Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
Does anybody have any experience of using iWork for iOS with WebDAV?

Is it really usable if you're out and about on a less-than-speedy wifi connection?

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
FWIW I've been investigating this myself.

iWork doesn't actually work from a WebDAV server. It is simply able to copy things over from one. Any docs copied over then live in iCloud. So updates don't appear on the WebDAV server.

The dream of seamless interoperability with Macs is still a dream until better iCloud integration happens, presumably with Pages 12 and Mountain Lion. This is a shame. :(

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Use it all the time on wifi and 4g (no LTE in my area). Works flawlessly with Dropbox which allows me to edit and save on my iPad and have updated files on all computers. I posted info on iSMEStorage app which I felt was the best WebDAV option for me with instructions on how to set it up. Very simple.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
FWIW I've been investigating this myself.

iWork doesn't actually work from a WebDAV server. It is simply able to copy things over from one. Any docs copied over then live in iCloud. So updates don't appear on the WebDAV server.

The dream of seamless interoperability with Macs is still a dream until better iCloud integration happens, presumably with Pages 12 and Mountain Lion. This is a shame. :(

While you're correct that once downloaded the documents don't automatically updated back to the WebDav server, you are able to copy them back up to the server and overwrite the original. So, it's not seamless but it is possible

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
While you're correct that once downloaded the documents don't automatically updated back to the WebDav server, you are able to copy them back up to the server and overwrite the original. So, it's not seamless but it is possible

Ah! I didn't realise this and did look hard. Can you explain how?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ah! I didn't realise this and did look hard. Can you explain how?

Go to the view where you are looking at thumbnails of all your documents. Tap "edit" in the top right corner. Select document(s) you want to copy to WebDav. Tap arrow icon in top left corner. You'll now see several options for sharing the file(s), one of which is copy to WebDav.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
Go to the view where you are looking at thumbnails of all your documents. Tap "edit" in the top right corner. Select document(s) you want to copy to WebDav. Tap arrow icon in top left corner. You'll now see several options for sharing the file(s), one of which is copy to WebDav.

Cool. Thanks for the instructions. I've just tried it, and it's not very intuitive but it'll do :)

I initially thought that iOS Pages would save incremental updates to the file, say every five minutes. But this would create a lot of network traffic.

I'm actually quite happy to leave the doc on a WebDAV share and, if I edit it using Pages on an iPad, simply reshare with the WebDAV once I've finished.

I'm surprised how seamlessly WebDAV shares work on OS X on my Macbook. I can sleep the notebook and when I resume the WebDAV share reconnects as if nothing has happened. The only issue is if I go to a new location with a different IP address while the notebook is sleeping. I get a confused error message.

Proper invisible syncing would be better. I'm really hoping this arrives with iCloud's integration into Mountain Lion, and that Apple doesn't keep-up the weird segregation of iOS files. I've not really seen anything like it yet in Mountain Lion, however (I'm a paid-up dev).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.