.

The biggest problem music faces is not whether it's lossy, it's what atrocities have been committed upon it in the mastering stages.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You used to be correct, but no longer are. There now exists an option in iTunes to select between 128, 192, and 256 for the bitrate for automatic compression when syncing. I have mine set to 192, I find it to be the sweet spot between quality and ability to cram music onto a 16 GB device.
You're ******** me. Guess it's time to delete my 256k tracks and go back to the ALAC sitting somewhere.

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
People should go buy themselves a set of nice speakers, a good amp and then we could talk about what to feed the thing.

No, you can't buy any of that in the Apple Store.

Owen Imholte

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
I have tracks in my library where an MP3 encode at *any* bitrate is instantly noticeable due to an inherent shortcoming of the codec. The tracks in question generally feature low-level background noise, such as tape hiss in older recordings. Something about the MP3 codec renders any quiet, white-noise like passages in such a way as to make them sound very garbled, like water going down a drain.

AAC does not suffer from this shortcoming as far as my own tests have led me to believe.

Ooooh! Are they originally sourced material? Can I buy copies somewhere? Feel free to email me, if you prefer.

One thing I should mention I was able to consistently tell was that re-encoding from any compressed codec to another often came out with discernible artifacts. If the history of your material is unknown then it could possibly have been compressed (indiscernible?) and converted back to WAV/Lossless. Then a re-compression would show artifacts. I suppose history is always slightly unknown unless you are the recording artist and have followed a track all the way to production.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Na... it's just another gimmick to garner sales.
Something Apple is very good at creating.
The average consumer couldn't hear the difference.
Essentially one track will have slightly more treble than the other.

Apple needs to offer "lossless" downloads.

I have hundreds of gigs of lossless music on my Mac, but I use compressed files on iOS devices.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
There's absolutely no point in transcoding an audio file to a higher bit-rate from a lower bit-rate. At *best* it will sound exactly the same, and take up more disk space.

Take an 8-bit image image, and boost its color depth to full 16-bit/channel RGBA, and save it in the same format. The image will appear completely identical on-screen, but the file will be significantly larger. It works the same way with audio.

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. I wasn't suggesting converting 128 up to 256 - I know that won't increase the quality - I've been thinking about re-ripping my CDs (the ones I still have) to lossless then converting them to 256 when syncing to my iPhone, but all the guides I've found online show 128 as the only bitrate. Seems though from another reply that there is now a choice :)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, I made it because I was curious if I could tell anything apart myself and the depressing thing was due to either/all
  1. My ears
  2. Audio gear
  3. Source material
I wasn't able to discern anything above 128kbit MP3 (and AAC was at least as good).

I'd be really happy to hear about people's experience and if you have a setup where you can definitely tell a certain track apart that would be great to hear about.

I'm a huge music enthusiast and own thousands of cds and vinyl since the late 70s when I started collecting.

I encoded my entire cd library over the course of a few years...at 192k. One day I noticed a few random songs (I listen to a lot of remixes) that simply dropped some of the beat and mangled some of the effects that were used in the mix (such as flange effect or the process of altering the bass/treble continually on a segment of the song). I listened to the source cd/WAV and it was fine. I re-encoded at 192k and the problem existed still. I encoded at 256k and the problem existed. Then again at 320k and it disappeared.

Granted it was only a few tracks that I noticed, but then I wondered about what % of my collection also had problems like this that I had not listened to recently or caught (and I have excellent ears). So I have begun to re-encode everything at 320k. It will take a long time but there is no lossless format supported by iTunes other than ALAC and I will have investigate that now that folks say is it open source...and I want to be sure it is truely lossless.

I'm very weary of ripping all my music into a file format created by Apple. It needs to be decoded/played on a variety of OSes as well as shareware/freeware/paid apps. 320k isn't lossless but it is better than 192k and also offers all the meta-tagging that WAV does not. I just wish iTunes supported APE/Monkeys Audio which has been very popular on Windows for well over a decade.

