Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
CTHartford
macrumors newbie

Question newbie - How to upgrade from iPhone 4 on 4.1 (Jailbroken) to 5.0.1 instead of 5.1?

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 that is jailbroken and unlocked. Is there anyway I can upgrade to 5.0.1 and if so can I still unlock it? Unlocking it is not an absolute necessity, but need to upgrade and Jailbreak. Any advise on how to go about it will be greatly appreciated, especially since 5.0.1 is no longer the official iOS.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CTHartford; Apr 30, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
CTHartford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHartford View Post
I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 that is jailbroken and unlocked. Is there anyway I can upgrade to 5.0.1 and if so can I still unlock it? Unlocking it is not an absolute necessity, but need to upgrade and Jailbreak. Any advise on how to go about it will be greatly appreciated, especially since 5.0.1 is no longer the official iOS.

Thanks in advance.
If you're already jailbroken - make sure you have SHSH blobs and APTicket for 5.0.1 saved, then follow the tutorial on iClarified.com under tutorials > Jailbreak > (select appropriate tutorial for your computer type and device).

If you do NOT have SHSH blobs and APTicket saved, you're stuck updating to 5.1 and doing a tethered jailbreak (unless that turns you off), or staying on your current firmware. I personally went this route the other day. Haven't messed with it much, but it seems to be stable and running smoothly.

Good luck.
ZCherub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3
CTHartford
macrumors newbie

Cool Thanks for the reply..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post
If you're already jailbroken - make sure you have SHSH blobs and APTicket for 5.0.1 saved, then follow the tutorial on iClarified.com under tutorials > Jailbreak > (select appropriate tutorial for your computer type and device).

If you do NOT have SHSH blobs and APTicket saved, you're stuck updating to 5.1 and doing a tethered jailbreak (unless that turns you off), or staying on your current firmware. I personally went this route the other day. Haven't messed with it much, but it seems to be stable and running smoothly.

Good luck.
ZCherub,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if I have the saved SHSH. I am not sure if I want to go with the tethered jailbreak, will wait it out. Hope the dev-team will come out with one soon.

Appreciate your assistance.
CTHartford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
ZCherub,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if I have the saved SHSH. I am not sure if I want to go with the tethered jailbreak, will wait it out. Hope the dev-team will come out with one soon.

Run your phone through Tiny Umbrella and it will tell you which shsh save on your phone.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
ZCherub,

Either way. If you're good about managin your battery & not installing Cydia packages unless you're near your computer, tethered isn't a bad option - enjoy!
Old May 7, 2012, 10:07 AM   #6
jsquared
macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as the OP and a little confused.

Background info:
-Currently JBd on 4.2.1 with ATT so I don't need to be unlocked.
-I'd like to update to at 5.0 (Bc of cool apps)
-Cydia shows me my SHSH are saved from 4.0 - 5.1

Can I updated to 5.0 and keep my untethered JB?

"Better to bring up an existing thread than waste a new one"
Old May 7, 2012, 10:11 AM   #7
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP and a little confused.

Background info:
-Currently JBd on 4.2.1 with ATT so I don't need to be unlocked.
-I'd like to update to at 5.0 (Bc of cool apps)
-Cydia shows me my SHSH are saved from 4.0 - 5.1

Can I updated to 5.0 and keep my untethered JB?

"Better to bring up an existing thread than waste a new one"
Do you show 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saves? Did you save your APTicket? If the answer to either of these is "no", you'll have to leave it as is, or update to 5.1 & do the tethered JB (what I did, & I'm happy w/ it so far).
Old May 7, 2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post
Do you show 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saves? Did you save your APTicket? If the answer to either of these is "no", you'll have to leave it as is, or update to 5.1 & do the tethered JB (what I did, & I'm happy w/ it so far).
I assume since he said 4.0 through 5.1, 5.0.1 would be included.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:31 AM   #9
jsquared
macrumors 6502

Yes I have 5.0.1 SHSH saved. But here might be my downfall....what is an APticket? Not sure if I have ever received the APticket bc I've never been on 5.X.X

Last edited by jsquared; May 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
jsquared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
I assume since he said 4.0 through 5.1, 5.0.1 would be included.
I would, too - but we all know what happens when you assume...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquared View Post
Yes I have 5.0.1 SHSH saved. But here might be my downfall....what is an APticket? Not sure if I have ever received the APticket bc I've never been on 5.X.X
I think the 5.0.1 ship has sailed for you, then - sorry. Again, 5.1 tethered JB is a good option. Just keep an eye on your battery (have a car charger, etc.) & don't mess w/ Cydia tweaks/apps when away from your computer & you'll be fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks