Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
$700 iphone

Last time I checked, the iPhone was $199 for the base 16GB and $399 for 64GB. Where is this $700 figure coming from? The iPhone (16GB) cost $196 to make and the 64GB cost $245 to make, way off from $700... Just saying...:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Last time I checked, the iPhone was $199 for the base 16GB and $399 for 64GB. Where is this $700 figure coming from? The iPhone (16GB) cost $196 to make and the 64GB cost $245 to make, way off from $700... Just saying...:rolleyes:
Unlocked perhaps?

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Since I got my 4S in October last year, I have not dropped it even once. No screen protectors, too. I love the iPhone's design and would never slap a case on it.

It's more about being careful and gentle. I love my iPhone. Wouldn't do anything to compromise it's beautiful design.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
By any phone off contract and most run that high

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s
Seeing as no contract phones run way more than $700, I say he was being conservative.

The average user probably is on contract that doesn't change the fact the most expensive off contract phone is $850.
THANK YOU!

BTW people, I don't care how careful you are accidents happen.. and they are called accidents for a reason.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I wonder if the iPhone 5 will be glass. I'm currently using a Blackberry and I drop the phone so many times that it is still in good condition. Even last night I did - I was talking to my friend and I dropped the phone. I have very butter fingers. I'll check out the cases though

Your phone is in good condition because you drop it?

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Your phone is in good condition because you drop it?

Could you not read my last post? Let me bold it for you.

I wonder if the iPhone 5 will be glass. I'm currently using a Blackberry and I drop the phone so many times that it is still in good condition. Even last night I did - I was talking to my friend and I dropped the phone. I have very butter fingers. I'll check out the cases though

ApplesAndOrangs

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011

Haha JAT is right actually, you used 'that' incorrectly. Threw me off as well

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

The $700 was a generous low estimate. At Verizon you can buy the 16gb for $200, the 32gb for $300 and the 64gb for $400. That is only if you sign up for a 2 year contract. If you are in a contract already the prices are $650, $750 and $850 respectively.

So if you are looking at the piece of technology BY ITSELF, it is a $650-$850 + tax item. It is not $200. The only reason you get to pay that is because you "sell your soul" for 2 years and pay thousands in voice/text/data bills.

That is why when people treat the phone foolishly it is a big deal, because you can't just replace it an infinite number of times for $200. You can get a discount with insurance or applecare+ but then you are paying more for the phone in the first place anyways.

The phone is a $700+ device but the American public are fooled into thinking it's "just" $199. No, it's three to four times that price and so don't toss it around like a frisbee.....:rolleyes:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Would a case even protect against damage like that? (With reference to the OP's image). What did you do, run a car over it? :confused:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Half the people here sound like the kids at school who mocked me for wearing a bike helmet when I went cycling.

"Why are you wearing a helmet?"

"Incase I fall off or crash"

"Just don't fall off or crash then"

You can't just say "be more careful". The ammount of times my iPhone has fallen out of my hands, or slipped out when I was holding it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Try silicon cases. Better grip. If I used my son's phone (some slippery LG), I wouldn't be able to hold it, either.

And try "and yet" instead of "that" in the above sentence.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I still have/am using my iPhone 1 (or 2G if you prefer). I've been using it since 2007 without major issues.

What in the world are you people doing to your phones? How do you drop something with a price tag on it like the iPhone has?

chesbak

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
I've escaped so far unscathed.. however I believe it's only a matter of time based off the amount of times it drops out of my shirt pocket when I bend over. I have a clear plastic coating on it.. but I refuse a huge Ottercase or whatever.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you must know, I had finished putting the item in the bin when the phone rang. When I was adjusting the phone on my face, the phone slipped from my hand; it fell into the open bin. It wasn't a matter of thoughtless behavior, as you may have erroneously assumed.
Anyway, putting the phone in a pocket is irrelevant, because, as I mentioned in my previous post, my iphone fell out of my jacket. Putting it in my pants pocket is not really an option because the pockets are short (or non-existent in some cases) and the bulge is unattractive.
That's my entire point. Why was your phone in your hand while you were recycling? No pocket/purse/briefcase ect to put it in? Did you really need to have your phone with you while doing your recycling?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
While I and many other women appreciate a bulge when with our guys, I find the same guys tend to be freaked out when we're the ones with the bulge. :p
Anyway, for me, I like Benjy91's bike helmet analogy. I use a case, because accidents happen. Whether it's my fault or that of the person who bumped into me, the result is still the same.
I've found that the ladies like a bulge ;)

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Half the people here sound like the kids at school who mocked me for wearing a bike helmet when I went cycling.

"Why are you wearing a helmet?"

"Incase I fall off or crash"

"Just don't fall off or crash then"

You can't just say "be more careful". The ammount of times my iPhone has fallen out of my hands, or slipped out when I was holding it.

This example is extremely flawed. It is much more dangerous to ride bike, especially near streets with cars/trucks, than it is to HOLD A PHONE. So yes, wear a helmet when you are riding a 35 lb piece of metal near 5000 lb vehicles, but no, you don't need a case for a phone if you are careful with it.

You know how you check both ways while riding a bike before crossing the street? Same thing. When you want to grab something, FIRST CHECK "am i also holding my phone?" If so, put the phone down or in your pocket. THEN grab that sammmmmmich!!

----------

I've escaped so far unscathed.. however I believe it's only a matter of time based off the amount of times it drops out of my shirt pocket when I bend over. I have a clear plastic coating on it.. but I refuse a huge Ottercase or whatever.

again, shirt pocket may be convenient but it is a foolish way to "protect" a $700+ piece of technology from harm since you can bend over and it just fall out and break. You can't do that with a pants pocket unless you are jumping on a trampoline or something...

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
This example is extremely flawed. It is much more dangerous to ride bike, especially near streets with cars/trucks, than it is to HOLD A PHONE. So yes, wear a helmet when you are riding a 35 lb piece of metal near 5000 lb vehicles, but no, you don't need a case for a phone if you are careful with it.

You know how you check both ways while riding a bike before crossing the street? Same thing. When you want to grab something, FIRST CHECK "am i also holding my phone?" If so, put the phone down or in your pocket. THEN grab that sammmmmmich!!

----------

again, shirt pocket may be convenient but it is a foolish way to "protect" a $700+ piece of technology from harm since you can bend over and it just fall out and break. You can't do that with a pants pocket unless you are jumping on a trampoline or something...

The fact of the matter is, phones fall out of hands. That's reality, unlike your perfect world. Based on that, the best thing to do to protect the phone is energy management with a decent case.

Even old flip phones tended to like concrete, the difference was that they didn't break. I had one flip down the stairs one time, no damage except some scratches. Still works to this day. An unprotected iPhone wouldn't survive, and I'm afraid that my Incipio case wouldn't protect against that either, and that's why I ordered an Otterbox. Plus, the holster is really awesome.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

I dont find the example flawed, both sides you've got people saying "Well just be careful!" or "Just don't drop it/crash your bike".

Both of these things are often unavoidable at the moment it happens, there have been times where I've been holding my phone and texting on it, I'm not carrying anything else, I'm not walking, I'm just standing still and texting, and I have suddenly lost my grip on the phone. Also what if someone bumps into me and I drop my phone? That has happened to me before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.