Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
quintendehaas
macrumors newbie

Can I use Cloud Services as an external drive?

Hi there,
I own a 13" MacBook Pro with a 60GB SSD. I managed to fit everything on this small drive except for my Aperture Library (ca. 25GB). Is there a Cloud Service that I can use to store my Aperture Library in?
I already tried an upgraded Dropbox account (50GB) but in hindsight I learned that you need as much space on you SSD as you use on your Dropbox folder because Dropbox stores a 'copy' of the content on your SSD. Since there is only 12GB of free space on my SSD this didn't work out.

Is there a Cloud Service that I can use just like an external hard drive so that I can store my Aperture Library there and actually use it to see my photos?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Quinten
quintendehaas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
NazgulRR
macrumors regular

Yes, bitcasa is for use just like that! I.e. it acts as an external hard drive over the internet.

http://www.bitcasa.com/

In beta only atm though. Look it up on youtube how it works.
NazgulRR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
soulniz
macrumors member

iCloud?
soulniz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
WhoisMedina
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintendehaas View Post
Hi there,
I own a 13" MacBook Pro with a 60GB SSD. I managed to fit everything on this small drive except for my Aperture Library (ca. 25GB). Is there a Cloud Service that I can use to store my Aperture Library in?
I already tried an upgraded Dropbox account (50GB) but in hindsight I learned that you need as much space on you SSD as you use on your Dropbox folder because Dropbox stores a 'copy' of the content on your SSD. Since there is only 12GB of free space on my SSD this didn't work out.

Is there a Cloud Service that I can use just like an external hard drive so that I can store my Aperture Library there and actually use it to see my photos?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Quinten
You could delete Dropbox from your mac and just use the website but then you could only have access to anything.

I currently use SkyDrive. Since I had an Xbox and Windows Live ID since 2006, I was upgraded to 25 GB free. Standard storage is 7GB free.
WhoisMedina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:40 PM   #5
scott.n
macrumors member

It won't work. Aperture (and iPhoto and iMovie) libraries only support HFS+ formatted drives.

You'll need to use an external HDD or OptiBay.
scott.n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Edited because I misread the question and my original post didn't address the OP's question.

Last edited by Mojo1; Apr 29, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Mojo1 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
GuitarG20
macrumors 65816

OP, sounds like it'd be easiest for you to just get an external hard drive and connect that when you need to get in the library... I know it's added bulk, but if you have a workstation set up it's perfectly fine. And, this way you don't need to have internet access to get to the files, just the hard drive. And 25GB is small enough to even just have a flash drive if you want to do it that way.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Yeah, storing photos online would be S L O W even if you could get Aperture to work.

Try a 64GB thumbdrive. Or a SD card, since you probably use them in a camera anyway.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 06:52 AM   #9
quintendehaas
macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Thanks for all your suggestions. Pretty strange there's nothing that suits my needs perfectly with all these cloud developments. I'll just revert back to the 'old' ways of storing stuff.

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Do you need your cd-drive that much? Another alternative would be to install another HDD, and rely on an external drive for the times you need to read or burn a CD.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:20 AM   #11
quintendehaas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
Do you need your cd-drive that much? Another alternative would be to install another HDD, and rely on an external drive for the times you need to read or burn a CD.
I'm getting the new MacBook Pro when it comes out so I was looking for a solution for the time being. So won't be a problem anymore in the future.

Too big of a hassle to remove ODD.

Thanks anyway!
Old May 1, 2012, 08:51 AM   #12
edk99
macrumors 6502a

If it is short term then just get a thumb drive.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintendehaas View Post
I'm getting the new MacBook Pro when it comes out so I was looking for a solution for the time being. So won't be a problem anymore in the future.

Too big of a hassle to remove ODD.

Thanks anyway!
If you're buying a new computer soon, I'd encourage you to buy a USB external hard drive.

They're very useful for a variety of purposes. Physically small & light, extremely low priced per GB, I use one regularly.

Western Digital builds a nice selection. Google them, or go to www.newegg.com
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
loriayre
macrumors newbie

Use Dropbox with "selective sync"

You can actually use the "selective sync" feature in Dropbox that allows you to deselect computers that will store copies of certain files or folders. I haven't used it but info about it is here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/175/en
loriayre is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro