Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ken94538

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Hi guys, today I visited my local Fry's.

All macbook pro are sold out, and they are selling 17 MacBook pro for only 1799 as a clearancece price.

And the manager told me that they will have new models in 2 weeks. Ivy bridge CPU.

:D

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Haha he has no clue. I'm the manager of an electrical retailer and we don't find out when we are getting new apple models until they arrive at the dock on launch day. No delivery bookings or invoice. We don't even know what models we receive until we open the boxes on launch day

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Apple manager has no clue about new products nor release dates.
All I can say is he is bluffing.

Only the few top people in Apple know the actual release date.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Not saying its not possible, but probably not. I don't think the local frys manager knows, he was just trying to be smart;-)

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
I'm going with everybody else, but there's one thing I don't understand. If an individual is a retailer, they want to know what they'll be selling, for what price, in what quantities, with what kind of margin. If it works as you say, one day the shipment just randomly appears out of nowhere with no warning? How would the stores be ready for them, know the pricing, all the other details, etc? Apple doesn't just ship out random amounts of computers to random stores. There has to be some sore of communication going on is all I'm saying. I'm not trying to say he knows everything, but there must be some type of information describing profit margin and shipment date so that they can be ready and decide how many units they want, and what types of units they want.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Looking at Fry's online now, certain MBP's (it looks like older models)are unavailable in store, while the more recent ones are pretty much widely available.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
The way apple stock works is by allocation. The amount of stock you receive is determined by how many units you sold in the months prior. We don't receive invoices until after the launch to stop info leaks, and pricing is only updated in our systems the day of the launch normally. This is done by one member of senior management who is on the apple steering commity the day of the launch. Whether or not they are aware of the pricing prior I don't know but I doubt it.

But I'm positive the salesperson at frys doesn't know dick.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Hi guys, today I visited my local Fry's.

All macbook pro are sold out, and they are selling 17 MacBook pro for only 1799 as a clearancece price.

And the manager told me that they will have new models in 2 weeks. Ivy bridge CPU.

Frys is selling the early 2011 17'' models for 1799, not the current models. All current MBP models are available from Frys online, and also available for store pickup in my Chicagoland store.

Still, it would be nice if the manager is right. Thanks for sharing!

ken94538

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
My local Fry's even have NO MacBook on display.
That means new model is coming, and the manger just confirmed.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
This happens every time.

Macrumors et al. post rumors from Digitimes about new models coming.

People ask Apple Store employees or other store employees.

Those employees read Macrumors and other sites so they say that there might be new models coming soon.

People return to Macrumors to post about their new-found confirmation of new models.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
This happens every time.

Macrumors et al. post rumors from Digitimes about new models coming.

People ask Apple Store employees or other store employees.

Those employees read Macrumors and other sites so they say that there might be new models coming soon.

People return to Macrumors to post about their new-found confirmation of new models.

So true

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
The strange thing is, the retail people actually believe these things. They dream them or just make them up on the spot, believing that any answer is better than no answer.

Frankly, it amazes me how people actually believe anyone about anything

heeby

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
What were the specs on the 17" for 1799? There aren't even refurbs that cheap normally. I would snap that up if it is a 2011 model...but sadly no Fry's anywhere close.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A store Manager told you this? I'll let you into a little secret of my own. No Names etc. But the Director of sales for Europe is a personal friend of mine, you may choose to believe or not, but it's a fact.

He won't tell me when the new models are to be released either, so a Manager in a retail outlet?...err no.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
A store Manager told you this? I'll let you into a little secret of my own. No Names etc. But the Director of sales for Europe is a personal friend of mine, you may choose to believe or not, but it's a fact.

He won't tell me when the new models are to be released either, so a Manager in a retail outlet?...err no.

He won't tell you or he doesn't know? Because that's two different things.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
He won't tell you or he doesn't know? Because that's two different things.
One would presume the Apple guy wouldn't be able to answer that question. Apple's pretty tight on security about new products.

Monty Pavement

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2006
Scotland
I'm sure the original poster posted with good intentions, but a few years ago, when the white iphone had only just launched in the UK, I phoned my nearest Carphone Warehouse to ask if they had any in stock.

The guy I got on the phone passed me to his manager who told me in the most patronising and condescending tones that there was NO white iphone available in the UK, and it would defintely not be available until at least after Christmas (this was late summer I seem to recall).

I politely replied that he should check the front page of his own companies web site where a large banner boasted that they had new in stock the white iphone! I had one in my hands thirty minutes later.

So I suspect any retail estimates will be based on word of mouth or rumours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.