Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Gates cat

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Give it a go!

I've been a blood donor forever and a platelet donor for over 8 years now, reaching over 108 donations. Everyone should give it a go. You never know, someone you know might need it one day!!!

ironpw

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Triple Unit from Torrance, CA

platelet.jpg

3 Platelet units!

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I asked the doctor last month if I could Donate and was told it was best not to donate at this time due to getting Dizzy on the Blood pressure medicine to control protein in my Kidneys.

My friend at work's mother needed a bunch of blood recently and it certainly helped save her life. My dad needed several pints of blood in the past as well.

Thanks to all the Donators you really make a difference

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I just registered to become a blood donor a couple of months ago. I have been to the preliminary blood test and health inspection, but haven't yet been called in for donation. I really hope I'll get to donate some soon.

I have been a registered organ donor (full permission) since turning 18 three years ago. I am thinking about registering for bone marrow donation as well.

I can only encourage people to donate as much as possible to help those in need! I think it's a wonderful thought that my organs, tissue, sinew and so on might help save someone's life after I die.

DrJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Lots of gay

I am not gay, but lots of my friends are. I am also a doctor. But lots of reasons here ad lots of gay... who cannot donate. 10X than the statistics. Why ? If you don't want donate, please do not post.:mad:

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Crazy cows!

I was told I couldn't donate when I tried a couple of years ago, something about living in the UK for a period in the 80s and some crazy cows!

BlueFinch

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Hamm, Germany
Theoretically increased risk of transmission of blood borne viruses via penetrative anal sex, namely Hepatitis B/C and HIV. In the UK, they are relaxing the rules to allow celibate men to donate.

Oh come on, every Single woman could also fall under this Description. Silly World...

In Germany its the same. But i cant remember that they asked me about my Sexual preferences...

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
I am not gay, but lots of my friends are. I am also a doctor. But lots of reasons here ad lots of gay... who cannot donate. 10X than the statistics. Why ? If you don't want donate, please do not post.:mad:

Your post does not make sense, doctor. Please use correct spelling, proper grammar and complete sentences.

I'm sure you know many people CANNOT donate, not that they do not want to.

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
Theoretically increased risk of transmission of blood borne viruses via penetrative anal sex, namely Hepatitis B/C and HIV. In the UK, they are relaxing the rules to allow celibate men to donate.

This part really grinds my gears. The rules want us to believe that men who have sex with men (after 1977) are a threat to the rest of the population. There are plenty of straight guys and girls that are having sex without condoms. It just takes time to curb the hysteria that was the AIDS crisis and get an administration to believe what science can tell us now, not what it was.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Could you, someone explan me where the Problem is?:confused:

Blood is blood

Blood isn't blood. Blood is a fluid that can carry all sorts of pathogens. There are a number of blood born diseases, and while there are tests for many (but not all) of them, the best way to keep them out of the blood supply is not to accept blood from at-risk groups.

Unfortunate as it is, sexually active gay men are a risk group for HIV. The voluntary deferral - asking said man not to give blood - was something of a political compromise. Gay men were, during the 1980's, justifiably concerned about individual level testing for Hep C and later HIV, worried that it would be used to target them. The government and the blood banks wanted to keep the blood supply safe. "Please don't give blood" was as unobtrusive a compromise as could be made.

The restrictions are being reduced - blood banks would like gay men back, they were good donors back in the day - but it takes time, and the FDA/HHS is extremely cautious about the blood supply. There's been increasing pressure in recent years, and most organizations are actively on board, so hopefully it'll be gone soon.

Incidentally, other people who shouldn't be giving blood are here: http://www.redcrossblood.org/donati...nts/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing

They include things like people who were jailed for more than 3 days in the last year, anyone who had sex with someone with hepatitis, any IV drug user ever, anyone who travelled to the malaria belt last year (or 3 years for folks who lived there), anyone who got a tattoo in the last 12 months unless it was done in a state that regulated tattoo facilities. Anyone who was in Iraq in the last 12 months. Born or lived in West Africa ever - or had close contact with them - anyone who lived for 3+ months in the UK between 1980 and 1996, or since 1980 have lived in Europe for 5 or so years.

