Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steed1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hi, i am new to the world of Apple and need advice please. I plan on buying an Ipad soon but need to know the actual viewable area of a movie (wide screen) when shown in the 4:3 format. In other words, how much real estate does the picture have after considering the black bars on top and bottom of screen?
I know the Ipad is 9.7 or close to that diagonally. Obviously black bars take up a fair chunk of that when watching a 2:35 widescreen movie though. Could you kind members show me pictures of a movie on the Ipad just to get an idea of what it will look like please?

My second question is about the rumored Ipad Mini. Will this device be next to useless showing movies on. (too small) If the big Ipad has a lot of real estate stolen by black bars, wont that mean the mini will be close to the iphone in terms of viewing area or am i getting confused?
Would the mini be 4:3 ratio or 3:2 similar to iphone?

Sorry about all the questions but i am a huge movie buff and need to know i could enjoy a movie on a device bigger than a phone. (i have tried watching on a phone but it is too small for me. however, on a psp i could just about enjoy the movie on a 4.5 screen!
I normally watch all my films on a big tv (bluray, Netflix, Zune etcc) so this is obviously for coach trips and watching in bed.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
This article includes a screen shot of the different aspect ratios on a 4:3 ipad screen.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/27/watching-movies-on-an-ipad-what-you-see-is-what-you-get/

It's based on the old iPad, but since the screen shape is the same, so is the size of the black bars.

(Note: it's the bottom image that's accurate, not the top one)

It's impossible to say what the aspect ratio would be on a mini iPad since there's no way of even knowing if it is real or rumour.

Steed1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
thanks for that. Appreciated. Any pictures of ipad playing movies would be appreciated as well. thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
thanks for that. Appreciated. Any pictures of ipad playing movies would be appreciated as well. thanks

Made one for you (of the 1:2.35 movie Once Upon a Time in the West ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/ ):

1-235movieth.jpg

(full-sized iPad 3 one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/addac3/1-235movie.jpg )

I've also enabled subtitles in GoodPlayer (and made sure the UI components are visible) so that you can see how much screen area the video occupies.

NOTE: in many 3rd party players (but NOT in the stock Videos app!) you can horizontally stretch the image without (!!!) copping the sides. If you can live with the distorted image because you want as much screen area used as possible, let me know and I list these apps. (I've already collected them for my forthcoming iOS Multimedia bible.)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Last edited:

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
Great.

Sure - it'll also be in the iOS Multimedia bible. It's good for AVI playback even at 1080p or for software-decoded playback at 720p - in that, it's excellent. (Will post a full review soon as a review was asked for in another thread at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1363127/ ) HOWEVER, it can't use HW playback for MOV files, which is a BIG minus.

I tried using QQPlayer for some mkv anime files and the audio wasn't playing correctly...

What's the best player out there for the iPad?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
An iPad can AirPlay movies to an AppleTV3...

It can - as long as the ATV3 CAN play those movies (it won't play MKV's or AVI's).

----------

I tried using QQPlayer for some mkv anime files and the audio wasn't playing correctly...
Yup, I've encountered the same with, say, http://www.auby.no/files/video_test..._vorbis_styled_and_unstyled_subs_suzumiya.mkv

What's the best player out there for the iPad?

A complicated question without an exact answer. If you need to play back stuff up to 720p (but definitely NOT 1080p), GoodPlayer. For 1080p playback, prolly AVPlayerHD. But it also depends on whether that 1080p material is MKV; then, EC Player.

The best is jailbreaking, of course, and using XBMC.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
It can - as long as the ATV3 CAN play those movies (it won't play MKV's or AVI's).

----------

Yup, I've encountered the same with, say, http://www.auby.no/files/video_test..._vorbis_styled_and_unstyled_subs_suzumiya.mkv

A complicated question without an exact answer. If you need to play back stuff up to 720p (but definitely NOT 1080p), GoodPlayer. For 1080p playback, prolly AVPlayerHD. But it also depends on whether that 1080p material is MKV; then, EC Player.

The best is jailbreaking, of course, and using XBMC.

Would be cool that the QQPlayer guys would fix the audio problems.

I'd say it is a great player for the price (free).

But if I really need to play mkv files, then EC Player is your choice for an overall player for the iPad?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
It's the best - but not still good enough. It does stutter every 10-12 second, which is very annoying.

