Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the early '90s, one of the premier PC games was 7th Guest. It was the first game to use full rendered 3D animation and navigation, and Bill Gates called it "the new standard in interactive entertainment". Trilobyte, the company that made 7th Guest and its sequel, The 11th Hour, eventually went out of business.

However, some members of the original Trilobyte team have ported The 7th Guest to iPhone and iPad, as well as the Mac App Store. For May Day, Trilobyte is offering both the iOS and Mac versions of their games for free, down from $4.99 and $9.99. Also free is 7th Guest: Infection, a specially rebuilt puzzle built for the iPad.

7thguest.jpg

"Welcome to my ... house!" Old Man Stauf built a house and filled it with his toys. Six guests were invited one night, their screams the only noise...

In the world of The 7th Guest, you are an active and mysterious entity known only as "Ego". Your role, identity and purpose is not known or explained, rather, it is experienced as a seamlessly integral part of the total environment that is the Stauf mansion. Because you are looking out from within, you cannot see yourself, but your inner spirit has a voice. Listen to it.

The house of The 7th Guest is filled with 19 devilishly clever puzzles that will test your wits and scare you out of them as well. To complete the game you must solve every puzzle in the house - only then will the secrets of the madman Henry Stauf be revealed to you.
The 7th Guest is available as both a universal iOS app (normally $4.99, Direct Link) and on the Mac App Store (normally $9.99, Direct Link).

The 7th Guest: Infection is available for the iPad, normally $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PC Classic '7th Guest' Free on iOS and Mac Today Only

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Sweet!!!

Awesome. I loved this game when I played it years ago.

Nabby

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Never heard of it, probably because of the reason that I was one year old when it has been realeased, lol. Gonna try it right now!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
This game was almost ruined by the poor quality of the CD ROM readers of the day. Best available was 2x speed (yes 2x) and most were 1x with pull-out/push-in caddies etc. Scenes had to loaded one at a time from the CD ROM - so not very interactive. Be great to see how it works now !

Wow, it's great ! Zips along at an unimaginable rate (from memory). For some of these old games there should be a "slow" mode where the game adds wait cycles to mimic operation on the 486 of the time.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
This game was almost ruined by the poor quality of the CD ROM readers of the day. Best available was 2x speed (yes 2x) and most were 1x with pull-out/push-in caddies etc. Scenes had to loaded one at a time from the CD ROM - so not very interactive. Be great to see how it works now !

Wow, it's great ! Zips along at an unimaginable rate (from memory). For some of these old games there should be a "slow" mode where the game adds wait cycles to mimic operation on the 486 of the time.

The full screen video on a 486 was amazing, at the time, even if the framerate was poor.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
My first CD-ROM game. Played on Windows 3.1/DOS 5.0 (or maybe 6) using an external NEC Multispin (2x) SCSI reader and Pro Audio Studio sound card.

What was it that the game displayed upon completion of a puzzle? "The puzzle has been solved", or something like that. :D

zzebi

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Can't wait!

One of my all time favorite games ... for free ... on my iPad!!!
I remember running it first on a 386 then a 486. It needed a 4x CD drive for smooth playback. The full motion video looked mind-blowing back then. But the game itself is awesome too, regardless of the graphics.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
I was like 4 or 5 years old when I tried to play this. Was too scared.

I was probably a preteen, but the puzzles were still too hard for me. I had to buy the $20 strategy guide that walked through the whole game. That book was huge!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I remember seeing this advertised when I was about ten, and it looked really interesting. Of course, I couldn't afford to buy games back then so it's great to finally get the chance to play a classic that I missed out on :)

Edit: Although after clicking on a bed and hearing moaning, I'm not sure that my parents would have approved! :p

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
According to a review the MAS version is missing puzzles. Are they there on the iOS version?

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
"Never heard of it", "I was a pre-teen", "I was only a year old" ...

As if I weren't feeling old enough right now ;)

*downloads on her iphone, sets reminder to dload on computer when she gets home*

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Awesome memories! This game freaked me out as a kid.

My memory of this game was seeing it running on a demo PC in a computer store somewhere. I wanted to check out the PC, so I tried to discreetly quit out of the game... only to have it yell "COME BACK!!!!!!" out of the speakers which were set to pretty full volume.

I think the entire store stopped and turned :eek:

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
mike pocaro

Wow, I was in a play once directed by one of the actors in that video game (7th guest)...Mike Pocaro. He was the guy with the British accent and I guess eventually gets hanged over the pool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.