This part really grinds my gears. The rules want us to believe that men who have sex with men (after 1977) are a threat to the rest of the population. There are plenty of straight guys and girls that are having sex without condoms.

Technically, there are also a large number of straight guys and girls who shouldn't be giving blood either if they're members of high risk groups. The gay one gets a great deal of attention, but you can be straight as straight can be, and if you're an injection drug user, have taken money, drugs or any sort of payment for having sex, *had sex with anyone* who did any of the above, was born in West Africa - or had sex with those people.

The HIV/AIDS deferrals are extensive. Probably rivaled only by the vCJD ones.

I can however finally give blood again this year. Haven't for about a decade due to one restriction or another, but its been more than 12 months since my last trip to the malaria belt. At last the world can share in my sweet, sweet O- goodness.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Lived in too many crazy places. My blood has been blacklisted. T.T

Can't donate blood because I'm gay.

Ditto... and it's certainly something I'd love to do!

I didnt know that:confused:...I just came out so i wont be either then. SMH

Would if I could, but they won't my dirty gay blood.

Yep me too...its funny, I've been in a male-male monogamous relationship for 2 & 1/2 years yet I still can't...and I'm a doctor!

13 years in a monogomous male-male relationship and I, too, am a pariah.

I'm gay... my blood must be poison.

Also, if there's any single gay male doctors left I'm available...

+1 - this stupid rule should be abolished.

Could you, someone explan me where the Problem is?:confused:

Blood is blood

In the early years of the AIDS epidemic, a rule was established that anyone who had ever had a same-sex male-male encounter was ineligible to donate.

Today, this is anachronistic - since not only is testing able to eliminate almost all HIV-positive blood from the supply, but also because hetersexual HIV transmission is significant. Being straight doesn't meant that you can't get HIV.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I've had a blood transfusion and couple plasma donations given to me when I was going through my shindig with cancer, so it's definitely a good cause. Would donate myself but cancer patients/survivors I'm pretty sure are barred from doing so.

pwaryuex

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Blood isn't blood. Blood is a fluid that can carry all sorts of pathogens.

Which are screened for. There are no excuses; the literature shows that men who engage in homosexual behaviour who want to donate are as likely to be healthy than the average person. In fact, this literature shows that many of these men would be happy to get tested and carry a certificate to the blood bank -- for whatever it's worth, as everything is tested there, anyway.

As for unknown pathogens, well straight people may be as likely to carry them.

I like how someone's down-voting all the gay people. Classy.

bluecrabby

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Washington, DC
Would love to

I'd love to and used to give as often as Red Cross would allow in high school but I'm gay and alas cannot. Thanks to everyone else who can and do, hopefully one day soon I will be able to as well. :(

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I would but...apparently gay blood is still tainted with AIDS so I'm not a viable donor. Maybe next lifetime!

Creepyunclejay

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Wow I've been a big fan of this site but have never posted. I am actually in charge of a blood drive this Saturday!! So if anyone near Lehighton pa wants. Please get a hold of me. Great cause to support!!

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Which are screened for.

Not all of them. As far as I'm aware, there's no reliable, inexpensive (a key thing when talking about blood) test for vCJD.

There are no excuses; the literature shows that men who engage in homosexual behaviour who want to donate are as likely to be healthy than the average person. In fact, this literature shows that many of these men would be happy to get tested and carry a certificate to the blood bank -- for whatever it's worth, as everything is tested there, anyway.

And I don't disagree. The voluntary deferral made sense at the time, and was a workable compromise between several groups to protect the blood supply. It's no longer particularly well supported, which is why many groups are pushing to have it revoked, and I expect it will be in the next decade. But bans like that take a long time to get lifted.

As for unknown pathogens, well straight people may be as likely to carry them.

Which is probably why the vast majority of restrictions on blood donation apply to straight people as well. Heck, even the sexually active gay men ban in HIV is a subset of the overall HIV ban.

I like how someone's down-voting all the gay people. Classy.

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.