Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
are you an AT&T customer? did u buy the iPhone 4s at full price?

Yes and no. The lady I spoke with didn't really ask me anything. Just asked for the IMEI and that was basically it.

Some reps override AT&T's crappy policies and help customers in spite of what the damn policy says. Some just go by the book. If you're lucky, you get the unlock even if your iPhone is still under contract.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I've gone on the chat about 4 times already and all of them tell me that the unlocks are for AT&T customers only. Has anyone gotten past this?

rsc60640

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
At&t chat rocks!

So here's my story why I think AT&T tech support chat rocks! Apologize for a very long write-up.

I'm from Philippines and my brother who lives in the States gifted me an iPhone 4 he bought from e-bay which is locked to AT&T. I called on 4/13 via 1-800 number and requested to unlock the unit. The CS rep asked for IMEI number, asked for e-mail address, created my case, and told me to wait for the confirmation for potential unlock instruction by 4/20. So 4/20 came and I got no e-mail at all so I called AT&T again on 4/21 to check the status. The CS rep indicated that my case is still in-process and the resolution date was moved to 4/23. I asked the CS rep if he can confirm if the unit is eligible for unlock (since i don't know if it is a clean contract) and the CS rep said that he doesn't see any reason why it wouldn't be unlocked (meaning it is eligible...why can't he just say that?). So yeah, I've waited on 4/23 to get the magic e-mail (while from 4/20 - 4/23, i've been trying the unlocking process couple of times hoping it goes through) and it didn't come. I called again on 4/24 to check status and asked what is going on. The CS rep this time indicated that my case has been resolved and moved to close status. I said, I didn't get an e-mail from AT&T and asked the CS rep if he can double check. The CS rep once again confirmed that the unit is unlocked and case was closed but then offered to resend the unlocking instruction to my e-mail. I did get the e-mail afterwards but still the phone is not getting unlocked. I was so frustrated given that I have to stay up midnight to dawn (calling from the Philippines) just to reach CS rep in the US so yesterday 4/27, I called again the 1-800 number, talked to a CS rep then this time was transferred over tech support. Once again, the CS rep and the tech support confirmed that their records indicated that my unit has been unlocked and told me couple of ways to do the restore. Everything failed..felt sad, frustrated, annoyed, stressed out, as I have this thing for weeks now and it is not getting resolved. I thought for a second that the unit maybe faked, or my PCs have problems (yes, tried it to different PCs). Reading couple of forums, I learned from others that I can verify unlock status by going to IMEI.info and entering my information. So yeah I did try this morning and it indicated that the unit is still locked to AT&T. I felt like even if I call AT&T 1-800 number again, i would just get the same blah blah answer that the unit is unlocked so I tried calling Apple iPhone tech support this time. Got connected to Apple tech rep but pushed me away and said that I should resolve the issue with the carrier. I felt hopeless and feel helpless again....I called my brother in the US and see if he can reach out AT&T for me since he has an account with AT&T. My brother logged on to his AT&T account and reached CS rep via CHAT. SUPRISINGLY, we learned that the unit is still locked all this time and the CS rep was able to UNLOCKED it in just few minutes!

Here's the transcript of the chat conversation.

My brother: Hi, I need help in unlocking an iPhone unit that I gifted to my brother. We called AT&T several times everyone we talked to indicated that the unit has been unlocked. However, we followed the unlocked instructions sent through e-mail but the unit remains locked to AT&T. We thought that the unit could still remain locked with AT&T and we need help verifying the true status. The unit's IMEI number is XXXXXXXXXX.