At the end of the day, however, the sound is only as good as your equipment (including your ears). To truly appreciate anything better than current CD quality, even the folks who have incredible ears won't hear a difference until they spend thousands of dollars upgrading to equipment that can reproduce the newer quality. And...even with CD technology as it exists today, 90% of the consumers can't even appreciate the quality due to their inferior stereo systems/setup...they would need to invest in at least $3000 for a quality sound system. Let's not also forget, sadly, that a very very high percentage of the world population think that MP3 format is "good enough" if not "great" in quality....so seeing any kind of better quality recordings (aimed to the masses) down the road is unlikely.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I think you are assuming way too much about people just because Apple happens to include these options.......

......Giving people lossless music isn't "pleasing most of the people most of the time." It's giving most people a format they won't/can't use and then asking them to figure out how to make do with it while a very, very small minority dance around with glee at getting something they want.

The biggest problem music faces is not whether it's lossy, it's what atrocities have been committed upon it in the mastering stages.

It's not so much that I'm assuming too much about people, but more that I don't subscribe to the idea of catering exclusively to the lowest common denominator. While I appreciate that most casual users won't be inclined to educate themselves on the differences between encoding formats and the problems of double-encoding a lossy file, that is their prerogative. If they are happy/satisfied with lossy encodes and small file sizes, then by all means let them continue to buy their music in those formats from the Store, but at least give people the option.

Most people, and by most I mean the vast majority, appreciate the difference in quality between taking a photograph of a scene, and taking a photograph of a photograph of that scene. It's pretty much the same principle at work here, and likely the only differentiating factor between that example and the lossy encode issue is that photography has been around for longer, so the average person's sensibilities have become more attuned to it. People's ears will likely become more sensitive to this stuff as time passes and experience is acquired. Even comparative luddites are quite likely to be able to tell the difference between one of the earliest low-bitrate MP3 encodes from the mid 90s and a modern encode available from iTunes, yet this same person probably would have thought that file sounded just like the real thing 15-20 years ago.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Ooooh! Are they originally sourced material? Can I buy copies somewhere? Feel free to email me, if you prefer.

One thing I should mention I was able to consistently tell was that re-encoding from any compressed codec to another often came out with discernible artifacts. If the history of your material is unknown then it could possibly have been compressed (indiscernible?) and converted back to WAV/Lossless. Then a re-compression would show artifacts. I suppose history is always slightly unknown unless you are the recording artist and have followed a track all the way to production.

I'm just heading out for the evening, but when I get home I'll take a look through my library and see if I can find some examples. They are all from commercial releases, though some may be on boutique labels. Either way, I'll do my best to get some names and albums over to you :)

I guarantee you, however, that the original sources in every case were 16/44.1 Red Book CDs, losslessly ripped to FLAC.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Just a suggestion, but maybe if somebody starts a petition at change.com and hopefully a lot of people sign it, maybe we can get apple to start selling ALAC

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What "Mastered for iTunes" does

Just a quick summary what it does, and why it improves the sound (unless you start with rubbish music, where nothing will help):

First, it encodes from 24/96 masters directly to AAC, instead of going 24/96 -> 16/44.1 -> AAC. There isn't much loss in the first step, but there is some. And the loss is noise, which is harder to compress than music, so not having to compress that noise should make the AAC a little bit better.

Second, it avoids "clipping": Clipping happens when your music goes above the limits, and sounds awful. Many record companies convert music to CDs so that it is just short of clipping, using 99.9% of the available space. But lossy compression like AAC won't reproduce the music exactly, so sometimes the AAC might go to 100.1% and get clipped. "Mastered for iTunes" gives the recording studio tools where they can look for clipping in the AAC file, so they stay about further away from the limits, just enough that the conversion to AAC will not give clipped results.

There were some reports where "Mastered for iTunes" didn't sound any better, and it turned out the music was already clipped before it got anywhere near "Mastered for iTunes". In that case the damage is already done, there is nothing you can do.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I would then have to say that you could come rather close :D That seems ok. Not more.

slim pickens lol. I wish we saw more quality speakers in the Apple Store. Even the supposed higher end Bowers and Wilkins stuff is good but lets just say other high end companies are not worried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.