The best is either jailbreaking or remuxing MKV's to M4V (MP4 / MOV) files. With the free(!) Subler (the, IMHO, best MKV demuxer tool), it just takes some minutes. Here's a writeup on Subler and how it compares to the rest: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/watching-videos-taken-max-roundup-mkv-mp4m4v-video-converters

I was trying Subler now but I get an error saying I need xiphQT to convert FLAC audio.

I downloaded it and put it on the designated folder but still get the same error from Subler. (already rebooted)

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Seeing Is Believing.

An easy way to see this for yourself, is go to a local store and check it out. Duh. :eek:

But if you don't like the black bars, just purchase one of the slimmer Android tablets. You just won't get the full benefits of a full screen when you later choose to surf the web.

;) ;) ;)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
An easy way to see this for yourself, is go to a local store and check it out. Duh. :eek:

But if you don't like the black bars, just purchase one of the slimmer Android tablets. You just won't get the full benefits of a full screen when you later choose to surf the web.

;) ;) ;)

Some Android video tester pages (e.g., http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/ ) even state even the Samsung Galaxy S2 has the necessary GPU (without those idiotic restrictions forced by Apple on AppStore iOS devs) power to decode even the most demanding 1080p H.264 AVC streams.

That is, Android seems to be a great platform for video playback. As soon as Samsung releases the new Tab series, I get myself a 7" one and will report on its video playback capabilities.

Steed1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Made one for you (of the 1:2.35 movie Once Upon a Time in the West ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/ ):

(full-sized iPad 3 one: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/addac3/1-235movie.jpg )

I've also enabled subtitles in GoodPlayer (and made sure the UI components are visible) so that you can see how much screen area the video occupies.

NOTE: in many 3rd party players (but NOT in the stock Videos app!) you can horizontally stretch the image without (!!!) copping the sides. If you can live with the distorted image because you want as much screen area used as possible, let me know and I list these apps. (I've already collected them for my forthcoming iOS Multimedia bible.)

thanks, very good of you. I think it should be an ok movie experience with a good set of headphones. I hope they don't release a 7.85 ipad mini. They might take the big ipad off the market if the smaller one sells more.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
iPhone version released! My quick review (sorry for not being formatted, I don't really have the time to convert it to phpBB format; the main points come thru even in this barebones, link-less way):

iPhone version of best free video player QQPlayer released! (+ an iOS programming lesson)

I've pretty much liked (previous review HERE + WMV bible, which also recommends it, HERE) the iPad port of the, on Android, famous and popular video player, QQPlayer. Apart from the (jailbreak-only, excellent) XBMC, it's the only totally free video player I can heartily recommend for most (but not all - see below!) video playback purposes.

The iPhone-specific version has just been released (AppStore link). It's, playback capabilities-, compatibility- and performance-wise, essentially the same as the iPad version. That is, everything I've said about the video format compliance, performance etc. of the iPad version also applies to the new, iPhone one.

(playback of my quarter HD video benchmark file on a Retina-screen iPod touch 4. As usual, click for the original-sized & -quality version.)

(playback of the same file on the non-Retina iPhone 3GS. As you can see, the first screenshot indeed shows the app does make use of the Retina resolution)

The most notable differences between the two versions are as follows:

- as has already been stated, the iPhone version supports the Retina resolution of the iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch 4, unlike the iPad version, which isn't able to render anything at the high resolution of the iPad 3

- the iPhone version doesn't at all use English. It's IMHO not a problem as for example the subtitle / audio track selection is still available with English human names (if available).

Unfortunately, the complete lack of hardware-assisted playback makes this app completely useless for MOV / M4V / MP4 video playback. However, for WMV, MKV etc. playback, it's a very good choice, particularly if you in no way want to pay for your media player and, consequently, don't want to purchase GoodPlayer, AVPlayerHD or “It's playing”.

Some video playback programming...

QQPlayer devs (and, for that matter, anyone without hardware decoding support in their app)! It's SO easy to implement hardware playback and seamlessly implement it into your own app! Just take a look at my video player sources HERE (linked from THIS article), in the DetailView.m file (RootViewController.m “only” makes file selection and filepath passing to DetailView.m possible and is pretty much a standard UITableViewController filehandler descendant), in viewDidLoad. No more than SIX instructions and, again, really easy to integrate in any app... (just make sure you accordingly change [mp.view setFrame:CGRectMake(64/2, 80, 1920/2, 1080/2)]; to display its contents in fullscreen by default, without having to tap the Full screen icon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.