info: Please wait for a chat representative to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'XXX XXXXy'
ATT CS rep: Hello XXXX.
ATT CS rep: Thank you for contacting us using AT&T Live Technical Chat, and verifying your account in the pre chat survey.
ATT CS rep: I will be happy to assist you with your iPhone today.
ATT CS rep: Do verify, you have tested a non-AT&T SIM card in your phone?
My brother: Yes...I did and it still indicates invalid sim
ATT CS rep: Do you still have your Case Reference Number?
My brother:: Yes I do have but it is under my brother's name (My Name) Case ref is CMXXXX_XXXX3025
ATT CS rep: Thank you. Would you be able to provide me with his account information as well? Mobile number, first and last name and last four of his Social Security Number, please, in order to access his information?
My brother:: He does not have an account with AT&T.
ATT CS rep: Okay, one moment please.
ATT CS rep: Did you receive an email stating that your case had been closed with instructions to restore?
My brother:: Yes. we got the e-mail and also talked to CS rep via phone couple of times... We are a little bit frustrated because the case status indicated it is resolved and closed but still unable to unlock. We thought maybe it is still not unlocked at apple's database. We called Apple directly and we were referred back to ATT.
My brother:: We just don't know what to do.
ATT CS rep: I can certainly understand your frustration, and thank you for your patience. I am further researching your issue.
My brother:: Appreciate your assistance..
ATT CS rep: I am reaching out to a manager for further assistance, thank you again for your patience.
My brother:: Thanks..i am just hanging in here...
ATT CS rep: My manager has been able to access to see that your phone is, indeed, not unlocked. She is researching further as well.
My brother:: awesome news... at least we know the real status
ATT CS rep: She has been able to unlock your phone for you. You can go ahead and connect to your iTunes and restore again.
ATT CS rep Did you require us to send you the email again?
My brother:: THANK YOU XXXX and to your manager!
ATT CS rep: You are most welcome. Thank you again for your patience.
My brother:: Please can you send an e-mail to XXXX@XXX.com
ATT CS rep: I do apologize for the inconvenience, was very glad to help you today.
ATT CS rep: Is there anything more that I can assist you with?
My brother:: no more! THANKS!
My brother:eek:: bye
ATT CS rep: We realize that you have a choice in Wireless providers and thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for visiting AT&T’s Live Support Chat.

------
Moral lesson - don't trust anything that the live CS rep person is saying.. go to AT&T chat tech support. If you don't have an AT&T account, have someone (a friend or a family member), reached out AT&T viat chat and request to unlock the iphone...

I'm glad this is over, my unit is unlocked, and I can move on!

------
First date reported: 4/13
Date resolved: 4/28
Resolved thru: AT&T chat
Others: Unit purchased on e-bay.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
So here's my story why I think AT&T tech support chat rocks! Apologize for a very long write-up.

I'm from Philippines and my brother who lives in the States gifted me an iPhone 4 he bought from e-bay which is locked to AT&T. I called on 4/13 via 1-800 number and requested to unlock the unit. The CS rep asked for IMEI number, asked for e-mail address, created my case, and told me to wait for the confirmation for potential unlock instruction by 4/20. So 4/20 came and I got no e-mail at all so I called AT&T again on 4/21 to check the status. The CS rep indicated that my case is still in-process and the resolution date was moved to 4/23. I asked the CS rep if he can confirm if the unit is eligible for unlock (since i don't know if it is a clean contract) and the CS rep said that he doesn't see any reason why it wouldn't be unlocked (meaning it is eligible...why can't he just say that?). So yeah, I've waited on 4/23 to get the magic e-mail (while from 4/20 - 4/23, i've been trying the unlocking process couple of times hoping it goes through) and it didn't come. I called again on 4/24 to check status and asked what is going on. The CS rep this time indicated that my case has been resolved and moved to close status. I said, I didn't get an e-mail from AT&T and asked the CS rep if he can double check. The CS rep once again confirmed that the unit is unlocked and case was closed but then offered to resend the unlocking instruction to my e-mail. I did get the e-mail afterwards but still the phone is not getting unlocked. I was so frustrated given that I have to stay up midnight to dawn (calling from the Philippines) just to reach CS rep in the US so yesterday 4/27, I called again the 1-800 number, talked to a CS rep then this time was transferred over tech support. Once again, the CS rep and the tech support confirmed that their records indicated that my unit has been unlocked and told me couple of ways to do the restore. Everything failed..felt sad, frustrated, annoyed, stressed out, as I have this thing for weeks now and it is not getting resolved. I thought for a second that the unit maybe faked, or my PCs have problems (yes, tried it to different PCs). Reading couple of forums, I learned from others that I can verify unlock status by going to IMEI.info and entering my information. So yeah I did try this morning and it indicated that the unit is still locked to AT&T. I felt like even if I call AT&T 1-800 number again, i would just get the same blah blah answer that the unit is unlocked so I tried calling Apple iPhone tech support this time. Got connected to Apple tech rep but pushed me away and said that I should resolve the issue with the carrier. I felt hopeless and feel helpless again....I called my brother in the US and see if he can reach out AT&T for me since he has an account with AT&T. My brother logged on to his AT&T account and reached CS rep via CHAT. SUPRISINGLY, we learned that the unit is still locked all this time and the CS rep was able to UNLOCKED it in just few minutes!

Here's the transcript of the chat conversation.

My brother: Hi, I need help in unlocking an iPhone unit that I gifted to my brother. We called AT&T several times everyone we talked to indicated that the unit has been unlocked. However, we followed the unlocked instructions sent through e-mail but the unit remains locked to AT&T. We thought that the unit could still remain locked with AT&T and we need help verifying the true status. The unit's IMEI number is XXXXXXXXXX.

info: Please wait for a chat representative to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'XXX XXXXy'
ATT CS rep: Hello XXXX.
ATT CS rep: Thank you for contacting us using AT&T Live Technical Chat, and verifying your account in the pre chat survey.
ATT CS rep: I will be happy to assist you with your iPhone today.
ATT CS rep: Do verify, you have tested a non-AT&T SIM card in your phone?
My brother: Yes...I did and it still indicates invalid sim
ATT CS rep: Do you still have your Case Reference Number?
My brother:: Yes I do have but it is under my brother's name (My Name) Case ref is CMXXXX_XXXX3025
ATT CS rep: Thank you. Would you be able to provide me with his account information as well? Mobile number, first and last name and last four of his Social Security Number, please, in order to access his information?
My brother:: He does not have an account with AT&T.
ATT CS rep: Okay, one moment please.
ATT CS rep: Did you receive an email stating that your case had been closed with instructions to restore?
My brother:: Yes. we got the e-mail and also talked to CS rep via phone couple of times... We are a little bit frustrated because the case status indicated it is resolved and closed but still unable to unlock. We thought maybe it is still not unlocked at apple's database. We called Apple directly and we were referred back to ATT.
My brother:: We just don't know what to do.
ATT CS rep: I can certainly understand your frustration, and thank you for your patience. I am further researching your issue.
My brother:: Appreciate your assistance..
ATT CS rep: I am reaching out to a manager for further assistance, thank you again for your patience.
My brother:: Thanks..i am just hanging in here...
ATT CS rep: My manager has been able to access to see that your phone is, indeed, not unlocked. She is researching further as well.
My brother:: awesome news... at least we know the real status
ATT CS rep: She has been able to unlock your phone for you. You can go ahead and connect to your iTunes and restore again.
ATT CS rep Did you require us to send you the email again?
My brother:: THANK YOU XXXX and to your manager!
ATT CS rep: You are most welcome. Thank you again for your patience.
My brother:: Please can you send an e-mail to XXXX@XXX.com
ATT CS rep: I do apologize for the inconvenience, was very glad to help you today.
ATT CS rep: Is there anything more that I can assist you with?
My brother:: no more! THANKS!
My brother:eek:: bye
ATT CS rep: We realize that you have a choice in Wireless providers and thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for visiting AT&T’s Live Support Chat.

------
Moral lesson - don't trust anything that the live CS rep person is saying.. go to AT&T chat tech support. If you don't have an AT&T account, have someone (a friend or a family member), reached out AT&T viat chat and request to unlock the iphone...

I'm glad this is over, my unit is unlocked, and I can move on!

------
First date reported: 4/13
Date resolved: 4/28
Resolved thru: AT&T chat
Others: Unit purchased on e-bay.

thats great! i am also holding off this chat thingy untill my resolution date!

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Non ATT customers can chat at att.com/global look for chat link in the top right corner.

not working dude! the rep said this!

Since I am unable to authenticate your account, you will need to contact AT&T Customer Care at 1(800) 331-0500 or 1(916) 843-4685 and Press Option #1 to have your iPhone unlocked. Agents there will be able to provide assistance.

pam1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
What do u mean? What did they say when u called them?

:( Yesterday, I tried and all of them remains to wait 'till tomorrow... one woman over the phone told me.. " we're not unlocking iphones anymore, I said to her, ah? I have a case already, since april 17th.. when did this happen!? she says.. before you calling OMG,,, :( so sad..no customer service at all, its fine we dont have an at&t account but at least for me I bought them on apple store and locked by them, either way we are customers from them. my family bought 5 iphones.. paying full price,, can someone with an account want to help me? If no.. any advice how I can get this done.. ?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
:( Yesterday, I tried and all of them remains to wait 'till tomorrow... one woman over the phone told me.. " we're not unlocking iphones anymore, I said to her, ah? I have a case already, since april 17th.. when did this happen!? she says.. before you calling OMG,,, :( so sad..no customer service at all, its fine we dont have an at&t account but at least for me I bought them on apple store and locked by them, either way we are customers from them. my family bought 5 iphones.. paying full price,, can someone with an account want to help me? If no.. any advice how I can get this done.. ?

which fone number did u try?

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada

Ouch, can anyone else confirm they're no longer taking unlock requests?

pam1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
which fone number did u try?

This one 1-800-331-0500 .... and by the way that was talking the lady I think she was messed up with me... anyways if someone want to try let me know.. or send me an email I can give my request number..

pam.barboza@live.com

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I just had success with getting a 3G unlocked. I still haven't received an email from AT&T with the instructions, but I used the online chat yesterday roughly at 12:00 p.m. MST and today at 2:00 p.m., did a restore in iTunes and received the unlock message. The chat representative said 7-10 days, so I was surprised that it worked already.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Guys I have been a prepaid Customer of AT&T for over 1 year and for that reason I can get a request processed for my iPhone but the thing Is about a week n half ago I called AT&T to check the "eligibility" of the iPhone 4 and they said it will be unlock able after July 29 because the person I bought it from, their contract ends end of July of the iPhone 4.....I am ok with that but I recently bought a iPhone 4S from someone used and today I called AT&T to ask about its eligibility and they said they don't know.......they said the system isn't showing anything.....so then I gave the rep the IMEI number of my iPhone 4 to which the rep about week n half ago was able to tell me the unlock status about and now the current rep that I spoke to today told me he doesn't see anything not he system regarding eligibility......he said you will have to open a ticket to check....any help would be great.

As for my iPhone 4 I know its going to be eligible my self because I bought it from a friend who got it within a week or two of launch so I have the heads up about it.....iPhone 4S not so much:(

NVMYZ28

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I just had success with getting a 3G unlocked. I still haven't received an email from AT&T with the instructions, but I used the online chat yesterday roughly at 12:00 p.m. MST and today at 2:00 p.m., did a restore in iTunes and received the unlock message. The chat representative said 7-10 days, so I was surprised that it worked already.

Similar result. I called them Friday night - tried this afternoon (had tried saturday night and no luck) and my unlock went through, no email from ATT yet though. Looks like they are keeping on top of the requests pretty decently.

j3ts83

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
So I just bought an iPhone 4S but have t-mobile so hopefully they are able to unlock it for me. I called last night to unlock an iPhone 4 and the rep wanted to know where I got it from, so I told him I bought it from my friend. Then the rep wanted to know the kids name and number to call him lol. So what excuse can I use for the iPhone 4S? thanks

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
So I just bought an iPhone 4S but have t-mobile so hopefully they are able to unlock it for me. I called last night to unlock an iPhone 4 and the rep wanted to know where I got it from, so I told him I bought it from my friend. Then the rep wanted to know the kids name and number to call him lol. So what excuse can I use for the iPhone 4S? thanks

Just do the same for iphone 4s! I unlocked a 4s like this! Just give it a try!

pam1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
hi guys, my expected date was yesterday, I just make a restore and nothing yet.. I got Invalid sim :( ... any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.